UV photo sensitivity increase with topical retinoic-acid use (tretinoin)?

JohnBoy2000

Bluelighter
Many contend that using retinoic-acid (what many consider to be the gold standard of anti-aging skin care) increases photosensitivity...... which it does.

So how do those in hot climates use it year around?

Well apparently following an initial "acclimatization" period, UV sensitivity abates?

"The other side effect associated with retinoid therapy is photosensitization, which normally occurs at the beginning of the therapy. Patients on retinoid therapy are advised to avoid excessive sun exposure and take precautionary measures (like use of sunscreens) for sun protection. However, after few months of therapy, the skin’s response to UV radiation returns to normal."

"According to Dr. Aimee Paik, “Retinoids can increase sun sensitivity during the first six months of use (because of the exfoliating effect). However, after that, your skin’s sensitivity to the sun will revert back to its baseline.”

During the first 6 months of use, avoid overexposing the treated areas to sunlight, wind, or cold weather. The skin will be more prone to sunburn, dryness, or irritation, especially during the first 2 or 3 weeks. However, you should not stop using this medicine unless the skin irritation becomes too severe. Do not use a sunlamp."

If nothing else, sunbeds are now out.

Though I do like beach time in the summer, get a good face tan.

Last edited:
I suppose to assign credit, I pinched all those links off reddit.

Just wanted to document them here for future reference.