View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

University star Monika Kent’s slide into an ice hell

poledriver

Bluelighter
University star Monika Kent’s slide into an ice hell

113888-c37f3f46-a03d-11e4-b0c3-1d439f0b9016.jpg

SHE’S the brilliant award-winning university student whose life has been ruined by ice.

Monika Kent was top of her class at Sydney University and in 2013 won the prestigious Australian Psychology Society Prize.

But her addiction to the drug that is destroying so many young Australian lives led to her becoming a prostitute who was raiding mailboxes to find anything she could use or sell to buy drugs.

At her sentencing hearing this week for a string of drug and theft charges, Kent, 41, admitted she was still using heroin and ice daily as she promised to get clean.

Chief Magistrate Graeme Henson said it “beggared belief” someone of her privilege and high-achieving background could descend to such depths.

114245-ded62b4c-a03d-11e4-b0c3-1d439f0b9016.jpg

She was arrested three times in three months late last year, all while on bail.

She was often caught red-handed stealing mail or possessing drugs while high.

“As a criminal you are not very good at it,” Mr Henson said.

He asked Kent, given her expertise in psychology, if she could explain how she got to the point where she faced serious jail time.

“To this day it baffles me. I can’t give a logical reason,” she said.

Kent, who has gone into rehab, told Downing Centre Local Court: “I am very aware I am hanging by the thinnest thread.”

Mr Henson sentenced her to an 18-month good behaviour bond but warned her if she came before a court in that period she would be going to jail.

To this day it baffles me. I can’t give a logical reason

“It defies description that someone of your intellect would embark on this course in the first place. You have so much to offer,” he said.

Kent had a clean record before her first arrest in October 2013, for possessing $50 worth of heroin.

By September last year her occupation had changed to being a prostitute when she was caught stealing from mailboxes and hiding bank cards in her bra.

Kent’s lawyer Paul McGirr said her drug addiction had ruined her relationship with her parents but she had beaten heroin addiction in her twenties and could do it again.

with comments -

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...into-an-ice-hell/story-fni0cx12-1227193741979

From top university student to hooking for a puff. Very tragic. Wish she gets the help she needs.

Intelligence or a "privileged and high achieving background" have nothing to do with it. Just more meth hysteria to keep the populace distracted.

She looks like she's 60......that damn drug really screws up your looks.

any drug that fucks your sleep cycle up is gonna fuck your face up; and meth gets a Gold medal in this. I bet she was a good looking girl before meth romantically embraced her.

Meth ages you horribly heroin on the other hand seems to preserve your youth the lifestyle will wreck you tho if you don't haveeans to support it

any drug that fucks your sleep cycle up is gonna fuck your face up; and meth gets a Gold medal in this. I bet she was a good looking girl before meth romantically embraced her.

Meth works addicts hard.. makes people look awful. There has to be more to it than just the sleep thing. Wonder if she was all speeded up when she was doing the work that won her that award.

How old is she?