• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

valium and lyrica

Kurt_Cobain

Bluelighter
I used the search function and couldn't find a clear answer, but is it safe to mix the two? and if so, is there any added benefit for recreational use?
And if so, seeing as how Lyrica takes forever to kick in, should that be taken an hour before the valium?
Tyvm

Kudos on using the search engine... in the future please post basic combination/dosing questions in Basic Drug Discussion.

--->BDD

It is safe, If your doses aren't insane.
I have done them both at the same time. For me at least Lyrica kicks in pretty fast, but i'm not really a fan of it, since it makes me into a zombie...
Makes for a relaxing evening none the less.

Sorry for posting it in the wrong place, I always get the two boards confused--I'm still adapting to the forum of what goes where!
Back to my original question, the main reason why I'm asking this--is I have horrible insomnia (will be up for 2-3 days with maybe 3-4 hours of sleep).
For instance last night I took 12 Nyquil tablets out of desperation, and just felt groggy--but not sleepy.
So there goes another all nighter. I've never tried Valium before as a sleep aid, I know xanax knocks me out if I take approx. ~8-9mg of it.

But Valium, what is it's benefits that I can use safely for either insomnia or relaxation. And I'm throwing in the Lyrica to help with the relaxation (and also prevent my restless leg syndrome)
I've even tried prescription strength sleep aids (i,e. Lunesta/Ambien) and nothing. In fact, Ambien does the complete opposite--makes me feel like I'm on speed or something.

Sorry for the lengthy post, and I appreciate anyone who takes the time to read and possibly reply with any helpful information or tips. Thanks again.

Yeah I know it's high, and the weird thing is I've maybe done xanax maybe 6-7 times over the course of a year. I seem to just have a natural high tolerance to medications. When I was an opiate virgin it took 3x 5mg hydrocodone, and I didn't feel much--I took 2 more and then I started feeling good. Mind you that was the first time I took pills.
It sucks having a high tolerance to things I haven't even touched. Has anyone else had a natural high tolerance? It really really REALLY bugs me.

Pregabalin will augment the benzodiazepine. I find 150mgs of pregabalin halves the amount of benzo needed.

It also increases drowsyness and ataxia (aka banging yourself against walls). I would not go above 300mgs with benzos. 900mgs (by mistake) plus 2mgs of clonazepam led to convusions mimicking a seizure.

Start low and work up.

Yeah I know it's high, and the weird thing is I've maybe done xanax maybe 6-7 times over the course of a year. I seem to just have a natural high tolerance to medications. When I was an opiate virgin it took 3x 5mg hydrocodone, and I didn't feel much--I took 2 more and then I started feeling good. Mind you that was the first time I took pills.
It sucks having a high tolerance to things I haven't even touched. Has anyone else had a natural high tolerance? It really really REALLY bugs me.

Yup I too have a naturally high tolerance to drugs. For hydrocodone, I had to pop 20 - 25mg just to feel anything at all at first - and I have never smoked weed, cigarettes, and drink very little alcohol.

For Valium, I need 30 - 40mg in order to get any effect. It takes a while to get me sedated under nitrous at the dentist's office too -- that's just how I'm wired.

Yup I too have a naturally high tolerance to drugs. For hydrocodone, I had to pop 20 - 25mg just to feel anything at all at first - and I have never smoked weed, cigarettes, and drink very little alcohol.

For Valium, I need 30 - 40mg in order to get any effect. It takes a while to get me sedated under nitrous at the dentist's office too -- that's just how I'm wired.

Yay I'm not alone on the tolerance issue, and yeah I have to go to the dentist in an hour--he has to use 4 of the numbing shots to actually get it numb.

Also, off topic now... Does anyone know some good over the counter or prescription for sleep aids? I've tried the popular brands already. I don't want to rely on benzos to help me sleep because I don't want to go anywhere near that addiction/withdrawals.

Yay I'm not alone on the tolerance issue, and yeah I have to go to the dentist in an hour--he has to use 4 of the numbing shots to actually get it numb.

Also, off topic now... Does anyone know some good over the counter or prescription for sleep aids? I've tried the popular brands already. I don't want to rely on benzos to help me sleep because I don't want to go anywhere near that addiction/withdrawals.

If your body chemistry is similar to mine, benzos are BY FAR the most effective sleep aid. I take valium and xanax on occassion for anxiety (about 5-6 times/month), but every time I take them I have to fight like hell to stay awake. Extremely effective sleep aids those benzos are. Since I take them so infrequently, I don't have any cravings or addictions to them - in fact, I hesitate to take them at all because of how sleepy they make me feel.

And I'm like you too - I've tried OTC doxylimine succinate (sp?) and just laid in bed awake for hours. That shit just doesn't do it for me.

If your body chemistry is similar to mine, benzos are BY FAR the most effective sleep aid. I take valium and xanax on occassion for anxiety (about 5-6 times/month), but every time I take them I have to fight like hell to stay awake. Extremely effective sleep aids those benzos are. Since I take them so infrequently, I don't have any cravings or addictions to them - in fact, I hesitate to take them at all because of how sleepy they make me feel.

And I'm like you too - I've tried OTC doxylimine succinate (sp?) and just laid in bed awake for hours. That shit just doesn't do it for me.

I just got back from the dentist and holy crap it was horrible. The anesthesiologist did a horrible job to where it hurt like hell--but the dentist came in, got all upset and saved me by injecting me with so much stuff my head is numb and gave me a bunch of pain pills. I guess it was worth it haha.

But anyways, so my question is; using benzos as a sleep aid, how high is the chance of addiction/withdrawals? And if I do use it, should I take a break between doses like take it every other day or..?

OTC:
Doxylammine Succinate (brand name is Unisom)

Diphenhydramine (brand name is Benadryl)

Melatonin [not a sedative; worth trying; 1-3mg] a natural hormone that affects your bodies circadian rhythm, ie your inner clock. The melatonin, in theory, triggers your body to start preparing for sleep, ie. induce drowsiness, lower heart rate, lower core temp. But in practice it may leave a bit to be desired. Some people it works great, some people get no effect, some people get effin werid dreams!

then there's the 'Herbal OTC' stuff:

Valerian (usually in capsules)is very mildy Gaba-ergic. If you need 6+mg xanax then chances are you'd need to be taking huge dosages of valerian. 2000mg ish. Which is probably not recommended.

Kava Kava, strange one. Not sure its exact mechanism, I guess its also a mild gaba-ergic. I never ahd good effects from it. I think generally its better not in otc capsule form but if you can get the fresh plant/root form a local store or something of that nature.

Skullcap is another one, and Passion Flower, Lemon Balm, Chamomile, Spearmint etc. These can often be found in tea form or in a capsule combination with valerian. You can buy them as bulk herbs and make your own tea bags. I recommend Chamomile, Hibiscus, Lemon Balm and Spearmint.

I personally recommend you give you GABA receptors some breathing room. If you have a naturally high tolerance to benzos, then don't rely on them for sleep every night. You tolerance will simply sky rocket to levels you just don't want.

Give melatonin a serious shot, its cheap so it won't break your bank. But keep in mind, less is more with melatonin. So if you try 2-3 nights with 1-3 mg. And its not working, then don't increase the dosage. You get no more added effect from it by taking 6+mg. They sometimes market "Maximum Strength 10mg tabs" thats BullSHIT. you never need a dose that high. Its active in the 300 microgram range, so generally 1 mg is sufficient, and up to 3mg is standard. Above that is overkill and you are getting no more out of it then you would with lower dosage.

Try alternating with some anti-histamines. Maybe one night take only 2 mg xanax, but also take 20mg doxylammine. Or xanax plus some benadryl. You could also take a few ibuprofen (400mg), this helps me a lot some nights.

As stated earlier, if you are going to use Lyrica, tread lightly at first. Use it to help lower the amount of Benzos you need in a single night. Then maybe the next night try going with some anti-histamines and valerian or something.

IT sounds like you are in my boat, and similar to others who have posted, just a naturally high tolerance to GABA-ergic drugs. Benzos help the best but being addicted to them is not a road you want to go down; do give it some serious thought. I'm doing my best to alternate between benzos, anti-histamines, herbal teas, z-drugs (though they exhibit cross tolerance with benzos), and so far its been keeping my dosages down in reasonable ranges; over the last few months I haven't been needing to increase my dosage. (clonazepam 1-2 mg, Temazepam 30-90 mg).

A non-OTC alternative is talking toa doc about Atypical Anti-psychotics or Anti-depressants. Seroquel is a common one, also Trazadone and Mirtazipine. These are powerful sedatives, I believe all via Anti-histamine mechanisms though each one is different in its other effects (5HT-2/3 etc).

I've personally tried all the above except Seroquel.

hope this helps.

I take 600mg - 800mg of lyrica and between 10-25mg valium through out the day for nerve pain and back pain. I wouldn't recommend to a newbie to ever try those doses. For me it often kills my pain better than any opiate ever did. Which is a miracle so i keep going. I guess i should mention i take 8 mg suboxone daily also. It may play a rollm in the effects but i never noticed it. But there are side effects. They are oddly random though. Almost like the more active i am throughout the day the less problems i have with them. But blurred vision is the most commen and also at times a loss of balance control. Bumping into walls or feeling drunk or so. Being very talkative aswell. But as to your question its safe. Ive taken higher doses than i mentioned up top and it has a recreational use for sure. Not one i think most would like. I do get the nods sometimes when i take it recreationally, that feel just like H nods. Very calming, euphoric nods. With little short vivid dreams. But the dosages need to be started low if your out there looking to have a good time. It can be dangerous if your not used to either of the two meds.. Also definitely do not try driving with this mix.

Mogadon hands down, nice little buzz but if taken at the right time, say early arvo.. By bed time you're smashed and sleep all night thru

But mixing pregabalin with diazepam.. I have a bzd addiction, I take diazepam, clonazepam and serapax mostly, up to 10+ tablets some days.. I can't do it everyday so to get my tolerance down I have one or two valium with a few lyrica. They work, for me, like anti depressants too, I go about a week before I start crying and being real emotional, even with my anxiety meds, it's the lyrica wds
Also I am seeing a psychiatrist addressing all this