• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Using gabapentin for depression

IAmJacksUserName

Bluelighter
I've recently gone back on Prozac, which I have been going on and off of for a number of years (I always get to the point where I think I get to the point where I don't need it, then I slip back into moodiness). It has worked somewhat, but then I started taking gabapentin, 200 mg twice a day this week, and it has worked wonders. Getting through my workday, which is pretty much my entire life (I'm a foreign correspondent), has gotten easier and my work performance has improved. I'm not feeling high from it, I'm just feeling like "me", the way I want to be.

But I've read that gabapentin has addiction potential similar to benzo withdrawal. Am I playing with fire here? I'm willing to tolerate some low points when I discontinue it, but I don't want to get seizures or anything. Bear in mind, I work in a country where the pharmacists sell it over the counter, so I haven't consulted a doctor and have an infinite supply as long as the pharmacists keep it in stock for me.

400mg of gabapentin a day is a very low dose. I can relate to what you're feeling though. I'm currently prescribed 800mg 4x a day and find it to be a godsend for depression. It's all about the dose you use and how effective you can be at seamlessly titrating down. For example, there are days I take 5-7g of neurontin easy. Clearly I'm going to be out of my meds a few days early.

I weaned back down all the way to 400mg and while I'm not severely depressed, I personally know that for the few days I'll be out I'll have to drink a few beers and do whatever I can to substitute or I'll most likely face an onslaught of major depression and anxiety.

I don't consider this personally "playing with fire" considering my depression is so much more predictable this way. I certainly won't deny the negative cognitive effects dosing this high on gaba for the past few years has had on me, however. I figure most if not all mood stabilizers I've ever been on have the same if not more debilitating side effects.

While neurontin isn't exactly a mood stabilizer per se, with higher doses it certainly can keep you doped up enough to stabilize your mood, if that makes any sense. Tolerance does build quickly so I switch between moderately low and ridiculously high dosages.

You will probably hear a lot about "Neurontin withdrawal."

Take this from someone who's detoxed from high doses of prescribed lorazepam.. Coming off of high levels of neurontin is extremely unpleasant and should be avoided at all costs, but isn't comparable to the sheer agony and terror of coming off of a benzodiazepine dependency. A significant amount of gabapentin users report no withdrawal issues at all. All I feel when I go without is depression and anxiety. Maybe a little harder to sleep.

Hope this helps you out somewhat. If you have any specific questions about any part of the side-effect profile, potentiating doses, etc I can help there as well.

400mg of gabapentin a day is a very low dose. I can relate to what you're feeling though. I'm currently prescribed 800mg 4x a day and find it to be a godsend for depression. It's all about the dose you use and how effective you can be at seamlessly titrating down. For example, there are days I take 5-7g of neurontin easy. Clearly I'm going to be out of my meds a few days early.

I weaned back down all the way to 400mg and while I'm not severely depressed, I personally know that for the few days I'll be out I'll have to drink a few beers and do whatever I can to substitute or I'll most likely face an onslaught of major depression and anxiety.

I don't consider this personally "playing with fire" considering my depression is so much more predictable this way. I certainly won't deny the negative cognitive effects dosing this high on gaba for the past few years has had on me, however. I figure most if not all mood stabilizers I've ever been on have the same if not more debilitating side effects.

While neurontin isn't exactly a mood stabilizer per se, with higher doses it certainly can keep you doped up enough to stabilize your mood, if that makes any sense. Tolerance does build quickly so I switch between moderately low and ridiculously high dosages.

You will probably hear a lot about "Neurontin withdrawal."

Take this from someone who's detoxed from high doses of prescribed lorazepam.. Coming off of high levels of neurontin is extremely unpleasant and should be avoided at all costs, but isn't comparable to the sheer agony and terror of coming off of a benzodiazepine dependency. A significant amount of gabapentin users report no withdrawal issues at all. All I feel when I go without is depression and anxiety. Maybe a little harder to sleep.

Hope this helps you out somewhat. If you have any specific questions about any part of the side-effect profile, potentiating doses, etc I can help there as well.

Well I heard from heroin addict that effexor gives as bad wds like heroin, but the difference between effexor and gabapentin is that effxor might help only 5% population but neurotin more likely on 80%. For me effoxor made everything worse, but I was on neurotin for 1 month and it made my mood much better and annehdonia nad anxiety were gone, I stopped because I left the country where I could buy it OTC, in here doctors wont give it to you for depression or anxiety.

For me all ssris and snris make depression only worse they make annhedonia even worse (the main depression symptoms) and also they give very bad wds some as bad as benzos or opioids, so I cant use any of these. I'm planning to go to over neurotin, wds are not a problem if it helps with my depression and anxiety. You can always tapper very slowly if you feel youre depression and anxiety have gone away.

Well I heard from heroin addict that effexor gives as bad wds like heroin, but the difference between effexor and gabapentin is that effxor might help only 5% population but neurotin more likely on 80%. For me effoxor made everything worse, but I was on neurotin for 1 month and it made my mood much better and annehdonia nad anxiety were gone, I stopped because I left the country where I could buy it OTC, in here doctors wont give it to you for depression or anxiety.

For me all ssris and snris make depression only worse they make annhedonia even worse (the main depression symptoms) and also they give very bad wds some as bad as benzos or opioids, so I cant use any of these. I'm planning to go to over neurotin, wds are not a problem if it helps with my depression and anxiety. You can always tapper very slowly if you feel youre depression and anxiety have gone away.

Definitely feel that you're making the right decision :) just never forget the pain and misery cold turkey quitting a large gabapentin habit can have. I'm easily talking about the most unpleasant withdrawal in my life. Keep in mind I'm a heroin addict and id rather have my gabapentin and no heroin than heroin and no gaba. Talk about suicide city.

Definitely feel that you're making the right decision :) just never forget the pain and misery cold turkey quitting a large gabapentin habit can have. I'm easily talking about the most unpleasant withdrawal in my life. Keep in mind I'm a heroin addict and id rather have my gabapentin and no heroin than heroin and no gaba. Talk about suicide city.

Well I think with gabapentin tapering very slowly should be pretty successful and almost pain free? I mean why should anybody go to could turkey if doctor has gave you gabapentin for depression? They don't make you go cold turkey on ssris either. With illegal opioids cold turkey is sadly pretty often only solution. But yeah it seems with most good meds there often have bad wds.

I take 4,800mg of neurontin a day. It is literally a miracle drug insofar as my own situation with bipolar/anxiety/epilepsy is concerned. It helps me more than lithium...

But if you lose it or forget a dose...you crash so fast. I actually left mine at my mother's house once and the 5 days I was gone were hell.

I was on 600 mg three times a day for years. Then almost a year ago I moved an hr away and no longer see that doctor. At that dose the withdrawals weren't nearly as bad as the ones I had when I kicked .5 mg clonzepam 3 x a day. Not as difficult as even a very light benzo habit can be.

It does wonders at mood stabilization for me. I'm actually not going to even attempt to get back on the kpins when I find a doc here, just the gaba. Less negative side effects and just as helpful IMO.

"It's a good thing."

I was on 600 mg three times a day for years. Then almost a year ago I moved an hr away and no longer see that doctor. At that dose the withdrawals weren't nearly as bad as the ones I had when I kicked .5 mg clonzepam 3 x a day. Not as difficult as even a very light benzo habit can be.

It does wonders at mood stabilization for me. I'm actually not going to even attempt to get back on the kpins when I find a doc here, just the gaba. Less negative side effects and just as helpful IMO.

"It's a good thing."
Thats nice that you have good doctors over there, here they never would give gabapentin for mood stabilization nor anxiety, its only for nervous pain. They rather give you benzos for anxiety than gabapentin or pregabalin. I asked a doctor who refilled my monthly xanax and temazepam that maybe I could which to lyrica from benzos and he went to crazy rambling that it very bad drug and you would take it to get wasted.