• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Use of atypical antipsychotics in alcohol withdrawal syndrome (study)

Snafu in the Void

Moderator: NMI Bukowski Jr.
Staff member
I'm currently drying out, having some wds and began (re)taking quetiapine. It definitely seems to help, at least at night for sleep and when I tend to feep most agitated.

I stumbled upon this study which I found to be very comprehensive and easy to read for the layman. Just felt like sharing.

Hmm, interesting. I can definitely see them helping with sleep. I think that zyprexa might be GABAergic, too.

I'm currently drying out, having some wds and began (re)taking quetiapine. It definitely seems to help, at least at night for sleep and when I tend to feep most agitated.

I stumbled upon this study which I found to be very comprehensive and easy to read for the layman. Just felt like sharing.

That study has some weird things about it. They dissolve their drugs in vinegar to inject them in the rats (0.1% acetic acid). Ouch!

They dissolve their drugs in vinegar to inject them in the rats (0.1% acetic acid). Ouch!
Do you have any idea as to why they would do that, over another solvent?

I guess maybe they have poor solubility in water/saline, and they don't have better options?

Do you have any idea as to why they would do that, over another solvent?

I guess maybe they have poor solubility in water/saline, and they don't have better options?
I am unsure; I would expect the drug to be in DMSO or phosphate buffered saljne. Other studies dissolve it in saline. Intraperotineal injection of acetic acid is a way of causing rodent pain for which to test analgesics against. Maybe it's an error in the methods section or something. Or maybe there's some plain reason for it, I'm unsure.

i think seroquel would be a beneficial tool in the toolkit for most people, if herbs like chamomile and passionflower aren't up to the job to get you to sleep.

to get to sleep if you can't sleep, i take 25-50mg instant release if i need to at night, its a very good sleep aid, and helps mildly with anxiety the next day ime.