• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Vapeing while on Benzos.

Mad Dash

Bluelight Crew
As I am sure many of you know cigarette smoking causes about a 50% decrease in your benzos strength. I was wondering if you all have noticed the same thing with vapeing? It is a specific chemical that comes from smoking tobacco that causes it and I really am not able to find much evidence that vapeing contains it except for in some anti-vaping pages. So I just wanted to see what you think from personal experience. Abstain from benzo use or should it matter?

I don't smoke, but I *think* that it is nicotine and/or a metabolite that is responsible for this interaction. Read the package insert for the benzo in question and look for counter-indications and drug interaction info, or just read the whole doc., they're an ok source for pre-marketting study results, and are sometimes updated when new, significant interactions are discovered post-marketting. Nicotine interactions would warrent a label change.

You may well know all this already, if so I hope it helps others with researching prescribed drug interactions. The online drug interaction web sites are terribly conservative, ime.

And I bet if I take the time to read up on my alpraz/Oxaz/Diaz info sheets there is no mention of this interaction. Ffs, I bet a lot of benzo users like myself smoke cigarettes - kinda comes with that "nervous" territory - is this why I have to take larger start doses than my Dr's would like. Start dose for me being alpraz naïve was 1-2mg, Oxazepam 60-90mgs, Valium 50mgs...........these are my current start doses for threshold effects on my anxiety.

If this is true, I'm willing to cut down my smoking cos eating a sheet of valium ( 10 x 5mgs ) is making me look bad.

I take 1mg Clonazepam per night and vape all day, and I've never noticed any decrease in the benzo's effects.

Abstain from benzo use or should it matter?
Why abstain? If you're getting less effects you should up the dose, shouldn't you? XD
But seriously, I don't get it. Why abstain from benzos then? You just have to adjust the dose.

Actually the vape question is a good one, because it is not the nicotine that causes this effect it is actually polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH) and other tar-like compounds in tobacco smoke that increase the activity of liver enzymes thus decreasing the effectiveness of many benzos. For example: (dip, chew, snus, gum, patches, etc...) do not have any kind of effect on benzos. So the question remains do e-cigs produce PAHs? And if they do at what level?

I would imagine the higher the temp at which the e-juice burns the higher the likelihood that it would produce PAHs. I would imagine drip tanks with mechanical mods or box mods set to 100+ watts would have a higher likelihood of doing this than say someone using a subtank or atlantis on a sub-ohm setup.

Not a whole lot of studies have been done on e-cigs so I do not know if they emit PAHs or not. If they do, it will effect it. If not then you are good to go.

edit: actually I just found this http://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/122-a244/

E-cigarettes may also expose bystanders to emissions, although research in this area is only just beginning. One team of researchers observed increased indoor air levels—albeit less than those associated with tobacco cigarettes—of coarse particulate matter, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, and aluminum following indoor vaping sessions lasting two hours each.

So, I guess it is possible but the studies do not mention the specifics, AKA: wattage, juice used, temp, coil setup, etc.