View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Understanding LSD/acid more (newbie)

blue-curious

Greenlighter
Hello all. I'll be as open as possible. First post. I just finished Steve Jobs last authorized autobiography after a strong recommendation from a friend. I found the book very insightful and interesting. In it Steve discussed his LSD usage and said that it was one of the three most important things he's ever done in his life. Admittedly I've lurked on this forum before because I've been quite curious about the supposed epiphanies and understandings people come to which under the affects of LSD. I've also heard/read a few horror stories that keep me at bay but then read things on here like "lsd is one of the safest drugs in moderation" or similar. I just want to understand how it works on a technical level. I'm no chemist but I understand the basics and have read enough on MDMA and LSD to understand the general concepts. I'm also curious about the potential issues with schizophrenia. I do not have it, nor does anyone currently in my family however my late aunt did and a pretty serious case, she never lived a "normal" life. I just wouldn't want some underlying issue to present itself due to an outside force. I've never showed any signs of the disease and am a happy easy going person.

In general I'm just curious because in his book he said "you will never understand me if you haven't taken lsd". Having read through many reports on your resourceful forum here I am now even more curious. I have experience with MDMA and weed but thats it, thus my resistance.

You probably already know this but Sir francis crick discovered the DNA helix while on a low dose of LSD (or so the storey goes).

Anway, as to the technical side of how it works, well it's complicated to say the least and not entirely understood. I'm pretty tired right now but tomorrow I will attempt to summarize what is known about it's neuropharmacology.

As to whether you should take it, well its impossible to say. The family history of mental illness is a worry, but doesn't mean you will have a problem. Have you tried other drugs such as cannabis, mdma, mushrooms ect? If so have any of them given you bad reactions (like temporary psychosis or extreme paranoia)? If they have then I'd stay clear of LSD. If not then try a small dose maybe, with some benzos on standby in case things go bad. (not to mention friends or a trip sitter and a comfortable enviroment).

I'm not trying to understand him lol but the more I read people's experiences the more curious I am. I have used cannabis and MDMA with no issues no shrooms though.

Take it or don't. As much as I'd love to, no-one can ever explain the psychedelic experience in human language :/

Try it out but carefully. You've dipped your toe in the water with MDMA and weed, try wading in with a half dose of LSD.

I've been doing acid for nearly 2 decades and don't understand it. It's Perplexing. It really is the king of psychedelics though IMO.

Somewhere around 50mics. Depends on the form your acid is in. If it's liquid simply put one drop in say 50ml of water (or 40% alcohol if you want to save it for the future) then drink 25mls. If it's a tab you could split it in two but the dose may not be evenly spread on the tab. Instead you could put the tab in water/alcohol as above, shake and drink half.

Read up on set & setting. Don't dose too high. Have a sitter/ trusted friend. Those are the basic things you can do to minimise risk (eliminating risk is not possible, as with most things in life).

If/when I do anything I am planing to minimize risk with a sober friend around and not over doing it.

Don't be afraid to take one tab man. I know we're here for harm reduction, but one tab will generally barely be enough for you to truly experience LSD. I'm usually left disappointed after a single tab trip.

Remember while your under the influence that it's just a drug, and if you get negative feelings or caught in a thought loop, it will all come to an end eventually. LSD won't hurt you. Try not to go out and about on it for your first time; to me, public spaces can be really uncomfortable. Just stay relaxed, listen to some good tunes, and pick a proper time to dose (i.e. if you dose at 3 am, you'll be up till 7 or 8pm the next day. Keep timing in mind). Set yourself up in a comfy outfit and in a comfy setting.

Good luck with your first trip, and remember that "if it's bitter, it's a spitter!". Real LSD will have no distinguishable taste (however, if you taste a little "electric" taste, that's normal), and fake stuff being passed off as LSD will numb your tongue and taste like absolute ASS for hours. Be careful and find real LSD!

^Great advice 240sxLover, but one thing is that OP is concerned because of a case of schizophrenia in his/her family. There won't be any harm in trying a half dose first just to observe reaction and take it slow. If that goes well, there's always a full tab for next time. So my advice stands: half dose for your first time. It's true like what 240sxLover says that a half tab might be pretty small, especially if it's your first time and you don't know what to look for, but if that's the case you can always work your way up..

If you're really interested in it I would say do 100 mics. It's still a low dose, but 50 mics is too low IMO you won't really even begin to get any of the effects Jobs talks about. 100 mics won't kill you, won't make you crazy, or any of that. You're overthinking it, doing acid once isn't a life altering decision or anything, unless you're doing a ridiculously high dose in which case it still probably wouldn't be life altering, maybe month altering though lol.

If you're really interested in it I would say do 100 mics. It's still a low dose, but 50 mics is too low IMO you won't really even begin to get any of the effects Jobs talks about. 100 mics won't kill you, won't make you crazy, or any of that. .
True for most people, but then some people go crazy from just a small amount of mdma (I've seen it happen). I'm sure 100mics will be fine, but there is no harm in being cautious. In fact there would probably be considerably fewer drug deaths and bad reactions if everyone did a low dose "allergy" test when taking a new drug.

^Great advice 240sxLover, but one thing is that OP is concerned because of a case of schizophrenia in his/her family. There won't be any harm in trying a half dose first just to observe reaction and take it slow. If that goes well, there's always a full tab for next time. So my advice stands: half dose for your first time. It's true like what 240sxLover says that a half tab might be pretty small, especially if it's your first time and you don't know what to look for, but if that's the case you can always work your way up..
Given that the OP seems stable and doesn't show any mental health symptoms, I highly doubt anything bad could come from it. I think the worry of schizophrenia happening due to LSD is over-hyped; all the people I know who have done LSD who are schizophrenic, were already bonkers before LSD. I believe that it will only help to bring out things that already exist. If the OP is in his 20's, then I'd say he's most likely in the clear. I have quite a few friends with close schizophrenic relatives, and those friends take LSD with me and don't give schizophrenia a second thought.

Don't go psyching yourself out OP. LSD is wonderful and magical and can indeed facilitate great change, but the real risks of LSD ever doing you harm are slim to none; you probably have a higher risk of developing health issues from pot or booze than you do LSD.