• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Using Syringe Filter - Why Won't Solution Go Through?

LonelyMiner

Greenlighter
So I'm using micron wheel filters for the first time, just got them yesterday and I'll post their specifications below. So When I make my pill solution(adderall XR crushed up. fyi it does work, I've used it in this form before, so i know the xr mechanism is broken physically) and also buprenorphine.

The resulting solution is a gross orange sludge, which is exactly why i decided to get these filters before IV use of these drugs. When i draw the solution up into my fresh sterile syringe, and attempt to push it through the filter by slowly pushing the plunger, the plunger doesnt budge and the solution refuses to move through the filter, so its obviously getting clogged/blocked.

Can this problem be solved by simply getting a different size filter? I could try diluting it further, but i tried and it still didnt budge and adding a large amont of water to dilute it and make it passable would result into much too large a solution for IV use anyway.

So do I just need a larger size filter? Or how can I solve this problem? I'm kinda tight on money atm so any solutions that dont involve purchasing new larger filters would be nice, and for the future I will order the larger correct size(if thats even the problem here).

Filter specifications: Nylon Syringe Filter 13mm/0.2u HPLC

13mm is kind of small isnt it now that im looking at it. But would a larger size really just fix the problem? Do I need to go up on simply the filter diameter or the micron size as well?

Thanks for any help guys, always appreciated.

Kind of confusing as the ebay listing title says 13mm, 0.2um but heres the description

If i HEAVILY dilute the solution say to 4-5ml most of it will pass through, but at that point its useless...

"Nylon Syringe filters with Luer Lock 13mm / 0.2um 100/pk
? PTFE syringe filters stand up to the most aggressive solvent, acid and base samples.
? Luer Lock enables secure connections and eliminates filter movement under pressure.
Specifications:
? Polypropylene housing
? 25mm in diameter
? 0.45um pore size"

Last edited:
Ideally you need one with a pre-filter (eg some of the Whatman brand), as the fillers and binders from the pills are likely clogging the filter.

One way to create your own 'pre-filter' would be to remove the plunger and insert some fresh cottonwool into your syringe, then attach the syringe filter as normal.

Then insert the fluid into the syringe from the back with another fresh syringe, before replacing the plunger and pressing through as normal.

The cottonwool should act as a pre-filter and reduce the tendency to clog the PTFE.

You can also raise the temperature of your solution a little (to tepid/body temperature), to increase filtration rate.

These are triple layered with two built in prefilters and a .22um final and much cheaper than whatman;s. Make sure to get at least the 25 mm body. A homemade prefilter makes them last even longer.

s-l225.jpg

These are triple layered with two built in prefilters and a .22um final and much cheaper than whatman;s. Make sure to get at least the 25 mm body. A homemade prefilter makes them last even longer.

s-l225.jpg

What make is that micron filter?

OMICRON-25mm- .22um- triple Layer ADPV25RB
Triple Layered Syringe Filter - PVDF Membrane with two layers of Glass Fiber Filter. You could also use nylon and it would work but I deal with acids sometimes. ]

Even with the triple layer a homemade prefilter will add longevity. A thick solution will clog even triple layer micron filters. A 10ml syringe with some filter paper in the bottom them cotton rammed works great.

s-l225.jpg

Omicron Scientific, Inc.
10945 State Bridge Rd, Ste 401
Alpharetta, GA 30022
Off (800) 772-9822
(ebay)
[email protected]

25 mm

Micron Rating GF 1-prefilter1
1.0 ?m

Micron Rating GF 2prefilter2
0.7 ?m

Micron Rating - final membrane =Polyvinylidene fluoride (PVDF) is a highly non-reactive thermoplastic fluoropolymer produced by the polymerization of vinylidene difluoride- it resists anything.
.22um

logo.png

s-l225.jpg

Jekyl, you can use the filters more than once?? I was under the impression that you can only use them once.

You need to prefilter through half a cig filter first...then use your wheel.

Stand up a cig filter vertically in solution of pill and suck up solution....may need to do this more than once...then finally use the wheel.

Adderall are some of the nastiest pills to inject ...but I have done it a few times as described... definitely not something to do regularly

You can use more than once but rinse with water and don't keep around for too long, like a week/ 10 days. They burst easier after staying wet for long periods.

s-l225.jpg

The PVDF is a little tougher than nylon for burst strength.

You can use more than once but rinse with water and don't keep around for too long, like a week/ 10 days. They burst easier after staying wet for long periods.

s-l225.jpg

The PVDF is a little tougher than nylon for burst strength.

Awesome, thats good to hear! I bought some on amazon, do you think these filters would be okay? Or should i go with the omicron or whatman's?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XVZRX8K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(ill delete the link, not sure if i can have it or not. Just let me know)

Harm Reduction materials can be linked if it's not like alibaba or something like that. I prefer E-Bay for filters

The filters you got will work but will clog fast and burst easy. It's essential you make a high performance pre filter. I use quantitative 5 micron lab circles and then cut out penny size pieces with cotton TIGHTLY rammed in and then water run through it so it won't soak up "good" liquid.

Omicron supreme ADPV25RB are $2 each but lassst. Whatmans are $6.99 a piece and don't do much better than Omicrons.

Harm Reduction materials can be linked if it's not like alibaba or something like that. I prefer E-Bay for filters

The filters you got will work but will clog fast and burst easy. It's essential you make a high performance pre filter. I use quantitative 5 micron lab circles and then cut out penny size pieces with cotton TIGHTLY rammed in and then water run through it so it won't soak up "good" liquid.

Omicron supreme ADPV25RB are $2 each but lassst. Whatmans are $6.99 a piece and don't do much better than Omicrons.

Nice! Ill check out those Omicrons. $20 for 10 isnt bad at all. Ill just keep the ones I have for the "pre filters", like you suggested.

Appreciate the help Jekyl!

Sure thing Chris, Good Luck!

You should still try a homemade prefilter because the inexpensive filters have no built in prefilters. Just use a little wad of coffee filter and jam cotton on top, it'll work good. You can use the non omicrons for emergencies too, like if you run out of omicrons.

Sorry guys didnt see your replies until just now.

So if I use the cig filters a few times should remove some junk, then some tightly packed cotton down into the bottom of the syringe, fun fresh water through it first so it doesnt soak up the "good" liquid, and then finally attach the syringe and push the plunger through?

I'm kinda tight on funds, so gotta work with what I've got.

That sounds about right. It kinda helps to have a 3-5-10ml syringe to make the pre-filter out of or you can pick up an oral syringe at just about any drug store/ Pharm. Def wash a full slug of clean water through and pack down even tighter when wet. Piece of coffee filter with at least 1/8 of the syringe packed tight with cotton on top.
Block the tip when you pull the plunger out to keep everything tight and under vacuum. It won't be easy and the plunger seal might even pop off but it's easy to fish out and maintain tight pre-filter integrity.

Filter the goods, then add a tiny bit of fresh water to rinse any remaining through. Not as necessary with micron as they only hold up a 1/10 at the very most. usually less. When the syringe Filter has finished filtering it should get "tight" when air hits the membrane.Never try to force air through when you start to get a little foam and it gets tough to filter. If air just blows right through or it filters with no backpressure then the membrane has blown.

I know, HR is not always easy but 20 years from now you'll be glad you went through the trouble. Nobody wants a Pulmonary Embolism. :)

Pre filtering worked great! I used 1.25ml this time and filtered 2-3 times through a cig filter, then jammed a bunch of cotton down the end of one plunger, snd ended up with around .6ml of clear liquid that went through no problem which is still too much, so ill try starting with a little less starting liquid next time.

Well done LM! After a few runs it gets to be second nature and will really help in the long run when you leave all this behind someday.
14.gif