• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Using tapentadol (tablets) safely – when is the peak?

luceluna

Bluelighter
I'm planning to ingest some Aspadol-branded tapentadol (100mg tablets) and am trying to be as safe as possible.

I recently split with my long-term partner and he's moved out of our apartment, so I will be alone when using.

I have low opioid tolerance but won't be using any other substances simultaneously. I'm planning to use 300mg, administered once.

My main question is: how long after I ingest the tablets will the tapentadol be at peak concentration in my system? Or, to put it another way, when will I know I've passed the window for an OD? How long after ingestion can I go to bed and be confident that I won't run into problems in my sleep?

I've checked Psychonaut Wiki and it says the peak is 4 – 6 hours after ingestion but that seems way too long. In the past, when I've used opioid tablets, I've felt like I'm back to baseline after 6 hours.

I'm currently feeling pretty fragile due to the end of my relationship, so please be kind. Thanks!

Tapentadol was not recreational for me at all. I had the nucynta and it sucked compared to oxy .

Tapentadol has Little to no recreational value. You can still very much OD on it but you won’t get high using it. It’s an excellent med for pain relief. If you’re taking instant it will affect you within 30 mins. I wouldn’t suggest doing 300mg for your first time. 100mg is enough.

Tapentadol has Little to no recreational value. You can still very much OD on it but you won’t get high using it. It’s an excellent med for pain relief. If you’re taking instant it will affect you within 30 mins. I wouldn’t suggest doing 300mg for your first time. 100mg is enough.

I have used it once before, 200mg with a low opioid tolerance, and I found that it had some recreational value for me (a body high and anxiolytic effects). That's why I was keen to try 300mg.

@PrincessDiz, do you know anything about duration and peak concentration in the blood?

I have used it once before, 200mg with a low opioid tolerance, and I found that it had some recreational value for me (a body high and anxiolytic effects). That's why I was keen to try 300mg.

@PrincessDiz, do you know anything about duration and peak concentration in the blood?
I’d say duration 4-6 hours and peak would be after about an hour and half with instant release at a guess of course everyone’s metabolism is different etc etc etc

Yes, tapentadol does have recreational value to me as well. I only take tramadol (love it btw) and have no tolerance for strong opioids. Are extended or instant release tablets? IR should be more recreational still. It feels similar to tramadol, although more sedating and shorter duration. I would say that it is between 1.5 and 2 times stronger than tramadol. I think 300mg is a bit high dose.
Some people hallucinate or hear voices when taking tapentadol. It has never happened to me and I have taken quite high doses.

Yes, tapentadol does have recreational value to me as well. I only take tramadol (love it btw) and have no tolerance for strong opioids. Are extended or instant release tablets? IR should be more recreational still. It feels similar to tramadol, although more sedating and shorter duration. I would say that it is between 1.5 and 2 times stronger than tramadol. I think 300mg is a bit high dose.
Some people hallucinate or hear voices when taking tapentadol. It has never happened to me and I have taken quite high doses.

They're instant release. Maybe I should dose lower.

I avoid tramadol due to its serotonergic effects.

They're instant release. Maybe I should dose lower.

I avoid tramadol due to its serotonergic effects.

Good. It should be more recreational. Where I live I can only get ER.
How long ago did you take tapentadol? I think you should start with 200mg and if you don't notice effects take between 50-100mg until you reach the desired dose.
Why don't you like tramadol serotonergic effects? Are you taking antidepressants? Note tapentadol also inhibits norepinephrine reuptake.

Good. It should be more recreational. Where I live I can only get ER.
How long ago did you take tapentadol? I think you should start with 200mg and if you don't notice effects take between 50-100mg until you reach the desired dose.
Why don't you like tramadol serotonergic effects? Are you taking antidepressants? Note tapentadol also inhibits norepinephrine reuptake.

I took 200mg about two weeks ago and definitely felt it.

Yeah, I'm taking antidepressants (tri-cyclics) which have an effect on serotonin levels. So I don't want to mess around with tramadol.

I took 200mg about two weeks ago and definitely felt it.

Yeah, I'm taking antidepressants (tri-cyclics) which have an effect on serotonin levels. So I don't want to mess around with tramadol.

Just be careful as tapentadol also inhibits serotonin reuptake but not as much as tramadol.
For this reason, I don't recommend very high doses, due to the risk of serotonin syndrome. But I am not an expert so I would like to hear more thoughts about this interaction.
What antidepressant do you take?

Just be careful as tapentadol also inhibits serotonin reuptake but not as much as tramadol.
For this reason, I don't recommend very high doses, due to the risk of serotonin syndrome. But I am not an expert so I would like to hear more thoughts about this interaction.
What antidepressant do you take?

Thanks. I thought the serotonergic effects of tapentadol were minimal, but I could be wrong (I don't think there's been much research on the drug).

Currently, I take 150mg Anafranil (clomipramine) and 2.5mg of Abilify (aripiprazole). I know tricyclic antidepressants increase levels of norepinephrine and serotonin, two neurotransmitters, and block the action of acetylcholine, another neurotransmitter. But I'm not sure whether tapentadol would fuck with those levels to a significant degree.

Thanks. I thought the serotonergic effects of tapentadol were minimal, but I could be wrong (I don't think there's been much research on the drug).

Currently, I take 150mg Anafranil (clomipramine) and 2.5mg of Abilify (aripiprazole). I know tricyclic antidepressants increase levels of norepinephrine and serotonin, two neurotransmitters, and block the action of acetylcholine, another neurotransmitter. But I'm not sure whether tapentadol would fuck with those levels to a significant degree.

I didn't find much information about interaction between tapentadol and those drugs. Apparently, they will increase the depression of the nervous system (https://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB06204). In several websites warn of the use of tapentadol and antidepressants of any kind due to the risk of serotonin syndrome and seizures. I also think that when taking antidepressants, tapentadol will not work as well.
I believe that if you take moderate doses there should not be many problems. But it would not be unusual for tapentadol to have little effect due to antippressants.
Were you also taking antidepressants when you took tapentadol the last time?

I didn't find much information about interaction between tapentadol and those drugs. Apparently, they will increase the depression of the nervous system (https://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB06204). In several websites warn of the use of tapentadol and antidepressants of any kind due to the risk of serotonin syndrome and seizures. I also think that when taking antidepressants, tapentadol will not work as well.
I believe that if you take moderate doses there should not be many problems. But it would not be unusual for tapentadol to have little effect due to antippressants.
Were you also taking antidepressants when you took tapentadol the last time?

Hey, thanks for doing that research for me!

In terms of CNS depression, I don't think that would be a problem for me because I take the tri-cyclic just before bedtime and would be taking the tapentadol at least four hours earlier.

Yes, I was taking antidepressants when I took tapentadol the last time.

My understanding is that the primary effect of the tapentadol (on the opioid receptors) would not be affected by my meds.

However, if someone with advanced knowledge could jump on this thread and answer all these questions for both of us that'd be great!