• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Urgent: Codeine overdose symptoms

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickmisiu

Greenlighter
Just took 500mg of codeine, the highest dose I've taken before. The dose I took before was about 350mg and it didn't affect me all too much. If it matters I can handle about 50mgs of oxy and feel pretty good. Just in case though what are some signs that I've taken too much codeine and what can I do to lessen the effects if anything bad is to happen? Thanks all, looking for fast replies :)

The only advice we can give you over the internet, not being medical professionals, is to call emergency services and get checked out. Call an ambulance or go to the hospital.

You're probably OK - keep a phone close I guess, if you start nodding uncontrollably, dial 911. Maybe ask a friend to come over and watch over you. Since you've taken 350mg before and not felt much, I have to think that 500 won't do much either. Oral opiate overdoses don't instantly manifest, they take awhile to build. You aren't going to drop dead; if you actually OD'd, you'd go into super nod dream land and stop breathing at some point.

Codeine kind of has a maximum dose ceiling. Codeine itself is psychoactive, but not very potent. Your liver metabolizes it to morphine, which of course is a lot more potent. I think that due to metabolism, the liver is only capable of handling 400mg of codeine or so. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong.

So, due to both that and codeine's high histamine response, it's hard to actually OD on. You're more likely to puke first vs nodding out and ceasing to breath.

I hope it was just codiene and not mixed with shit like paracetamol or nurofen for your sake

Once it's in you, you can't lesson the effects. If you feel that you're overdosing, get medical attention now. I have to close this.

Status
Not open for further replies.