• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

*URGENT* Dilaudid insufflation for pain relief

JennCajun

Greenlighter
Hey guys
So my post isn't an emergency or anything but I really would appreciate an answer within a few hours. Recently I've just been released from the hospital after more than a months stay following a gun shot to my face. I am home now and trying to manage the pain with up to 12 MG's a day of dilaudid, plus some celebrex. The problem is..this isn't enough and I'm still experiencing a SIGNIFICANT amount of pain. I told my doctor but because I'm a 18 y/o female, with addiction in the family, she won't up my dosage. Anyways, I was hoping to take the pills and snort them to get better pain relief..and if not that at least a decent high or buzz. My problem, however, is that all my pills arnt contoles by me. So I hid one short acting 2mg dilaudid under my tongue and hid it so that I can hopefully snort it alongside my one 3mg long acting dilaudid/hydromorphone contin. Will snorting these two allow me some relief so I can rest or should I not bother and take it orally? Also, if I can snort it, the long acting is a capsule with microbeads inside.. Do I crush those or snort those? Thanks guys,
I would REALLY appreciate any advice.

P.S I also take 50mg seroquil at night if that will help potentiate or is recreational some how

Don't try to snort the long acting hydromorphone with the little beads inside. There's a thread on here about someone getting into a lot of problems doing that due to getting talc in their lungs....

The short acting aren't exactly safe to snort either but the long acting are pretty dangerous.

So can I take the long acting orally and the short acting I can snort? Please, I'm not trying to get addicted but this pain is making me so miserable, I'm unable to leave my house

Well I dont want to say yes it's ok but put it this way, if you have to snort one type to get adequate pain relief then do it with the short acting one and not the long acting....

Its still not safe but snorting the long acting is much more problematic....Take the long acting orally. Those beads are hard to defeat anyway.

Have you tried using the forum search engine and reading the hydromorphone mega thread? There are plenty of good tips on there about getting the most from your med....

^apart from IV'ing the IR then yes it would be preferable if you swallow the long acting and snort the IR, but I'm unsure if the BA nasally is better than orally, you may get a quicker onset but less drug and duration.

I would crush and grind whatever you are going to take orally just so that it's closer to an IR med, you've broken it down already so your gut can get on with absorbing drug as more of it is released at the same time due to being crushed.

Wow, crazy story. Thanks so much for your advice and for that..saving me from more possible pain! I've decided to snort the IR and orally take the ER. I'll let you all know the results..I imagine I've developed a tolerance though and I fear nothing will happen

Hi Jenn, may I ask how you were shot in the face? And which bones and parts were affected by the bullet?

^apart from IV'ing the IR then yes it would be preferable if you swallow the long acting and snort the IR, but I'm unsure if the BA nasally is better than orally, you may get a quicker onset but less drug and duration.

I would crush and grind whatever you are going to take orally just so that it's closer to an IR med, you've broken it down already so your gut can get on with absorbing drug as more of it is released at the same time due to being crushed.
Oral ba 30-35% Intranasal ba 50%.. But yes, swallow the er.

^Yes, we take it your mouth and snout weren't seriously affected but the phrase "shot in the face" conjures up some serious carnage in my mind, but one could certainly take a bullet and have it pass through the cheek of a shocked victim with the bullet embedded in the wall behind you?

It's all bad, don't like guns.

Hi Jenn, may I ask how you were shot in the face? And which bones and parts were affected by the bullet?
Hey there,
Sure thing I'll explain plus the injuries that were done. It'll be long so be careful what you wish for ;). Anyways, I have Bipolar II and recently.. Or recently a month ago, was having major sleeping issues. My bipolar was also treatment resistant I should mention. I was then in one of my depressive episodes of the bipolar and hadn't slept for 3 days straight. I had tried Ativan, weed, Diphenhydramine, meditation..you name it but nothing. Anyways so to my horrifying surprise , I awoke one Thursday morning in a state of psychosis which according to doctors was caused by the amount of mixed antidepressants and antipsychotic I was being tried on, plus the exhaustion and finally, psychosis is just something that can happen when you have a sever mental illness that remains untreated or is treatment resisted. So, despite not wanting to (honestly, I want to live for my future) I grabbed my fathers rifle and went into the garage and promptly shot myself in the right of my chin. My entire family was in Florida so no one heard or anything. By a real miracle, after the shot I guess because of shock or..like I said, miracle, I was still standing and still conscious. I was still in psychosis unfortunately though so I lay on the floor and began watching myself bleed out to the point there was so much blood running on my face that I couldn't see through it. Then, and thank God this happened, I'm assuming the amount of adrenaline in my body caused it, but I snapped back into reality and out of psychosis. Upon realising 1. What I had done and 2. How much agony I was in, I called 911. It took me a few tries as I first dialed "991" twice, but luckily I was able to focus and understand why that number wasn't working. Because of the damage the shot did to my face and especially jaw I couldn't speak clearly whatsoever. I'm so happy the woman on the line was smart because she had me spell out my address so that she could understand it. She stayed on the line with me until I told her "I don't think I'm going to make it..are they coming?" She reassured me of both things and just as I began to lose consciousness my garage door opened and a team of paramedics barged in. I was airlifted to a hospital in Toronto and was put in a Medically induced coma for a week until I was worked on by plastic surgeon . I think its easiest just to list the injuries and the status. Here they are:
Jaw broken in 3 places - Currently wired in place. Last surgery in 2 days
Palette shattered - As above
Multiple teeth knocked out/multiple loosened - medical braces should tighten teeth, I'm still wearing them now. Once I cover the more important things I will need a lot of dental work
Hole in tongue - Repaired itself before surgery. Scarred and does not have full function but no speech impediment
Nerve damage to chin and lower right side of my face. - no feeling in any of these areas still..apparent the nerve is expected to heal in a year or two and I will regain feeling.
Left eye swollen and impaired due to bullet shrapnel (Bullet exploded upon impact) - most of the shrap was removed however there are still some pieces which cause me to have a slight lazy eye. I now need a stronger prescription but can see just fine
I'm not sure what the names of these other bones were but the entire left side of my face from the eye down was broken , including the nose and much shrap and bone was fished out of my nasal cavities. - my face is now half titanium (literally). The surgeons did a great job and while the bullet hole and incision on my chin is visible, the scar under my eye is not seen at all.
Finally, there was a significant amount of blood loss, but that of course, was an easy fix
I'm so sorry this post is SUPER long but you asked and it helps me to talk about it. :)

Also, I promised I'd update everyone, whether you all care or not. So, I did as I said I would by orally taking the ER and snorting the IR. I certainly did not get high or buzzed off of this, which told me that it wasn't enough to stop all the pain. To be honest, as much as I love a good high like any other, I really am/was looking for pain relief more than anything. Anyway, this method like I said did not completely take away my pain however it helped a small bit more..very minor yet enough to be a lot more comfortable. Tomorrow, I will hoard my pills until nighttime so I can snort(or perhaps even just take) 4mg IR and 6 ER.
Overall, not dissapointed.

I'm really sorry this happened to you. But maybe not a great idea to snort if your nose and sinuses are affected.

Also, I promised I'd update everyone, whether you all care or not. So, I did as I said I would by orally taking the ER and snorting the IR. I certainly did not get high or buzzed off of this, which told me that it wasn't enough to stop all the pain. To be honest, as much as I love a good high like any other, I really am/was looking for pain relief more than anything. Anyway, this method like I said did not completely take away my pain however it helped a small bit more..very minor yet enough to be a lot more comfortable. Tomorrow, I will hoard my pills until nighttime so I can snort(or perhaps even just take) 4mg IR and 6 ER.
Overall, not dissapointed.

You could always try potentiating your hydro with dph or dxm..

- Hopeless soul

Hydromorphone is nifty in that if you choose a different route of administration than oral, it's easy to take advantage.

Oral: 30–35%, Intranasal: 52–58% IV/IM:100% Rectal administration of Hydromorphone is not advised, as the Bioavailability is actually lower than the oral route.

This doesn't leave you with many options for increasing the efficiency of your prescription. Insufflation is the obvious choice, as you get a pretty significant boost in bioavailability, but you need to be weary of the binders and fillers contained in controlled-release preparations as they can cause dangerous medical conditions such as Talcosis. If you're willing to get real Aggro, what you should do is obtain some micron/wheel filters, perform a couple of filtrations then let the solution evaporate and insufflate the remaining Hydromorphone or you could leave the drug in solution and attempt to insufflate it as a spray. You could use a saline spray bottle for this, it works fine.

Obviously, the elephant in the room is gonna be the parenteral route, meaning IV, IM and SC among some other more specialized ROA's. You get a 3-fold increase in bioavailabiliy when compared to the oral route, although duration of effect is slightly shortened. Parenteral use of pills is always going to be dangerous, but that doesn't mean people aren't going to do it, so best to supply you with the most complete and concise information possible.

If you choose to use your Hydromorphone parenterally, you absolutely must use micron sized filters. Sometimes you can obtain these at needle exchange programs, but it varies from place to place. Crush Hydromorphone, solute, filter with cotton, filter in descending increments and you should be left with a pretty clear solution. This really is not advised because of how dangerous it is and all of the potential complications, but this is how you get the most out of Hydromorphone.

I have to disagree. Rectal dilaudid is substantially more effective for me than oral. That's actually the first time I have read that and thought every time I've seen bioavailability numbers here in the forums that oral is quoted as lower and rectal significantly higher. I know from many years of daily use that rectal is significantly stronger than oral, for me. I would estimate 2-3 times stronger.

The only problem is that once you start, it's hard to go back because it just doesn't work as well. It also makes your tolerance go up more quickly it seems. But when you are in pain you do what you have to do.

OP, I'm very sorry to hear of your ordeal! I would think your pain would be tremendous and I can't imagine a Dr would allow you to be in pain regardless of family history. I will say it is in your best interest to not chase a buzz but to try and take as little as possible to make the pain tolerable and not more. Once you start taking more just to get a buzz your tolerance adjusts to that dosage so you need it all the time for pain. For pain control it's better to have a steady level in your body than to have big spikes like when you save up pills and take all at once. If you are still in pain then tell your Dr. They have a responsibility to keep you comfortable but also safe so do it for real pain and not to get high. You may have pain for a while as things heal and if you have additional surgery. Pain can make you miserable and being able to control it is a blessing. I wish I would have known that just trying to get a buzz every few weeks would make tolerance skyrocket and pain hard to control. If you have to catch a buzz, it's better to find something different than opiates as a pain patient. Anyways, I hope you heal quickly and that you don't have pain for much longer!

PS I also looked up studies and found where a 3 mg oral dose of dilaudid had an average peak plasma level around 2 ng/ml. And a rectal suppository had an average around 3 ng/ml. I honestly think the difference is bigger than that for me but everyone's bodies are different.