• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Unique codeine cold water extraction conundrum

SonoranSounds

Greenlighter
I've been living across South America, where pharmacists are quite accommodating, and have been using the standard cold water extraction on APAP+codeine pills for years. However, I am now staying in a remote part of Peru, where the only regularly available non-syrup codeine formulation is Codipront: 30mg codeine, 10mg phenyltoloxamine, 30mg guaifenesin. I'm mostly concerned about the guaifenesin, but it would be good to get the phenyltoloxamine out too. Could anyone tell me anything about the water solubility of these two? I'm dealing with powder, not syrup, so hopefully that should make it easier.

Any and all advice is appreciated!

I don't think you can seperate codeine from antihistamines just with cold/hot water, unfortunately. And guaifensin is apparently very water soluble too - approx. 50 g/L, so you can't seperate it based on solubility alone.

Maybe you could selectively extract the codeine as its freebase with ether or pet. ether, that trick works to pull codeine away from caffeine, but don't expect miracles with the antihistamine, it could very well be soluble in ether too.

Youll probablu get anticholinergic syndrome before the guaifensine does anything 30 mg is extremely low in the us I see them in the hundreds of mg.

Also the antihistamine is still a base and like diphenhydramine participates in acid base reactions.

Therefore atless your prepared to do multiple complex steps and fire hazards this is impossible.

Youd have to some kinda complex mixture of solvent extractions, acid base extractions, evaporation, ect ect ect.

In other words if you could safely and effectively do this I believe youd need a skill level where this wouldnt make sense from a cost or time perspective