• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Using Adderall and Clonidine to Taper off Oxy

Do people really get a comedown from 5-10 mg of Adderall taken just for a couple of days? Something you need Superman levels of strength to handle as @FuneralFather implies above?

Do people really get a comedown from 5-10 mg of Adderall taken just for a couple of days? Something you need Superman levels of strength to handle as @FuneralFather implies above?
Please don’t quote me if your going to be inaccurate. I spoke for myself and I take 20mg

Please don’t quote me if your going to be inaccurate. I spoke for myself and I take 20mg

Sorry, there were various numbers being discussed and I got confused. I wasn’t attempting to put words in your mouth. My apologies. But even at 20 mg per day my question remains the same, is it a reasonably common for people to develop serious withdrawal from Rx levels of Adderall. I’m not talking about people who abuse it, but people who take the doctor’s recommended dosage.

I take 30 mg dexamfetamine a day and can stop for a couple of days if I have no work. Even for a week or more if I’m just chilling. I notice that I’m not on it because I don’t think so clearly or get anything much accomplished, but I don’t have cravings for it or anything more than maybe a bit of mild irritability.

However I have a generally high tolerance to all stimulants and take other meds that might make me different. I’m genuinely curious about other people getting addicted to Rx dose levels though.

Sorry, there were various numbers being discussed and I got confused. I wasn’t attempting to put words in your mouth. My apologies. But even at 20 mg per day my question remains the same, is it a reasonably common for people to develop serious withdrawal from Rx levels of Adderall. I’m not talking about people who abuse it, but people who take the doctor’s recommended dosage.

I take 30 mg dexamfetamine a day and can stop for a couple of days if I have no work. Even for a week or more if I’m just chilling. I notice that I’m not on it because I don’t think so clearly or get anything much accomplished, but I don’t have cravings for it or anything more than maybe a bit of mild irritability.

However I have a generally high tolerance to all stimulants and take other meds that might make me different. I’m genuinely curious about other people getting addicted to Rx dose levels though.
I think mine is a two fold issue, some people tolerate it just fine and honestly if I gave myself a chance I could learn to deal with magnesium, meditation, etc. I don’t find myself addicted. I just find everything to lack the zest it did while the drug is active.

Just in case this helps someone else, Adderall has worked wonders for me to get off Oxy, in combination with clonidine as well. Clonidine alone took away the sweats, but I still felt like death warmed over and very, very tired. Adderall and Clonidine made me feel almost completely normal; the clonidine apparently knocked out the anxiety and speedy heart rate but the adderall I'm guessing boosted dopamine enough so that I wasn't tired or depressed. I still didn't feel 100%, but I definitely felt 85-90%.

I think the key is keeping the usage low -- only 7.5 to 15 mg of adderall if you have tolerance or 5 - 10 mg if you don't have tolerance to go along with 0.01 mg of Clonidine. It amazed me how much easier it made the whole process. And during tapering, this combo actually allowed me to go 10-12 hours between Oxy doses instead of 4 hours, and my tolerance/dependence tended to drop like crazy using that dosing interval. I went from 120 mg down to 40 in a matter of 7-10 days instead of weeks without feeling sick or having to stay in bed.

I doubt there have been any studies on this since I don't think anyone wants to be the one to say one incredibly addicting drug can help reduce an addiction to a different incredibly addicting drug but in my experience it works if done correctly. Just space your decreasing doses of oxycodone before and after the dose(s) of adderall (i.e. I'd take the oxy at 5:30 am when I get up, the adderall/clonidine at 9:30 am, and then I wouldn't need to dose oxy again until around 5:30 pm. The oxy tolerance dropped like a rock until a point where I was able to feel normal and good for extended times without Oxy. Probably the biggest factor in being able to maintain normalcy is it completely gets rid of that brain fog/lack of motivation that is so devastating during opiate withdrawal.

And if your plan is to get on Suboxone or Buprenorphine, this also worked to make the 24 hours before Sub induction much, much easier. The key in that scenario is dosing your last dose of Oxy in the morning, then the adderall twice earlier in the day, and in the evening using another dose of Clonidine to assist with sleep (that one night will probably be rough on sleep, but you'll get a little). Then the next morning start the Sub.

I'm glad that worked for you.

I'm going to explain to you my process. It's pretty crazy and no one should try it unless you absolutely have stimulant tolerance and can handle it. Or no one should do it at all... because it's insane, lol.

For me--as long as I get past the peak and I have kratom, I will be okay. If I use high dose adderall (I suppose how so many use meth/crack to bypass nasty heroin withdrawals) to get past the initial 4 days, I'm not sure why but the withdrawal ends incredibly far sooner.

The point in my theory of why stimulants help the withdrawal is tin-foil hat one where the brain (when deprived of sleep) actually goes into some hyperdrive mode and then (when sleep is finally attained) the body/brain recovers as much as it possibly can from the sleep it is finally achieving. I basically redose 100 or so milligrams over and over (probably respacing it around 10-12 hours if you can between doses) until at least two days without sleep are completed. If you can't handle doses like that or even higher, then I would not even attempt it.

There might be something to the brain deprived on sleep recovering far faster than the brain with sleep consistently achieved. I know realistically that this does not do anything good for your body or mind.

If anyone genuinely think a stone cold junkie (on oxy or heroin and etc) will just sit by the seconds day by day waiting to become sober again.. have you seen what addicts are like? At this point the alternative treatments like suboxone, methadone, or all of the weird things above are at least a chance at achieving sobriety for a prolonged period of time. That's just my two cents!

FYI I am doing good. Tried to DM you. Says I can’t. But in a nutshell wanted to say thanks for the chat. It did really help. Take care my friend!

That message was to jabberwocky. On my phone and not sure what I did wrong for the reply...