Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

UK - Truckers driving on Class A drugs to 'relieve boredom'

edgarshade

Bluelighter
BBC News

1 April 2012 Last updated at 05:01
By Adrian Goldberg

A culture of Class A drug taking is common among some drivers working in the UK road haulage business, say industry insiders. Truck drivers are resorting to cocaine, speed and ecstasy to help keep themselves awake on long journeys. Drug testing firms say to have 10% of drivers in an haulage firm test positive for drugs was "not unusual". Road safety minister Mike Penning insists Britain's roads are among the safest in the world. One lorry driver speaking to the BBC's 5 live Investigates programme, who works for a major international haulage company, claims he regularly sees drivers use ecstasy, cannabis, speed and cocaine to relieve the boredom of lengthy shifts.

More...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17563574

Julie Willis's 23-year-old daughter Louise Cooper was killed by lorry driver Lee Baker in 2008 - he admitted smoking cannabis the previous afternoon and was driving at 60mph in fog when he crashed into Miss Cooper at the roadside.

Traces of cannabis were found in Mr Baker's lorry.

It's the fog that caused the crash, not the cannabis...

I Was thinking the exact same thing ColtDan. Why would you wanna drive something like that on E? of all the drugs lmao.

The UK media is just picking up on this now? Truckers in the United States have been driving on Dexedrine and crystal meth for decades, and I'm sure some drive on coke if they're into that and they probably use the legal RC stimulants like bath salts/MDPV, etc. too. I'm sure it's been this way in the UK and other parts of Europe too.

I Was thinking the exact same thing ColtDan. Why would you wanna drive something like that on E? of all the drugs lmao.
some people treat it like any recreational stimulant, after developing a hefty tolerance.

its prohibition prevents the necessary harm reduction information from reaching the users.