• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Unable to get high from pot due to antipsychotic-Use Adderall?

Anon456

Greenlighter
I have joined the unfortunate others who have posted about this dreaded issue. Four and a half months ago I was forced to take Prolixin injections while also taking the pill form of the medication, orally. Ever since then, I am unable to experience an effect from any form of recreational drug, including pot and alcohol. Unisom won't even work on me.

I have read numerous accounts online from people who cannot get high or drunk due to antipsychotic medication, even long after they've stopped taking it. (As well as many accounts of people who quit the antipsychotic because it was miserable, but that's another story.) I have been off of the antipsychotic for one month now, and still cannot experience a buzz. I was in this same situation a year ago, and it took a long time for things to return to normal.

Prolixin is a powerful antipsychotic drug. Antipsychotics work by blocking dopamine and seratonin at the receptors in the brain. Drugs and alcohol act on ones dopamine and seratonin. This is why people who have taken antispychotics are unable to experience a buzz.

I have been looking for any way that I can to unblock my dopamine/seratonin receptors. I got Adderall from my general health care practitioner. I expected the Adderall to unblock my receptors but...nothing. I have even abused it a few times, finally going up to 60 mg.

Is there anything I can do?

-Anon456
cleardot.gif

Last edited:
When I was forced to take antipsychotics I couldn't get high on weed, mdma, psychedelics, any kind of downer and most stimulants hardly effected me. The after effects of antipsychotics lasted a long time. Like 2-3 months but it was only about 2 weeks before most drugs got me high again. Now most drugs get me extremely high off of small amounts, or at least they did for awhile until I built a tolerance again. Just give it time is all you can do honestly.

Thank you for your response, Sean107

I also forgot to add that Xanax don't work on me.

Sean107- How long were you on the antipsychotics, and what dose were you on?

Ps. I also forgot to add that I took a shot of 100 proof whiskey and it didn't do anything for me.

I was on rispradol from ages 8-13 then switched to geodon from 13-17. I don't remember the dose but it was usually not very high and I never had antipsychotics injected. Always orally. Anyway when I was 17 I started getting tired of the shitty medicine and stopped taking it. I had rebound psychosis and was put on zyprexa for about a month. Quit that and haven't taken antipsychotics since then. Antipsychotics are awful and are generally never needed for what people get prescribed them for. Psychiatrists push them like crack anyway though.

One thing that may possibly help the process of the antipsychotics leaving your body is by working out. It'll help boost your metabolism and possibly assist in unblocking your receptors but don't quote me on this.

It has officially been two months since I stopped taking the prolixin and still no improvement...

Serotonin dude, not "seratonin". You say you stopped taking the antipsychotics two months ago, but were you given an implant that releases it slowly over time? I know that when I was forced to take antipsychotics due to a manic episode I was given several implants that took a month to degrade, and even after cessation of the antipsychotics I didn't bounce back from the tired, depressed stupor that they caused for six months or so, so hang in there. Can I ask why you were prescribed them in the first place?

I'm a girl not a dude lol But anyway, thanks for your reply. The antipsychotic injections I received were supposed to only last for two weeks at a time. That time is well up. I understand your experience of feeling the antipsychotics for a long time after cessation. I'm not even on them but I might as well be. I still feel exactly the same. Whatever your condition, these meds are not worth taking and I will never take them again. I know other people who take them and they are no better off...

Anon456, for the sake of your own health I would recommend that you abstain from all drug use and psychoactive substances like nicotine or caffeine or even cannabis until you feel fully recovered and back to your normal self. If drugs do not offer you any comfort then I see no point in using as they will only slow down recovery or even cause more harm/confusion.

I think you made a very wise decision to quite anti-psychs. I know far too many people who's lives have been harmed by something supposed to help. I don't know anyone who reported positive first hand experience with anti-psychs. Only positive thing I've heard came from a psychologist who worked at a psych ward and said that some of her patients would thank her years later... but most the people she worked with were there from meth induced psychosis...

Personally I think the brain is only harmed by prescription drugs. Things that I see as healing are things like eating raw foods and getting proper nutrition and vitamins, getting proper exercise/work out, being in positive and healthy personal relationships with good people, being in a stress-free(or low stress) environment. Those are things that have created undeniable positive change in my life when I do them. Everything else IMO is up for debate.

Taking a drug for a mental/emotional problem seems like putting a band-aid on a flesh wound that requires surgery. It might partially cover it up but this only allows it to fester and get infected mostly unnoticed. Then when we go to take the band-aid off, or stop drug use, it becomes undeniably obvious that damage has been done. I would urge you to hold strong on your decision to stop usage, as well as find someone in person that can relate and offer some sort of support. Even if it is just someone who can share and relate to your crazy experience on them, that sort of thing seems to always help me.

Also, natural stimulation like music, art, and reading seem to be the basis of my sanity a lot of times. Hope you the best on your path of recovery, hang in there and it will get better.