• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Unopposed alpha-stimulation, reconsidered. And what IS considered a safe dose of propanolol, anyway?

llamer

Bluelighter
I'd ask this in Other Drugs but I want someone smart reading this one. Once the reasonable fear of practitioners intent on using beta-blockers in order to lower CNS and peripheral stimulation resulting from misadventure, unopposed alpha-stimulation seems to be getting reconsidered lately. https://litfl.com/beta-blockers-for-cocaine-and-other-stimulant-toxicity/.

It's tempting to treat over-stim/hypertension symptoms with propanolol, since its fairly commonly found in many medicine cabinets and presumably much easier to properly obtain medically due to its legal status (uncontrolled), but I've always followed the rules as well as I could read them, and benzos have generally been just as easy to obtains as B-blockers if not easier, since everyone knows them by name on the street and in the home. up until current opiod crisis-backlash, that is. The likelihood of a medicine cabinet containing any benzo at your ready for stim-induced mild to moderate panic attack or simple unpleasant discomfort has gone down as the headlines pushed up, doctors and pharmacists clamping down hard on their RX pads and numbers the past 4 years, still tho you'd be surprised how many pill bottles containing propanolol there are out there, in medicine cabinets within reach of you or your friends next unexpected stimulant meltdown.

I always wondered what the dose point was for where the possibility of danger began. they'll give you upwards of 100mg at a time 3 times a day, and much more in other situations depending on the circumstances, but i've never seen a pill in excess of 10 mg; usually i start with 5mg and stop around 15. It helps, but perhaps i am exercising more caution than reasonably necessary? at least for myself, i never find myelf in that condition that would require hospotalization, so for us guys wanting simply some edge taken off, propanonlol could be reconsidered. I'm going to keep my dose below 20mg at one given time for now, but if anyone here has any opinion about any of this please share it here, I don't really know what I'm talking about, thanks

take 30mg a day. best thing for treating my PTSD and anxiety. benzos just make it worse