• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Vasoconstriction/feeling cold on psychedelics? Try low-dose aspirin.

AA357

Bluelighter
Hi,

Sometimes when I'm on 2C-E (especially when I take 30mg+), I get the chills. I shiver a lot and feel very cold, especially in my extremities.
I have been looking into remedies for this as it is a bit worrying. 2C-E doesn't appear to be cardiotoxic in and of itself, but I figure that such vasoconstriction is probably not too good for my heart. Given that it activates 5HT2A receptors, I wouldn't be surprised if it interferes with platelet aggregation.

Anyway: 75mg aspirin (a quarter of a tablet) before a trip seems to help quite a bit. AFAIK it doesn't actually promote vasodilation but it does noticeably improve circulation - probably through its antiplatelet effect.

Alcohol also has antiplatelet properties. Not as much as aspirin, but it also doubles up as a highly effective vasodilator. I would strongly recommend drinking a couple of units during the come-up.
Oh, and stay stoned! Cannabis is well-known to promote vasodilation.

Other than that, stay hydrated and well nourished.

What makes you think that there is vasoconstriction?

Think about stimulants, which cause more genital shrinkage (a nice obvious indicator) and then think about whether that feels uncomfortable or cold.

Then also think about the measuring instrument that you are using in this instance. Could its accuracy be affected by a pretty huge dose of a very powerful psychedelic drug? The answer is yes.

If I hear one more person call the phenomenon formerly known as "body load" vasoconstriction without giving a blood pressure reading I think I might pop!

Just a heads up about taking aspirin as recommended. I'm not allowed (medically) to take aspirin because as a particular NSAID it gets metabolized in the same set of cytochromes in the liver as my very necessary ant-hypertensive medications. Also not allowed to take Tylenol, Ibuprofen and Naproxen, etc. The result of taking these mild pain killers/anti inflammatory drugs is to have a wildly varying circulating plasma level of my Trandate and Amiodipine meds, possibly leading to what is known as orthostatic hypotension.

As a precaution, anyone who is considering this and is on antihypertensive meds.....talk to your doctor first.

AA357; I understand where you're coming from about getting the chills. It's happened to me before on mushrooms and (more severely, but not to a worrying extent) 4-HO-DiPT. I monitor by blood pressure when tripping sometimes, and at least as far as the drugs I consume I don't consider it an issue. Worst case is when I have to wrap myself up in a blanket. For *some* people taking aspirin is dangerous.

Tom

Think about stimulants, which cause more genital shrinkage (a nice obvious indicator) and then think about whether that feels uncomfortable or cold.

Then also think about the measuring instrument that you are using in this instance. Could its accuracy be affected by a pretty huge dose of a very powerful psychedelic drug? The answer is yes.

If I hear one more person call the phenomenon formerly known as "body load" vasoconstriction without giving a blood pressure reading I think I might pop!

@Transform, I hope you don't pop, but I think it would be hard to argue against vasoconstriction being the factor to blame for the majority of "body-load" situations reported on psychedelics.

My experience is mostly with lysergamides, and they all give me vasoconstriction that is usually not particularly bothersome, but can get unpleasant at higher doses. Stiff muscles, check. Genital shrinkage, check. "The chills", check. Paleness, tendency towards paresthesia, the list goes on and on. To be honest I would find it ridiculous to even contemplate that there's any chance vasoconstriction might not actually be happening during lysergamide trips.

As for blood pressure, I'm not sure what you're aiming at, but I do take my blood pressure with a high-precision medical instrument during trips sometimes, and it's always higher than my usual low blood pressure situation, which is another "check" as far as vasoconstriction is concerned.

My usual pre-trip regimen of 100mg Aspirin, 400mg Magnesium supplement, 250mg niacin (this is probably too much, but what can I say - I love my B vitamins), a "b-complex" pill and perhaps a drink or two on the come-up usually alleviates vasoconstriction to the point where it's not a concern.

Last edited:
Unreal

Do you have a MD degree AA357?

Seeing as this is a harm reduction board I feel this thread should be closed and removed, as there is absolutely zero reason why anyone here should be trying to practice medicine.

I mean it's all good and happy that there may be some smart people here and people with a lot of experience doig drugs

But to think that you should be giving medical advice in any fashion is not safe and not in your scope of knowledge unless your sporting a medical degree, and anyone who IS a lisenced practitioner sure as hell knows better than doing that over a drug forum

I know my body and I have taken 2C-E well over 100 times.
Pale skin, goosebumps, numbness and discoloration in my fingers and toes, erect nipples, hairs standing up and yes - genital shrinkage - all indicate that there is vasoconstriction.

Just a heads up about taking aspirin as recommended. I'm not allowed (medically) to take aspirin because as a particular NSAID it gets metabolized in the same set of cytochromes in the liver as my very necessary ant-hypertensive medications. Also not allowed to take Tylenol, Ibuprofen and Naproxen, etc. The result of taking these mild pain killers/anti inflammatory drugs is to have a wildly varying circulating plasma level of my Trandate and Amiodipine meds, possibly leading to what is known as orthostatic hypotension.

As a precaution, anyone who is considering this and is on antihypertensive meds.....talk to your doctor first.

AA357; I understand where you're coming from about getting the chills. It's happened to me before on mushrooms and (more severely, but not to a worrying extent) 4-HO-DiPT. I monitor by blood pressure when tripping sometimes, and at least as far as the drugs I consume I don't consider it an issue. Worst case is when I have to wrap myself up in a blanket. For *some* people taking aspirin is dangerous.

Tom
Agreed.
Another thing I will say is that it also increases the risk of internal bleeding so I wouldn't advocate taking it regularly unless you have been advised to do so by a doctor. Infrequent usage is safe for most people though.

Unreal

Do you have a MD degree AA357?

Seeing as this is a harm reduction board I feel this thread should be closed and removed, as there is absolutely zero reason why anyone here should be trying to practice medicine.

I mean it's all good and happy that there may be some smart people here and people with a lot of experience doig drugs

But to think that you should be giving medical advice in any fashion is not safe and not in your scope of knowledge unless your sporting a medical degree, and anyone who IS a lisenced practitioner sure as hell knows better than doing that over a drug forum
Practicing medicine? LOL let's not blow things out of proportion.

I realized quite a while ago that a can or two of beer is a highly effective remedy for 2C-E chills. You don't need to have a doctorate to be able to see what's going on here - it's common sense. The chills are caused by impaired circulation and the alcohol attenuates this by promoting vasodilation and thinning the blood. I wondered if aspirin could help and sure enough it does. Not as well as alcohol but it has a noticeable effect.

Thanks for the tip, I usually get cold on tryptamines in the winter time and I've gotten stiff on LSD. Usually, I just stretch a bunch and put on a couple pairs of pants and some wool socks. Feels awesome (especially stretching.

Probably best not to jump to conclusions on this definitely being vasoconstriction: correlation does not imply causation.

Thanks for the tip, I usually get cold on tryptamines in the winter time and I've gotten stiff on LSD. Usually, I just stretch a bunch and put on a couple pairs of pants and some wool socks. Feels awesome (especially stretching.
That also helps but I don't particularly like clothing when I'm tripping. If the environment you're in isn't even cold then IMO it's better to tackle the problem from within.

Probably best not to jump to conclusions on this definitely being vasoconstriction: correlation does not imply causation.
Let's see:

- Psychedelics (in particular psychedelic phenethylamines) are known to cause vasoconstriction that is dose-dependent.
- 25-35mg 2C-E is considered to be a heavy dose.
- The symptoms of vasoconstriction are easy to spot if you know the first thing about your body. Goosebumps, shrivelled nipples/scrotum and numbness in extremities on a warm day = vasoconstriction. It's not that bad but I would still rather not have to experience it.

So aspirin is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agent. It prevents platelet aggregation to an extent and also provides mild anti pyritic properties (controls over heating a bit). Not something I'd recommend. It can increase the risk of blood vessel rupture especially in the brain if blood pressure I raised. See vasoconstriction creates narrower blood vessels, raised heart rate, increased pressure on walls of blood vessels. Add aspirin and the risk of prolonged bleeding from these micro cva's is increased.

Prob not to dangerous short term but long term?? Use a benzo to lower heart rate, stroke volume etc. This lowers pressure on blood vessel walls. It also reduces vasoconstriction by relaxing and dilating blood vessels. Hope this advice is helpful.

Wouldn't Ginkgo Biloba be helpful for vasoconstriction? And would it hurt to combine it with psychedelics, are there contra-indications?

A friend of mine had a seizure after taking LSD the same day as taking ginko. He had no history of seizures but had a long history with psychedelics.

LSD has never caused noticeable vasoconstriction for me, but this is a great idea for my DOC trips - I've had much worse vasoconstriction from NBOMe, standard amphetamines, even really excessive amounts of caffeine, but I definitely have noticed some vasoconstriction in my hands & legs at times when I get past the 10mg mark - none up to that point however.