• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Using Adderall and heart disease

DontFrownAClown

Greenlighter
My brother in law is prescribed 30mg Adderall. His dose is supposed to be one pill twice a day. He took correct dose for 3 years. 6 months ago he started abusing it. Taking one pill every 3 hours for 5 days straight. He would take 1 day to sleep. He said he never took more than 8 in 24 hours though I just watched him take 4 in 10 hours. Then he will not take any or very minimal over the next 4 weeks, until his next "fill".
His primary Dr and cardiologist both gave him an okay for the meds. He himself doesn't have any heart disease but both his mother and father sides of family has had cardiovascular problems. Including his grandfather dying at 32 from massive heart attack. His grandfather too was healthy w/ no signs of heart disease.... he just....died.
I expressed my concerns once but he is convinced he is safe and not going to kill himself. Before I address the issue again, I'd like to know if he truly is in high risk of OD or heart failure .
I've read up on this a lot but it's all generic info , nothing specific to his situation. I've read it takes A LOT to OD. For his circumstance, is he doing ALOT? Are there signs of damage being done before the potential of death?
Fill me in please !

It takes a lot too fatally OD, it doesn't take much to become psychotic, or to develop the positive symptoms of schizophrenia. Hell, it's part of the action of the drug. No one should take any amphetamine for longer than a couple of weeks, regardless what a well-educated man in a white outfit tells you.

Yeah, family genetics definately have something to do with his health. At the very least, he should take as prescribed or none at all. Yes, he can drop dead. You need to have a chat with him.

It takes a lot too fatally OD, it doesn't take much to become psychotic, or to develop the positive symptoms of schizophrenia. Hell, it's part of the action of the drug. No one should take any amphetamine for longer than a couple of weeks, regardless what a well-educated man in a white outfit tells you.

What are the signs if he has developed something?
Is there any coming back?
Does this happen during the binge or afterwards?

Have him talk to his cardiologist and primary doctor, and get a second opinion from another doctor and cardiologist. He should not abuse or take more of his medication at all.

What are the signs if he has developed something? If it is drug related, it should be a temporary bout of psychosis, a mental breakdown.
Is there any coming back? Of course, Issac Newton had 2 mental breakdowns in his lifetime from his work with mercury.
Does this happen during the binge or afterwardsEither, it could happen as you are coming up, it could happen at the peak of the drug in your system, or it could happen as it is leaving, or on the rebound after the bing is over.?

Just bottom line, don't mess with Dopamine Increasers without knowing they cause the positive symptoms of schizophrenia.