• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Using amanita to get off benzos?

NeoLid

Bluelighter
I was recently in a ibogaine clinic for coke, Im also dependent on benzos. While I was there another patient was telling me she heard of people using amanita muscaria to get of benzos really quickly, like in a week. Kinda like how ibogaine gets you off opioids after 1 trip. She said you're supposed to start taking low doses of the mushrooms, and increasing the dose, while decreasing your benzo dose. With this method by the end of the week in theory you would be completely off benzos by the end of the week and you can then just stop taking the amanita.

She didn't know much more, like the exact protocol or where I could find more info. Has anyone heard if this before? If so any information would be greatly helpful.

Don't have any experience myself but @cdin might be able to provide some insight.

But having gone through horrific benzo withdrawal (twice, punctuated by about 6 years), I can't imagine a week of anything could resolve a serious benzo dependency.

I have been reading a lot of posts this last year and cdin is the man with the knowledge on this. Also I think it is important to distinguish between a system out of balance and a damaged system. I really do think opiate addiction balances because it is an imbalance, not a damaged system. A person that quits seems ok after a month or so (not considering PAWS which was a term that was not around when I was young) Then with things like benzo's (and probably gabapentinoids) if a person takes a lot for a long time may be damage as has been talked about as a possibility. Cdin has talked a lot about a damaged system and I think it should be discussed more.

I am prescribed gabapentin but do not take it but once a week, and lately almost not at all. But when I did research (yeah I had to venture to Reddit which I never do) there were actually people on 6000-10,000 mgs of gabapentin a day for over 10 years that complain of a horrendous withdrawal. Maybe that is a damaged system instead of out of balance. As lighter users that even used daily may not have any withdrawal. I have spoke to two other non Bluelight people that are on gabapentin and when I asked about withdrawal they looked at me like I was crazy. They forgot to take in on vacation or something and did not notice anything. But we know on BL that there are people that withdraw.

Then as we know benzos cause issues for a long time and not in a linear fashion. So saying all that I do find it hard to believe that a substance can bypass benzo withdrwawal or shorten it. Maybe 1000 years from now as humans get smarter, but not now. I mean I listen to the ibogaine stories and I still have a hard time that a substancce can bypass withdrawals. Although maybe Ibogaine is a start to balancing a system out quicker who knows. It does not seem benzos withdrawal is just a balancing issue like opiates. So maybe there is not an "ibogaine" of the benzo word.

I will say that I have learned a lot about amanita from both cdin and ChrisTimothy. Lots of good info here. I have an interest but not as a withdrawal aid. Just a regular interest. But maybe there is a substance that can fix a system so quick. I bet in years to come we will find out a lot more.

So, I am in contact with people experimenting atm, and we are really trying to figure out what the proper protocol is. Personally I was way too freaked out for the amanita dreamer macro dose to infinity and just quit benzos route -- and fwiw my friend coming off diazepam atm went too fast and it ended up messing up his titration a bit... imo you probably COULD just sub amanita for benzos and do it that way, but the amount of muscimol that would take is intense and it's expensive to find good medicalized muscimol sources, so I haven't had the option/seen this done first hand.
When i was coming off benzos, I would use amanita/kava in lower doses on the days that I dropped the dosage, and maybe the next day after - it would make the drops tolerable and generally smooth things out. From what I have been learning about the pharmacology --- allosteric modulators like benzos fuck with the shape and polarity of the gaba receptor site -- so the "damage" isn't so much like excitotoxic damage, it's more like diabetes but w GABA instead of sugar. changing the electrical potentials at the site messes up the ability of natural gaba to bind there. -- so you still have natural GABA in the brain, you just can't connect it to your GABA sites, hence the problems and inability to control glutamate symptoms.

from what I understand muscimol is quite close to natural gaba shape and helps to rework the receptors back to where they can take natural gaba.
The guy i know who works on this as his industry knows more about all of it, i will request that he send me some literature so i can back this up with citation instead of just speculation.
My own experience post benzos is that the more I let muscimol into my brain, the better off I get with daily anxiety, movement problems -- im back to sleeping 5/6 hours of deep sleep a night, just obvious repair of my GABA systems, which is fantastic. I've run it for 40 days and stopped for 5, no wd manifested, sleep still remained better. I'm about to clear off it again to verify these changes stick around.
I think the reality is we are in new/uncharted territory here. I personally wouldn't jump into a CT benzo wd and just balls deep to muscimol as I am too fearful of the bzd wd syndrome --- but a few anecdotal cases have emerged of people doing exactly that so -- ymmv - we are all learning, but undoubtably there is POTENT healing potential in amanita muscaria for the mamallian GABA system.
after working with it, i consider it an S-tier entheogen on par with ibogaine, LSD, psilocin etc.

I was recently in a ibogaine clinic for coke, Im also dependent on benzos. While I was there another patient was telling me she heard of people using amanita muscaria to get of benzos really quickly, like in a week. Kinda like how ibogaine gets you off opioids after 1 trip. She said you're supposed to start taking low doses of the mushrooms, and increasing the dose, while decreasing your benzo dose. With this method by the end of the week in theory you would be completely off benzos by the end of the week and you can then just stop taking the amanita.

She didn't know much more, like the exact protocol or where I could find more info. Has anyone heard if this before? If so any information would be greatly helpful.

I have been reading a lot of posts this last year and cdin is the man with the knowledge on this. Also I think it is important to distinguish between a system out of balance and a damaged system. I really do think opiate addiction balances because it is an imbalance, not a damaged system. A person that quits seems ok after a month or so (not considering PAWS which was a term that was not around when I was young) Then with things like benzo's (and probably gabapentinoids) if a person takes a lot for a long time may be damage as has been talked about as a possibility. Cdin has talked a lot about a damaged system and I think it should be discussed more.

I am prescribed gabapentin but do not take it but once a week, and lately almost not at all. But when I did research (yeah I had to venture to Reddit which I never do) there were actually people on 6000-10,000 mgs of gabapentin a day for over 10 years that complain of a horrendous withdrawal. Maybe that is a damaged system instead of out of balance. As lighter users that even used daily may not have any withdrawal. I have spoke to two other non Bluelight people that are on gabapentin and when I asked about withdrawal they looked at me like I was crazy. They forgot to take in on vacation or something and did not notice anything. But we know on BL that there are people that withdraw.

Then as we know benzos cause issues for a long time and not in a linear fashion. So saying all that I do find it hard to believe that a substance can bypass benzo withdrwawal or shorten it. Maybe 1000 years from now as humans get smarter, but not now. I mean I listen to the ibogaine stories and I still have a hard time that a substancce can bypass withdrawals. Although maybe Ibogaine is a start to balancing a system out quicker who knows. It does not seem benzos withdrawal is just a balancing issue like opiates. So maybe there is not an "ibogaine" of the benzo word.

I will say that I have learned a lot about amanita from both cdin and ChrisTimothy. Lots of good info here. I have an interest but not as a withdrawal aid. Just a regular interest. But maybe there is a substance that can fix a system so quick. I bet in years to come we will find out a lot more.

This is my first time here so hopefully my response fits in but I've had some tough times with benzo withdrawal in the past and two easy to find substances helped me. L- theanine 400 mgs. along with ashwaghanda ksm 66.
Thank you I'll give it a try.

So, I am in contact with people experimenting atm, and we are really trying to figure out what the proper protocol is. Personally I was way too freaked out for the amanita dreamer macro dose to infinity and just quit benzos route -- and fwiw my friend coming off diazepam atm went too fast and it ended up messing up his titration a bit... imo you probably COULD just sub amanita for benzos and do it that way, but the amount of muscimol that would take is intense and it's expensive to find good medicalized muscimol sources, so I haven't had the option/seen this done first hand.
When i was coming off benzos, I would use amanita/kava in lower doses on the days that I dropped the dosage, and maybe the next day after - it would make the drops tolerable and generally smooth things out. From what I have been learning about the pharmacology --- allosteric modulators like benzos fuck with the shape and polarity of the gaba receptor site -- so the "damage" isn't so much like excitotoxic damage, it's more like diabetes but w GABA instead of sugar. changing the electrical potentials at the site messes up the ability of natural gaba to bind there. -- so you still have natural GABA in the brain, you just can't connect it to your GABA sites, hence the problems and inability to control glutamate symptoms.

from what I understand muscimol is quite close to natural gaba shape and helps to rework the receptors back to where they can take natural gaba.
The guy i know who works on this as his industry knows more about all of it, i will request that he send me some literature so i can back this up with citation instead of just speculation.
My own experience post benzos is that the more I let muscimol into my brain, the better off I get with daily anxiety, movement problems -- im back to sleeping 5/6 hours of deep sleep a night, just obvious repair of my GABA systems, which is fantastic. I've run it for 40 days and stopped for 5, no wd manifested, sleep still remained better. I'm about to clear off it again to verify these changes stick around.
I think the reality is we are in new/uncharted territory here. I personally wouldn't jump into a CT benzo wd and just balls deep to muscimol as I am too fearful of the bzd wd syndrome --- but a few anecdotal cases have emerged of people doing exactly that so -- ymmv - we are all learning, but undoubtably there is POTENT healing potential in amanita muscaria for the mamallian GABA system.
after working with it, i consider it an S-tier entheogen on par with ibogaine, LSD, psilocin etc.
How did you go with this in the long run? I’m tapering clonazepam and was just gifted a bunch of Amanita. I’m looking into using it to help me taper off the benzo

As a former Pregabalin user and current Benzo user. I´d wish they would be equal in WD, because after quitting Pregabalin I had none.

Benzo's, this is the first time I took them for a long period. Are I think less forgiving and dangerous. No cold turkey stuff like I did with Pregabalin.

I doubt a natural option will cover as good as slow taper. Amanita and Mulungu do seem useful. But doesn't Amanita have a whole complicated preperation proces. Or is it avaiable in blisterpack?

Last edited:
Don't have any experience myself but @cdin might be able to provide some insight.

But having gone through horrific benzo withdrawal (twice, punctuated by about 6 years), I can't imagine a week of anything could resolve a serious benzo dependency.

This. You might be able to use amanita to get off benzos, that doesn't mean you'll be over withdrawal.

How bout Lemon Balm extract and/ or Magnolia Bark extract. Both work on GABA-a.

Although 320 mg Lemon Balm extract didn't have an obvious effect, it might have done something.

This. You might be able to use amanita to get off benzos, that doesn't mean you'll be over withdrawal.
You and negrogesic talk of still being affected years later and that is important for some people to know. I am always suspicious of people that say they stopped a xanax addiction and felt better in a week. I mean with other drugs that can be but not benzos. This area needs more attention from scholars and scientists as there may be a way to help the brain heal fully.

As far as amanitas, I think it could pan out to be a healing substance. We already heard some experienced people talk of feeling better with amanita. I think my only issue right now is there are people putting psychedelics in the gummies. That is not what you want when looking for amanita. The psychedelics come later, when feeling better and longing for Vision. So to think someone in benzo withdrawal is getting amanita but gets a psychedelic is beyond scary. That issue has to resolve. These companies doing that should be put out of business. Buyer beware.