Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Vaping DMT with a MFLB

LostAtomsk

Bluelighter
Hi everyone,

First off, I wanna state that I've been reading up about vaping DMT most of last evening and the influx of information is simply staggering. There's so many ways of launching off on DMT, that I can barely keep track. I've also searched this forum (those 15 second cooldowns between searches certainly don't help :)), but I haven't gotten anywhere. Also, please take into account that I'm not at all experienced in drugs, other than sticking tabs of LSD under my tongue. Lastly, I'm not a native English speaker, so please bear with me as I trudge through all the acronyms, synonyms and other tongue-in-cheek-references.

* The following is precursor. Skip to next bullet point if you want to get to my question :)

So! Recently, me and a few friends decided to try DMT. One of my friends is a breaking-bad-evil-mad-scientist-genius and extracted DMT from mimosa hostilis. Meanwhile, another friend created a machine from a glass bottle with a hole in it, copperwire, some mesh and a lighter. Off we went, added the DMT did a few attempts, but nothing at all happened, other than submerging ourselves in the scent of burnt sneakers. We tried different techniques, looked up stuff and only one of us had a breakthrough. Most of us didn't have any effect, whatsoever.

This leads us to believe that our techniques and our apparatus, despite our best efforts, were wrong. We don't know anyone outside our group that has any experience, so we're on our own here. I would hate wasting my friends' cooked up spice, so I turned to the web about the machine, and different ways of getting DMT. None of us are experienced smokers and none of us really like weed, so freebasing/sandwhiching dmt with weed, isn't an option.

So we turn to vaping. I looked up ecigs, but there's just too many alternatives and too little solid information. People report successes by hacking disposable ecigs, but ecigs and vaping is an entire subculture on its own that I have a hard wrapping my head around. So one thing lead to another and I wound up with a US manufacturer that makes handmade "launch boxes". I'll refrain from dropping names, but it looks like this. I hope the mods don't mind me posting this picture.

* So, on to the rest!
From the research I've done, I'm thinking of doing the following:
- Order this box. The little tray in the middles is used to put the DMT in.
- A battery heats up the tray to the point where the DMT doesn't burn, but turn into vape.
- The heat reases up to the closed glass and an attached whip tube allows to suck up the vape, cooling the vapour down along the way.
- A few tokes are apparently required to achieve breakthrough. Everything is enclosed and the battery takes care of the heating, so the application is fairly safe, I'd hope.

But!
I don't have the slightest idea HOW to put the DMT in there, in what form? I've seen a few possibilites:
- Putting a sandwich of weed and DMT in there? Although we prefer not to involve weed.
- Dissolving the DMT crystal in propylene glycol and using that as a tincture

Or are both viable methods? I'm lost here, I'd be happy if some experienced psychonaut could help us out. Thanks!

I'm pretty sure that your supposed to place your dmt straight in the box, without anything else. After all, the vaporizer in question is a modified version of the original MFLB, made with the intention of creating a box which would be better suited for extracts. I wouldn't buy it though, if what your looking for is breakthrough experiences. A "one hitter" device which is capable of holding enough vapor to produce a breakthrough experience would be much better imo. What you have there can't hold much vapor at all, so you are most likely going to have to hit it multiple times. Also, keep in mind that the MFLB requires some training before you are able to use it to it's full potential, even more so if you don't buy the power adaptor to go with the box. With the batteries, you'll most likely end up wasting a lot of product before you get the technique right. I bet a crack pipe would work just as well as the MFLB for this specific purpose. On another note, to me, it sounds like you might be heating your DMT too much - in my experience, that foul burning plastic taste only gets really bad once it reaches a temperature well above the point at which it vaporizes. If you aren't doing so already, you should also remember to keep the vapor down for 20+ seconds. The first few times I did DMT I only got minor effects because I heated it too much and only keept it down for 5 seconds or so. 20-30 seconds + proper temperature = completely different story.

I'm pretty sure that your supposed to place your dmt straight in the box, without anything else. After all, the vaporizer in question is a modified version of the original MFLB, made with the intention of creating a box which would be better suited for extracts. I wouldn't buy it though, if what your looking for is breakthrough experiences. A "one hitter" device which is capable of holding enough vapor to produce a breakthrough experience would be much better imo. What you have there can't hold much vapor at all, so you are most likely going to have to hit it multiple times.
Thanks for helping out!
Good advice. Further research shows that people put multiple trays into the box to get a breakthrough dose. I don't mind hitting multiple times, though.

Also, keep in mind that the MFLB requires some training before you are able to use it to it's full potential, even more so if you don't buy the power adaptor to go with the box. With the batteries, you'll most likely end up wasting a lot of product before you get the technique right.
You're absolutely right. It seems a lot of the experience conercening DMT revolves around preparation and "settling into it", before even hitting the DMT. For that reason, I was planning to order the box, along with some mint extract, to get used to vaping. I have no experience as a smoker, in no area, whatsoever. With much help from a friend, I've only done Salvia through an improvised bong, but that's it.
Then again, I suppose vaping DMT and vaping anything else are apparently two completely different things, right? You're saying to go for the full toke and holding the vape as long as possible? Could practice with a "harmless" substance like mint extract?

I bet a crack pipe would work just as well as the MFLB for this specific purpose.
Well, therein lies my goal, I want to be able to find a solution that allows us to reliably breakthrough on DMT, with as little hassle, modding, improvising, etc. as possible. That's why I went on a hunt to find something like the MFLB. I actually don't have the slightest clue what a crackpipe entails.
In other words, if you have a suggestion of a ready made, suitable device to use DMT with, we're very much open to suggestions. I settled on the MFLB because it had such glowing reviews (but not specifically on using DMT). If you can point me what to look for, in google, I'd love to know. I've heard a lot about a certain genie device, but not sure if it's suitable. I found a few trip reports that proved the genie to be ideal for weed, but not for DMT. Hmpf.

On another note, to me, it sounds like you might be heating your DMT too much - in my experience, that foul burning plastic taste only gets really bad once it reaches a temperature well above the point at which it vaporizes. If you aren't doing so already, you should also remember to keep the vapor down for 20+ seconds. The first few times I did DMT I only got minor effects because I heated it too much and only keept it down for 5 seconds or so. 20-30 seconds + proper temperature = completely different story.
This is true, we used a small bottle about the size of a tabasco bottle. the DMT was inserted in some wire mesh, put into the bottle neck and a copper wire was inserted into it to guide the heat. In the bottom of the bottle, we drilled a small hole to inhale from.

In retrospect, the design was far from perfect and the method used was incorrect. On a first try, the flame was put directly under the bottle, which did produce smoke, but a very harsh one. Very strong scent as well. On other tries, we held the flame away from the bottle, but probably made other errors in our trial-and-error approach. Not disregarding the fact that we were all in an LSD afterglow and not entirely focused :) Inhaling directly from the bottle just burnt my lips, lol :) I did get a bit woozy and a bit of a funny feeling in my feet/legs, but that's most I could say.
For anyone else reading this, take my advice: be sure to research your stuff :)

Forgot to get back to you, sorry.

Further research shows that people put multiple trays into the box to get a breakthrough dose. I don't mind hitting multiple times, though.

The thing about DMT and multiple hits is that it gets a lot more difficult to reach a true breakthrough experience. Once you inhale the first hit, your bodys monoamineoxidase (MAO) enzymes gets activated and starts to break the DMT down into inactive metabolites. That's why DMT ain't orally active unless it's consumed in conjuction with a monoamineoxidase inhibitor (MAOI).

The MFLB would take this problem even further, because the amount of vapor that you're able to inhale in one hit is much larger than what the box is able to hold, so one lung would equal several hits on the MFLB. In other words, the first vapor will reach your bloodstream before your even done with your first hit = instant tolerance development.

Then again, I suppose vaping DMT and vaping anything else are apparently two completely different things, right? You're saying to go for the full toke and holding the vape as long as possible? Could practice with a "harmless" substance like mint extract?

Well no, not exactly. Vaping is vaping and smoking is smoking but every substance is different from the next one and thus will require a slightly different approach regarding temperature, how long you hold the hits and which vaporizer device might be the best to use.
Yes, in order to reach a true breakthrough experience, inhaling as much as possible and holding it in for 20-30 seconds would be ideal. I wouldn't hold it longer than 30 seconds on purpose though, as I don't think this would result in more DMT getting absorbed but could give you a light headed feeling - not that any of this is going to matter if you actually get a good lungful or two 'cause after the 30 second mark, you'll most likely have no sense of time anyways.
Seeing as you are new to the whole vaping thing, a little practice with an inactive herb might be a good idea yes but use google and find something that has been vaped by someone else before so that you don't end up having a bad experience.

Well, therein lies my goal, I want to be able to find a solution that allows us to reliably breakthrough on DMT, with as little hassle, modding, improvising, etc. as possible. That's why I went on a hunt to find something like the MFLB. I actually don't have the slightest clue what a crackpipe entails.
In other words, if you have a suggestion of a ready made, suitable device to use DMT with, we're very much open to suggestions. I settled on the MFLB because it had such glowing reviews (but not specifically on using DMT). If you can point me what to look for, in google, I'd love to know. I've heard a lot about a certain genie device, but not sure if it's suitable. I found a few trip reports that proved the genie to be ideal for weed, but not for DMT. Hmpf.

A crack pipe is a little glass device made for vaping. It's cheap, easy to use but by no means the best device for reaching a breakthrough level of intensity due to the problem of having to take multiple hits.

Do some of your friends have a bong with a somewhat deep bowl? If so, you could try out the sandwich method.

First, you fill the bowl 75% with an inactive herb, on top of this you put your DMT in as thin a layer as possible (as in, no clumps or hot spots) and on top of the DMT you put some ashes (from cigarettes or what ever) until the bowl is full.

Now you can heat the DMT without the flame touching it directly. When done correctly, it should vaporize instead of causing combustion of the material. With this method and a somewhat large bong, you could fill the chamber with the vapor from say, 30 mg DMT, without it ever reaching your lungs before you choose to let it do so and when you inhale, you would get the whole 30 mg in one hit. Hold that for 20-30 seconds and you'll get blown away. Only problem might be that you aren't able to inhale such large hits given your pretty virgin lungs ;)

This link might be of some value to you. If you haven't done so already, you should definitely check that site out.

https://www.dmt-nexus.me/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=34242

Side note: If you aren't very experienced with other psychedelics in high doses, I would start out low, like 10 mg, and increase no more than 5 mg at a time. It's one thing that DMT is a very powerful psychedelic but consuming any drug in a way that get's said drug into the bloodstream fast will dramatically change the intensity and effects compared to oral consumption and going from sober to full blown psychedelic effects in a matter of seconds can be too much for some people. Better safe than sorry, right.

Last edited by a moderator:
The best way I've ever used was "the machine" a device that's easy to make that was invented by someone on here, involving an empty single-serve (ie, tiny bottle) glass liquor bottle and some chore boy steel scrubbing stuff. If you search "the machine" there's a big thread about it. basically the gist of it is that you put the DMT in the opening which has the steel mesh and heat the neck just a bit to melt and disperse the DMT into it, then heat the neck and inhale through the hole you punch in the other end. The flame evenly heats the mesh and the vapor is easily and quickly released into the chamber and your lungs. My friends and I have tried various methods but this one works the best for us. I suspect a meth-style pipe would work really well too. The idea is to quickly vaporize without burning, but where you get big, thick hits. The only vaporizer box I've used in the format of your link didn't seem to heat quickly enough. I didn't try it with DMT though, and it's just this one brand designed to vaporizer marijuana that my girlfriend has. So maybe that thing you linked to would work well, I don't know.