• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Ultram ER

slowdive

Bluelighter
I'm out of tramadol for a few days (happens almost monthly) and my friend was able to give me some extended release tramadol. 200mg.

Do you know the rate and amount of tramadol released at a time if the tablet is swallowed whole? Would 50mg be released every 6 hours? I am just very curious about this. The only thing I could find myself is that peak levels occur later with the ER than IR. By a few hours. Would taking half a tablet yield 100mg? Can the controlled release be voided by simply breaking the tablet in half? I really don't want to crush this thing up. I understand it is a little difficult to control your dosage with ER preparations.

Don't worry about me. I could handle 200mg at once. 200-250mg is daily dose. has been for quite some time now. I use the beloved 50mg IR.

Most controlled release tablets are designed for 8-12 hour duration. Of course this number is affected by many variables, including stomach contents, pH, etc.

Since you've got the 200mg tablets, it would be safe to say that 100mg would be released every 4-6 hours, or, in other words, 50mg would be released every 2-3 hours...at least in theory. It depends on the formulation of the tablet.

I've used the 200mg XRs before and they were quite smooth, so (at least in my experience) it was probably closer to the 50mg every 2-3 hours thing. Since your daily dosage is 200-250mg, I see no danger in taking one of the 200mg XR tablets (not crushing it or chewing it, just swallow it whole) and seeing how your body reacts.

Thank you for the response.
I took them whole. It only took 1 a day to keep pain, and withdrawal away. However, there is quite a delay in withdrawal relief after initial ingestion. I would swallow at 6am and feel very little relief by 7:00. I'm guessing 50mg is released at this point? That definitely wouldn't be enough to mitigate withdrawal. Around 9:30, withdrawal began to let up and I started to feel quite well. The rest of the day, smooth sailing. ER was quite enjoyable, even with that delay in w/d relief. Every day, the ER seemed to release at the same rates.

Back on the IR now. So, dosing is a bit different. 125mg in morning and then 50mg re-doses throughout the day. :D Wouldn't mind asking my doctor about the ER, though.

Hey slowdrive!
I to am a big fan of tramadol and have had them all, instant releasers and slow releasers now the latter being my fave! I've been on them for months, every slow releaser imanginable zydol tramquel and the very best maxitram (tramadol hard).
They don't really work the way you think, there not releasing a certain amount intermittently there constantly releasing a steady amount round the clock for chronic pain relieaf. The effects come on between 1/1/2 to 2 hours and stay with you for twelve hours. From the point of kicking in the amount being released is gradually increased reaching its peak 6 hours later (the half way mark) which is when you'll feel at your best, after which the amount being released slowly diminishes to the twelve hour point. In short there super stuff but be carefull mate cos the tollerance builds fast, i went from 100mg on getting up to 1400mg in two months, i now take the otc antihistamine benadryl to potentiate it which seems to work well for me.

Drewboy, that makes sense.

Tolerance with tramadol has been an issue for me, but not a big problem. In 2003, I started with 25mg! Now it's 2011 and I'm at 200-250mg.

When I first started in '03 I was only using once or twice a week. A year later (mid 2004) I started using everyday. Became dependent around that time as well.

Still using daily. Sometimes I will have to go without for a few days before refill is allowed or follow-up appointment to get new rx. Run out early sometimes.

On maxitram 100mg x 2 a day for chronic pain any effects I need to watch out for?