• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Using NMDA antagonists for tolerance reduction and depression-my story

photoshopfakes5

Greenlighter
5 years ago i read first study about effects of nmda antagonists. What was really astonishing is their action on tolerance prevention and depression. Soon after i ordered strong nmda antagonist memantine and adventure began....

I started with 10 mgs per day and then increased it to 15 mgs. Back then i was using a lot of alcohol and coffee. What i first noticed with memantine is that im more interested in thing, have enormous energy, feeling confident, but experiencing some paranoia and anxiety too. Only after one week my tolerance to caffeine and alcohol was so much reduced that i needed only 30% of my usual dose to achive same effect. I was thrilled. I used to drink 5-7 coffees per night. It was so stimulanting and mood lifting, almost comparable with strong stimulants. After a few weeks tolerance reducing effects started fading away so i stopped using memantine.

Few months later i tried same routine and the effects were the same. After a long pause i was so pissed because my studies were going really bad, and i sweared that i will use huge memantine doses to achive nootropic effect, no matter panick attacks and paranoia. Then miracle happed. I was on 40 mgs per day, i had severe brain fog, anxiety and huge amount of energy. But what really changed me is the fact that i started appreciating myself and my life. For the first time i was feeling strong and proud of myself. That effect lasted several months. During that period my tolerance to caffeine so low that, 1/4 of a cup would drive me crazy. Literally 1 coup of coffee would give me 7-8 hours of insane focus and energy. I was amazed. Few months later i stopped using memantine. My withdrawal symptoms were bad akathisia, depression, heavy body load, anhedonia....

After this i used memantine on several occasions, in doses 30-40mg. It produced some positives effecs but not as near as first time i used it. This trend of periodical use continued in the next few years.

Then after a few years i started using hard drugs like opiates and stimulants. I want to share my experience with memantine combo. At first opiates ( mainly buprenorphine ) and stimulants ( manly methylphenidate and dextroamhetamine ) were life savers! You all know how it feeld to feel them kicking for the first time. I was like " my life is finally getting better ". As expected tolerance ( even without abusing ) developed over time, killing many positive effects of these drugs. Withdrawals were horrible. I remember when i first withdrawn from buprenorfine i was feeling so bad that i couldnt walk or talk! Pain and anxiety were unbeareble. Same goes with stimulants, terrible anhedonia, akathisia, demotivation and panick attacks... Considering that these drugs were life savery to me i continued their use but less frequent and on lower doses ( i really couldnt stand withdrawal ).

Then came memantine into mix. Its important to say that my use during previous years develepoed huge tolerance to memantine and upregulation of glutamate receptors. I was experimenting with it many times. Druing first period memantine really lowered tolerance to stimulants and opioids, leaveing many possitive effects staying strong even with prolonged use. But this was only temporarily. My tolerance to memantine was going insane high. So tolerance reduction effect was gone. I would still developt tolerance to drugs very fast ( even faster with memantine ). Therefore i stopped using memantin for a few months, hoping that my tolerance to its effects will be lower.

After some period i prepered this tolerance reducing combo. Memantine as nmda antagonist, amantadine as glutamate antagonist, acamprosate as glutamate antagonist too, magnesium as calcium antagonist of course, and zinc. These combo provided really strong nmda antagonism, and other glutamate reducing effects and huge upregulation of acetylcholine receptors. I have tried using this combo more then 7-8 times. This is what happened everytime during my break from stims and opiates while using this combo:

First of all memantine does seem to relieve some withdrawal symtoms from these drugs but it causes bad paranoia in me so its not very pleasent. After 2-3 weeks being on this nmda antagnosim combo i start using stims and opiates again. Unfortunately I dont feel big reduction in tolerance like i used to feel during first months on memantine. Only slight reduction. But there are other positives. Memantine is great mood stabilizer, so highs and lows of stimulants are somewhat blunted. Also come down is much more easier on you, since you dont really feel usual bad depression or anhedonia, just slight upset feeling of anxiety. Compulsion and stimulation is reduced too, but i only want to use stims therapeutically so it doesnt bother me. Cognition and focus are great. Wellbeing too. As for opioids they do feel much stronger after memantine tretmant. It does lower tolerance to them, but only short term. After few days-weeks tolerance will be high again.

So to to conclude nmda antagonists like memantine, amantadine, acamprosate, magnesium and zinc can really reduce someone tolerance to drugs effect. But once you build tolerance to nmda antagonism ( which last forever in my experience, no matter how long break i take i will still have insane tolerance to memantine ) tolerance reducting effects will fade away. This is really sad, cause for the first time in my life i thought i could use these amazing drugs forever. But sad thing is that you will build tolerance to tolerance reducting effect quickly. So nmda antagonists are only short term applicable.

Im glad i shared this experience, because memantine is drug that changed my life and made me a better person and worker. Im thankfull for that. Bad thing is that i exploited all good effects and developed tolerance, so its non useful anymore.... Importang thing to say is that longterm memantine use upregulated nmda heavely, so i will contast tiredness, pain in muscles, im having hard time waking up and my cognition is much worse now. So yes it be cause bad excitotoxicity after long use. Be careful!

I want to read about your experiences and i would really like to here if someone have solution to reduction of tolerance to nmda antagonists, so i can use them again for tolerance prevention. That would be like dream come true!

Cheers everyone!