View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Valium then LSD

cooh

Greenlighter
I have no benzo tolerance. I plan on taking 5mg of valium at 12:30 PM and during the night, at 8:30 PM, taking a tab of LSD. After 8 hours the psychoactive effects of the valium should be done with (I am assuming), but it has a long half life and will still be in my system. With this in mind, will taking 5mg of valium 8 hours before LSD dampen the trip at all?

wikipedia lists the half-life of diazepam as 20-100 hours and of alprazolam as ~11 hr.

i once took 2mg alprazolam an hour prior to taking ~100ug LSD. The effects were definitely there but noticeably dampened, although progressively less dampened after about 5 hours into the LSD. extrapolating based on half life suggests that interference from diazepam would be maximal until about 4 hours after your planned 8:30 dose. Thats pure conjecture tho esp as alprazolam is the only benzo i've had on lsd.

in short, unless you have ready access to acid you'll probably thank yourself if you wait til friday.

Last edited:
Yes, you will still feel the effects of the Valium 8 hours later. But it shouldn't really affect the trip much, especially at that dose, though you may find 1 hit to be somewhat milder than you are used to. Qualitatively, the experience should be pretty much the same at it would without the Valium, except for maybe a lack of anxiogenesis and runaway thoughts for the anxiety prone (which probably wouldn't happen to you on a low dose of acid anyway).

Normally I would say don't combine LSD with benzo's unless you have a really good reason to want to abort a trainwreck of a trip waiting to happen. Or, take a benzo on the comedown if you still feel electric in your body but the trip is over.
Taking a full dose of a benzo before LSD will pretty much dull the effects and everyone who will only trip after taking such a dose should ask themselves if they should trip at all.

But like I said 5 mg is not much at all and its not enough to really say bad things about, just like some people drink one beer when coming up, thats not too much.

Realize though that by taking the edge off you can also miss out on an especially intense peak in a positive sense. Everything negative you are stopping will probably cost you potentially positive sides as well.

i don't know about this... i was prescribed valium today for some very out-of-nowhere anxiety. took 10mg several hours before even deciding this might be a good night to trip on some legitimate lsd, which i had only done one other time in my life, as i have always been a fan of 25i and rarely came across quality acid. so probably took the valium around--with its long half-life this inclusion is sort of unnecessary, but...--4 in the afternoon along with an insufflated line of 5mg of adderall. continued to do lines of adderall and focalin here and there through to around midnight. decided a little bit of alcohol and another 5mg of valium would be nice to (hopefully) take the edge off. had a couple glasses of white wine. around 2 in the morning i went for the fridge where the lsd was being stored and removed a 1-hit blotter, which i proceeded to administer sublingually and let rest for 20 minutes before swallowing. 2 hours went by and nothing, so i thought it would be a good idea to get a second blotter, as i am clearly anticipating something special here. another hour goes by with another alcoholic drink and nothing. all of a sudden i'm feeling uncomfortable... sort of, but i'm not totally sure. i realize i'm in a different place, but nothing resembling a psychedelic experience. i feel uncomfortably high, almost dysphoric. i'm extremely tired, but also rather restless and quite stimulated. i assume the comedown from the stimulants is playing a roll here. at this point i just lay down on the couch and start wishing this would end ASAP. i'm clearly inebriated, but not in a way at all familiar. it's like i'm getting all the bad side effects of a trip(period) it's now 7 in the morning and i just administered another 5mg valium orally, but i honestly cannot imagine getting sleep anytime soon. very odd experience. granted, i'm mixing a lot of substances here and wasn't really in the healthy mind i should have been going into the trip, but nothing here is really ALL THAT out of the ordinary. i really am confused about what happened and would love some feedback.

very odd experience. granted, i'm mixing a lot of substances here and wasn't really in the healthy mind i should have been going into the trip, but nothing here is really ALL THAT out of the ordinary. i really am confused about what happened and would love some feedback.

Mixing stimulants with psychedelics is probably the worst thing you can do. Didn't you see coming that as soon as you would come down, the trip would be unbearable?
Even when Candyflipping, coming down from the MDMA early enough in the trip can be really depressing. Do not ever take stimulants when on LSD, except for empathogenic stimulants.

You said it yourself. You weren't in a very positive, healthy mindset before taking it. On top of that crashing on two stimulants simultaneously...

Next time be very comfortable on your own and in a happy mindset when taking it. Be aware that you'll be tripping for 12 hours and just try to embrace the whole trip.
Leave out the alcohol and the valium. Just take it and try to deal with what is bugging you on your own. If that does not work at all, then try to resort to the valium. Do not take much, maybe 5mg-10mg to guide the trip in a better direction.