• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Update on Deprenyl?

Built240

Bluelighter
What is the current update on this drug? I was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder and my therapist gave me Lexapro,lamictal And trileptal. Was on lexapro for 7 years, lamical and trileptal for about 2 years. I told myself I don?t want to be on any medication as it?s not needed for borderline personality disorder only cognitive therapy is so I weaned myself off The lamical and trileptal over a 3-4mo period. Last dose was about 6mo ago. I weaned off the lexapro over a 6mo period. Last dose about 3mo ago. The only thing I am on now is Adderall since the lethargy was so bad with those he prescribed me adderall. That is by far the one drug I wish I never touch. The first time I took it I realized nothing would ever feel the same without it and I needed more and more. this is the one that I can?t kick. I need it to function and I need more and more and I can see myself getting into a bad path. I have 2 boy toddlers and a demanding wife so I?m exhausted all the time and need this even more now but I don?t want long-term neurotoxicity and even though I supplement with a ton of neuroprotective supplements I?m sure damage will still occur. I know I need to taper off of it so I?m wondering if deprenyl would be good to add to help with the withdrawal? And I need to figure out the dosing of deprenyl while still on adderall. I take more adderall than I should about 60-90mg day. I need to wean to 40-60mg for a few weeks then 20-40 for a few weeks then 10-20 then 5-10 then quit. Would it be fine to start deprenyl now at a low dose say 1mg/day and would it even help with the cravings and withdrawal? Thanks

What evidence makes you so sure theraputic doses of amphetamine cause neurotoxicity?

What if even if amphetamine at theraputic doses was neurotoxic that a ton of supplements had very little evidence they provide neuroprotection?

What specific damage are you sure will occur?

How do you know you need to taper off it?

How is deprenyl a safer alternative to adderall?

Is it possible to reduce adderall to theraputic doses like 5 - 60 mg instead of taking a maoi inhibitor?

I just thought these questions might be worth thinking about. I hope it might be a lil useful. Sorry if it comes accross as rude im horrible at social interactions.

You are going to want to be extremely careful if you intend to take deprenyl for boosting, or after you halt, amphetamine. MAOI's are very powerful drugs that usually include restricted diets because they will greatly amplify physiological reactions to molecules found in common foods.

Also since it works as an antidepressant it also increases the risk of suicidal thoughts. Increased suicidal thoughts combined with depression from cessation of amphetamine might just be the perfect storm.

You will get a spell of depression coming off that dose of amphetamine every day. It's best to just stop all at once and get it over with. IMO tapering is just going to prolong the mental aspect of the withdrawals so it's not going to help much.

What evidence makes you so sure theraputic doses of amphetamine cause neurotoxicity?

I thought amphetamines are linked to neurotoxicity at certain doses and certain prolonged periods? It?s mainly animal studies from what I read but they can?t be good for you.

What if even if amphetamine at theraputic doses was neurotoxic that a ton of supplements had very little evidence they provide neuroprotection?

Many of the supplements are youse have lots of studies showing how neuroprotective they are. CBD oil, ALCAR, R-ALA,etc..

What specific damage are you sure will occur?

I don?t know but my goal is to not be on any medications at all.

How do you know you need to taper off it?

I did it once in the past over a four-month period and stayed off for a full year but was constantly tired and then when I got a new job I had so much responsibilities I made the choice to go back on again which I probably shouldn?t and now I?m back to square one.

How is deprenyl a safer alternative to adderall?

I don?t know that it is I wouldn?t want to be on it long term I was talking mainly about using it during the taper and for a little while after him completely off of it then stopping that as well.

Is it possible to reduce adderall to theraputic doses like 5 - 60 mg instead of taking a maoi inhibitor?

Yes but I have actually don?t want to take anything.

I just thought these questions might be worth thinking about. I hope it might be a lil useful. Sorry if it comes accross as rude im horrible at social interactions.

Thank you for your advice I answered each question underneath.

You are going to want to be extremely careful if you intend to take deprenyl for boosting, or after you halt, amphetamine. MAOI's are very powerful drugs that usually include restricted diets because they will greatly amplify physiological reactions to molecules found in common foods.

Also since it works as an antidepressant it also increases the risk of suicidal thoughts. Increased suicidal thoughts combined with depression from cessation of amphetamine might just be the perfect storm.

You will get a spell of depression coming off that dose of amphetamine every day. It's best to just stop all at once and get it over with. IMO tapering is just going to prolong the mental aspect of the withdrawals so it's not going to help much.

What types of food would I have to avoid? Suicidal thoughts are never an issue for me I?ve been extremely depressed in the past and I?ve taken antidepressants, well Lexapro, and it didn?t cause any extra suicidal thoughts, etc. i?m mainly looking for something to use that will make the taper and withdraw easier. At first I was thinking maybe Wellbutrin but when I read about Deprenyl in Life Extension it seems as if it?s something everybody would want to go on as it?s neuroprotective, increases longevity, etc.

https://www.verywellmind.com/foods-to-avoid-when-taking-maois-4136871

I didn't read through the entire article but it will at least give you an idea of why you shouldn't eat certain foods on MAOI's.

That being said i really don't think you need to take such a strong drug just to try and mitigate oxidative damage from amphetamine. First of all any oxidative damage is probably going to occur when you are using high doses of amphetamine and will gradually lessen as you come off of them. Secondly amphetamine isn't really known for causing neurotoxicity except maybe in high doses for long periods of time.

I just think any oxidative stress that you have put your brain through would be best remedied by eating healthy, antioxidant laden food. Also the sooner you stop amphetamine the sooner you will be free from any potential damage it might cause you. So tapering is not really going to help except maybe psychosomatically.

I'm not a doctor, this is just my basic understanding, but please research any drugs thoroughly before you start using them.

I wrote a huge like 20 min response but bluelight glitched out. Sorry about that.

Basically

But deprenyl works different then lexapro so you could potentially become suicidal

Deprenyl has low bioavailability how do you plan on taking it

Are you planning on theraputic (ie doses on drugs.com) or low doses

Life extension sells supplements so could be bias. Have you considered scholar.google.com Not saying they are wrong everyones biased esp me since i take and like amphetamine.

If you felt tired off it why if you went off drugs would you feel any different this time?

When I went off it before I was still on the lamical,trileptal and lexapro so that played a big factor in lethargy. Now that I have been off those for a while I want to see how my body feels being off amps. I know I do not need amphetamines. I was prescribed them by a Doctor who basically said maybe you have a little ADHD here try Adderall once I tried it there was no going back. But before I ever tried it I was fine, I was able to get through all my daily activities, I was able to work out with just a normal pre-workout where now I basically need a pre-workout and snort a line of Addy, etc. I used wake up every morning and feel normal now I wake up and feel like crap every morning until amps are in my system, etc. by the way whoever says there is no such thing as amphetamine physical withdrawal has not gone through it themself or might be a rare specimen. There is definitely physical withdrawal. Body aches, flu like symptoms,etc..

When I went off it before I was still on the lamical,trileptal and lexapro so that played a big factor in lethargy. Now that I have been off those for a while I want to see how my body feels being off amps. I know I do not need amphetamines. I was prescribed them by a Doctor who basically said maybe you have a little ADHD here try Adderall once I tried it there was no going back. But before I ever tried it I was fine, I was able to get through all my daily activities, I was able to work out with just a normal pre-workout where now I basically need a pre-workout and snort a line of Addy, etc. I used wake up every morning and feel normal now I wake up and feel like crap every morning until amps are in my system, etc. by the way whoever says there is no such thing as amphetamine physical withdrawal has not gone through it themself or might be a rare specimen. There is definitely physical withdrawal. Body aches, flu like symptoms,etc..

You said yourself that you were more functional, not less, before Adderall; you used to be able to get through your day without it, but now that's not so easy. Why continue to take a drug that's making you worse, not better?

Well I was functional before ever tried it. But when actually first trying it and using it the first few months I was 10x more functional and when I have a lot of it in me I?m 10 times more functional but naturally I don?t have any type of attention deficit disorder that requires it so I technically don?t need it. But during the entire year I was off it I was not as functional as I was while on it which is obvious but still not as functional as I was prior to ever trying it. This is day number two where instead of consuming around 90 mg of Adderall I?ve only had 30 and for some weird reason both days I?ve puked each morning and felt nauseous. I never thought I would be addicted to something but yesterday in my office I was literally on hands and knees on the floor looking for a pill that I might?ve dropped in the past and hoping I?d find something. I saw myself in the mirror and was disgusted .