• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Ethnobotanicals "Unknown" plant, with interesting adaptogen and light deliriant effects: Nicandra physalodes

Neuroborean

Bluelight Crew
It seems that it has been used in Tibetan medicine (amazing source of not-well-known phytochemicals and psychoactives=).
I'm just starting to read about it so I don't know so much about it, I copy-paste from its wiki page:

"Nicandra physalodes contains nicandrenones, a group of the steroidal lactones known as withanolides. The nicandrenones, like certain other types of withanolide, have insecticidal properties. 30 years after their discovery, the first total synthesis of nicandrenones was carried out in the year 2000.[21] Amongst its other paradoxical attributes, N. physalodes is also slightly intoxicating,[22] showing a certain degree of psychoactivity of a type similar to that elicited by the tropane alkaloid hyoscyamine (well known as one of the active principles present in the notoriously toxic nightshades Hyoscyamus niger and Atropa belladonna and causing mydriasis - a symptom said also to be caused by the alkaloids present in Nicandra). This property of the plant is reflected in one of the common names given it in France (namely belladonne de pays i.e. 'country belladonna') and likewise in the common name belladona given it in Bolivia.[23] It is not yet known whether this mild psychoactivity is referable to the alkaloid content or the withanolide content (or possibly to both - or indeed a synergy between the two). Like its more toxic relatives, Nicandra physalodes is alkaloidal, analyses having revealed the presence of the tropane alkaloid tropinone and the pyrrolidine alkaloid hygrine (0.1%, in the root). Withanolides are found almost exclusively in plants of the Solanaceae and, while it is noticeable that many psychoactive species belonging to that family contain only, or primarily, such compounds, not a single withanolide has yet been proven to be psychoactive. The compounds are named for the Solanaceous genus Withania, the best-known species of which, Withania somnifera, is, as its specific name suggests, mildly psychoactive to the extent of being sleep-inducing (among other useful medicinal properties). The use of W.somnifera (common name (i.a.) 'Indian ginseng') as a tonic (adaptogen) in Ayurvedic medicine[24] parallels the use of Nicandra as an adaptogen in traditional Tibetan medicine (see above, under 'Uses') and is accounted for by withanolide content.[25][26] Also present in Nicandra are calystegines, a new group of polyhydroxy alkaloids with a nortropane skeleton and named for the bindweed genus Calystegia (Convolvulaceae). Their occurrence has been noted in several species of the Solanaceae, including Atropa belladonna. The biosynthesis of these compounds is thought to take place via the tropane alkaloid pathway, the first metabolite being pseudotropine.[27]"

It seems pretty interesting to be honest...

"This plant is also known by name shoo fly plant because it has potent insects repellant property due to the presence of nicandrenone as a main active chemical constituent. Various alkaloids like withanolide, withaperuvin E and nicandrin B are isolated from this plant which is responsible for various pharmacological activities. The literature survey of the plant possessed various pharmacological activities like antidiabetic, diuretic, antimicrobial etc. It also shows in-vitro cytotoxic activity. Traditionally it is used as Analgesic, anthelmintic, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and febrifuge and its regular use also increases bodily vigour. It is also used in the treatment of contagious disorders, toothache, and intestinal pain from worms and in impotence. On the basis of their traditional use and scientific investigation, this plant is considered to be very important according to medicinal point of view"

Reading the abstract would be enough for me to try to find it..

About the chemicals... I would need much more time to do a proper "study" of them since there's not so many sources it seems:
"CHEMICAL CONSTITUENTS:
The alkaloids like withanolide, withaperuvin E and nicandrin B are isolated from the plant and characterized by means of chemical and spectroscopy [11].A compound called 6- Hydroxykynurenic Acid (6-HKA) is also present in Nicandra and most of the species of solanaceae family. The presence of 6-HKA is taken as evidence in plants for the tryptophan-catabolic pathway already known in mammals and micro-organisms [12]. Nic-1- lactone, a minor steroidal constituent was also obtained from nicandra plant. 3-O-β-D-
glucopyranosyl-1α, 2β, 3α, 6α-tetrahydroxy- nor-tropane
are recently isolated compounds from Nicandra physalodes fruits (Solanaceae.) [13]. Nicandrenone is obtained from the
leaves of plant Nicandra physalodes. The substance nicandrenone is insect’s repellents with toxic properties. It is a conjugated ketone with molecular formula C33H44O7.This substance was showing insects repellent properties against housefly as well as hornworms. This repellent substance nicandrenone is obtained from the leaves by means of extraction [14].Nicandra physalodes contains two new methyl steroids (2) and (3) the constitution of the former is demonstrated by crystallographic analysis of its acetate, using direct methods. [15] The roots of nicandra physalodes contain 0.1% hygrine [16]."

More info: https://laidbackgardener.blog/2018/...-the-most-beautiful-annual-you-never-planted/

Here you can see where it has been introduced and from where it's native:

Some papers about the chemicals:

About some actives and their potential neuroprotective effects...

This plant is odd as fuck, it seems toxic to animals, but only in high quantities and it has been used as medicine and food (in China). I cannot find actual human toxicology reports so I guess it's not as toxic as the other solanaceae deliriants and its pharmacological activity seems to be aimed to be an adaptogen similar to ashwagandha more than anything else, however because of its complexity it would be interesting to get it and use it, in increased doses, as its potential toxicity is tested. Only in animals there's some unconclusive toxicity reports (goats/calves), and the LD50 in mice seems to be quite high (or moderate, depending on how you want to see it).
Here it's stated that it has "low severity" poisonous characteristics. https://plants.ces.ncsu.edu/plants/nicandra-physalodes/#poison

Other common names of the plant are: peru apple, shoo fly and uchuva del duende (in South America). Uchuva is the edible physallis fruit/plant and duende means elf/goblin.

Perhaps this plant is useless.... who knows, for me it seem interesting enough to find some seeds and grow it on my own, don't you think? what do you think @G_Chem ?

Well, I will keep posting info about this plant as I gather new interesting info about it.
As I said above most reports on which someone say it's "dangerous" or "Poisonous" seem to be from places/cultures that have no experience with the plant (apart from cattle apparently dying, so that's makes a point..).

In China it has been also used as medicine, as well as the Tibetan culture, and the berries (supposedly super poisonous) are used as food:

"Nicandra Adans. is a small genus in the Solanaceae, which only includes three species, namely N. john-tyleriana, N. yacheriana, and N. physalodes (Horton 1979). Among these species, N. physalodes is native to regions from Peru to northern Argentina (Hunznker 1979), then it was introduced to China as medicinal plant and now the species is widely found in tropical and subtropical areas of southern China (Zhang et al. 2000). In most regions, it has been used as folk medicine for sedative, expectorant, fever relieving, and detoxification (Editorial Board of National Herbal Compendium 1975) and its seed could be utilized to extract edible pectin to make jelly (Chen et al. 2017)."

Of course their psychoactivity it's not clear, but it's likely that something that works as a "sedative" "fever relieving" and "analgesic" and also to give the body "more vigour" is at least somewhat psychoactive, at least as ashwagandha is. Withanolides seem to be the most active substances, I cannot find proper info about the tropane-like alkaloids but the papers say there's some like tropinone (precursor to atropine).

Here there's another paper about the actives of different plants with withanolides:

"Annual herb Nicandra physaloides (N. physaloides; Solanaceae family) originates in Peru and is also distributed in Yunnan, Guangxi, Guizhou, and other places in China [137]. The whole plant of N. physaloides is used as medicine, especially as a sedative, expectorant, antipyretic, and antidote in China [138,139]. Phytochemical studies revealed that N. physaloides contained large amounts of withanolides [140,141] and aromatic glycosides [142], with anti-tumor [143], anti-inflammatory [144], and other pharmacological effects."

I don't know how fun do you see this but while in China it's considered an "antidote" and for "detoxification" and used for food, in western countries is considered poisonous!! as some webpage states: don't eat anything of it!! it's not edible!! Well, the fact is it's probaly useful used in the right way, and I hope I'll grow it to try with small amounts till I find the way it's used, it seems that it can be studied properly here: (Editorial Board of National Herbal Compendium 1975) and here: [138,139] .
Something that I didn't yet. Will do.

Last edited:
Hey sorry man I forgot to respond to this..

Not really sure what to think, it seems more medicinal than recreational from what I’ve read but likely worth trying. I get the impression it’s on the level of something like Ginseng.

-GC

Hey sorry man I forgot to respond to this..

Not really sure what to think, it seems more medicinal than recreational from what I’ve read but likely worth trying. I get the impression it’s on the level of something like Ginseng.

-GC
The thing is that the "intoxication" it's depicted as the kind of the nightshades deliriants, just not as strong, but as you say, it's medicinal value seem to be closer to ginseng or ashwagandha.
My bet it's that it has some mixed pharmacology, atypical, of a nightshade and an adaptogen.

Last edited: