• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

used a dirty needle :/

U

Unregisteredguy

saturday night. used comet in water and flushed a couple of times. then flushed with water a couple of times. guy said he didn't have anything but has been an IV user forever so whatever.

how long to get tested?

1 month or 3?

hep c and hiv right?

i know better. damn.

Don't stress yourself out there is a much better chance you don't have anything

Don't stress, but it's a good idea to wait 3 -4 months and get tested for both to be sure.

Sometimes the virus for hep c is detectable earlier than twelve weeks and hiv even sooner. So yes, you can get tested next month and see how it comes out. Then have the tests repeated later. Wish you the best.

If it's been less than 72 hours you can go to the ER or a hospital and ask to get on post-exposure meds for HIV. Do get tested, and stay safe.

Get tested at 1 month, 3 months and then 6 months to be absolutely certain. It's always better safe than sorry. Many people will push it out of their minds and not get tested but just that uncertainty can play on your mind. Some people could decide that they already probably have something so they engage in even more risky behaviors. I hope you didn't contract anything.

The safe injection team in my city told me that 2 minutes in bleach is enough to kill hep c, but nothing can guarantee that and there is no way to ensure that the bleach is in contact with the whole inside of the needle. It's never worth the risk. Needles are so cheap and it's better to keep your own used needle on you than to use someone else's.

I can understand the desperation and impulsivity when drugs are around but it's just never worth it to take that risk. I quit IV drug use recently, I never shared with anyone but I got tested multiple times after I quit even though I knew for a fact that I never used anyone else's needle but I did use in the same room as someone else. It's definitely better to be safe than sorry.

As mentioned, if you go to the ER they can give anti-virals and a few things to greatly lessen your chances of contracting a blood borne disease.

My wife is a nurse in the OR and has had a few messed up things happen. Been stuck with a needle being used inside someone that is covered in blood, on more than one occasion, had a drill bit go thru a bone being repaired right into the meat of her hand, various body fluids going everywhere including eyes and mouth, and likely others she hasn't mentioned. There is a protocol where they are immediately pulled from the case and the site is scrubbed and allowed to bleed if possible, and then a trip to get a round of meds. They also pull blood from the patient and have a panel run to see if they have anything which they now get back in a few hours in her large level 1 trauma center she works at. No one has ever had anything and she has tested clean each time. But they also have told her the transfer of disease is fairly rare from a needle prick as it happens fairly often. They may say that to comfort them but I imagine it's somewhat true? Still not an excuse for risky behavior. Not only that, but used needles dull quickly which does more damage to the vein than a sharp needle.

But definitely best to get checked like you are but if it happens again it might be worth a trip to the ER to get a round of meds. They also have same things if you engage in risky sex, FYI.

You are most likely fine so I wouldn't worry until there is a reason to worry as it's just undue stress and anxiety.