• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Usefulness of very quick taper?

Bstr83

Greenlighter
Been looking around for anyone with some experience with this but can?t seem to find anything. A bit of history first....been recreationally abusing oxy for about 7 years, with no more than a few 30-60 day breaks along the way. Due to financial constraints I?ve managed to keep my use at no more than 150-200mg up the nose.

I?m ready to be done with this madness, so about three weeks ago I quickly got myself down to 15-30mg a day. This lasted two weeks, with even a couple days of nothing. I had noticed the WD was very very mild on the days I didn?t use and even had an appetite throughout the day which never happens for me first day of a rough WD. I had made sure to only use at night as opposed to all day (during my 2 week quick taper) as I thought perhaps this would help too.

Like so many times before and so many others I slipped up and had about a week of back to my usual 150mg per day. Tried just going CT after that week and it was pretty rough as expected I suppose. Can?t use for more than a day or two like that and it?s full blown hell again for me anyhow. So I did two days of 60mg, two days of 30mg, and tomorrow I?m going to do one last 15mg. Again I?ve been waiting about 24 hours between doses. This afternoon I had an appetite, not so much after the first drop. So sorry for the long explanation but has anyone had experience with a very very rapid taper? I know it?s far from ideal, but money has mostly run out and long term taper just won?t work. I?d also just like to break from the people I get it from and a long term taper will just keep me around it. And if it?s around I?m going to go big....full addict mode.

Has anyone here tried something similar? I figure it has to help at least a little. Before I?d wake up and do 50mg immediately in AM then 100 or so afternoon/evening. It?s promising that I had an appetite today at lunch without taking anything as from previous attempts first day especially I couldn?t even think about food. Should I just jump off now and take what comes my way or spread it out one last day at 15 then be done? Thx for any experience you can share!

The only reason to prolong an opioid taper would be to avoid uncomfortable withdrawal. The more quickly you’re able to kick the habit the better off you’ll be.

Well yes the idea is to try and avoid a particularly rough withdrawal. My thought was by doing a very rapid taper, I could have a few days of being only mildly uncomfortable followed by a much easier time when I stop completely. I guess it?s a choice between being like half dopesick for a slightly longer time as opposed to full blown sickness for three days if I jumped from the larger dose.

So I guess what I was specifically trying to ask is am I going to have an easier time by doing a quick few day taper, just have it more drawn out and milder, or because of such a short taper will it be just as bad but adding a few days of mild sickness on the front end? Doesn?t seem like people have much experience with this approach aside from using suboxone for a three or four day taper. Tried that and found it did nothing for me but delay the inevitable so we?ll see how this goes. I?m having my normal late second day and third day symptoms already so I?m hopeful. Made it to the gym this afternoon which is definitely something I could t normally do so maybe there?s something to it.

I?ll try and report back and let everyone know how it goes. If I don?t I?d say it?s a fair bet it didnt go well and I?m back in the ruthless cycle. But I?m sick and tired of being sick and tired and have a ski vacation next week I?d like to enjoy so I?m at least very motivated. If anyone has some prior experience doing this tho I?d love to hear from you!

As an added note I?m sorry but for some reason apostrophes are showing as question marks, not sure why!