• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Valproate as an anti-androgen - implications?

dopamimetic

Bluelighter
So valproate seems to antagonize both androgens as well as estrogens, at concentrations below the therapeutic threshold. This probably means that one can become impotent from it, but then again not everybody gets that, according to my doctor it seems to hit only a fraction (he didn't know of any case personally).

Does this mean that it isn't that effective as an antagonist? Because with the real anti-androgens, it's just a matter of time until the effects set in. People charged for rape etc. are sometimes forced to take one of them in order to get released, and I've read that they are able to bring some relief in the mind too, alleviating sex drive and maybe (hopefully) also the desire for intimacy and all that.

If the valproate does nothing for me in this regard, would getting on cyproterone be an option?

The in vitro data may overestimate the actual antagonist activity in humans.

I wouldn't recommend taking an antiandrogen.

Yeah probably that's the case here.

But well for me currently it's one of the only options I have left ... cyproterone, if it works, or I'll go out and buy opioids rather sooner than later. They are known for numbing these feelings ... :/

I thought it worked backwards then a AA.
That's why they monitor your intake
depending on what you want out of it, they generally stop treatment
Atleast I didn't notice a change in that aspect
Good for sleep:p