• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

UK - Why have student drug users become so reckless?

edgarshade

Bluelighter
Guardian

Will Coldwell
Tuesday 3 April 2012 10.11 BST

With reader comments

Recreational drugs have mutated from mood-enhancing to bladder-destroying. And no one seems to care

Walking across campus, I spot someone I know: he's standing alone in pyjama bottoms, a can of cider in his hand. We exchange pleasantries. I discover my fellow student hasn't slept all night – he spent it at home smoking crack.

There's little doubt that a disconcerting new line has been crossed by students out "getting messy". For example, a mate who awoke from his ketamised slumber to discover he had soiled himself in his bed. Or the friend coughed up blood after bombing (ingesting) too much of a "mystery" powder. Or the guy we knew who managed to have a heart attack at 25 after snorting five grams of coke.

I am a strong supporter of Prof David Nutt's view that alcohol is more dangerous than most recreational drugs. My concern is not that people are taking drugs, but that students appear to be losing all sense of what is recreational and reversible, and what is downright dangerous.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/mortarboard/2012/apr/03/student-drug-users-become-reckless

I've seen someone's face go grey from snorting half an 8 ball in one line.

Some people just have very little self control. That shouldn't ruin it for the rest of us.

Guardian said:
Why have student drug users become so reckless?
if there has been an increase in hard partying (the article merely shows evidence that people are using legal highs, not that abuse in particular has increased), it is in part, due to your greedy journalism. fucking assaholics, still turning out greedy journalism as if you care about this.