• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

UK - The Guardian view on cannabis and psychosis: how do we protect teenagers?

poledriver

Bluelighter
The Guardian view on cannabis and psychosis: how do we protect teenagers? - Editorial

The call for a public health campaign around the dangers of teenage cannabis use should be heard

Drugs policy in the UK is not actually made in smoke-filled rooms but it might as well be. The mixture of befuddled optimism with a lack of urgency that characterises official thinking about cannabis has had dangerous results. Getting on for 50 years of prohibition, vigorously defended in principle but lackadaisically enforced in practice, have produced a situation that combines the disadvantages of tolerance and criminalisation.

Two generations of parents now know that it is not as dangerous as official propaganda told them, but this leads to a reluctance to admit that the habit has any real dangers at all. That in itself is dangerous to their children. At the moment, smoking weed is a socially sanctioned form of crime, and widely understood as victimless (as it most often is), just as driving drunk was 60 years ago. But in fact the risks of heavy teenage cannabis consumption should frighten all of us.

There are more than 13,000 under-18s in treatment for the consequences of heavy cannabis use in England, and the largest age group among them are 15-to-16-year-olds. This suggests very widespread consumption among younger teenagers in some parts of the country, since problems don’t normally develop until after smoking large quantities of powerful weed. The problems that can arise from such abuse are devastating.

Psychotic breakdowns smash up lives and can lead to full-blown schizophrenia. This is a small risk of a dreadful outcome, something well worth a proper public health campaign. Absolute proof that cannabis can drive a minority of users mad can’t be obtained for ethical reasons. But the evidence we have is compelling enough to justify a proper public education programme of sufficient power to get the message out to vulnerable users and their friends and peers.

Neither those in favour of real prohibition nor those in favour of legalisation and control want teenagers and especially young teenagers smoking. In that age group it is already causing far more problems than alcohol. The question is how to diminish this harm. Muddling on as we are is clearly not going to work. Attempts to enforce prohibition are both unrealistic and unaffordable.

Legalising such a dangerous substance is not a panacea either but it must be the least worst solution. Such a measure could be defended only if it diminished the harm to vulnerable teenagers. It is during the years when the brain is growing and being rewired that some unlucky young people are most vulnerable to the damaging effects of strong cannabis.

One of the effects of prohibition has been to drive up the THC content and thus the potency of what’s on sale, because this is maximises the ratio of profit to risk. Whether that is what consumers would choose if they could is another question. It’s not entirely fanciful to suppose that legal cannabis, intelligently taxed, would tend to be less powerful than much of what is on the market now, just as most of the drink sold in Britain is not spirits.

It might seem paradoxical to claim that the increasing evidence of the danger of cannabis to some users is an argument for legalisation. But an open and regulated market is easier to control than one whose existence cannot be officially sanctioned. That argument will take years to win. In the meantime, a public health campaign, aimed squarely at vulnerable teenagers, should be an urgent policy priority.

With comments -

http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-how-do-we-protect-teenagers?CMP=share_btn_tw

Just supervise your children and raise them to have a healthy respect for drugs and alcohol.

When I was a kid I was too busy with school and sport to develop a heavy drug habit. From time to time we'd smoke weed or share a six pack at a party, but the fear of letting my parents down prevented me from becoming the worse of what this article fears.

Unfortunately it is the most vulnerable kids from homes who fail to set boundaries or who are never raised to put a value on their education or future past this coming weekend who are at the greatest risk. I had many friends who fought with their parents and eventually spent every day high as fuck down at the beach. School was but a passing thought and almost all of them regret diving as deeply into drug use at such a young age.

Legalising weed doesn't mean you let your kids run wild, just as owning a car doesn't mean you let them drive unsupervised until they hold a licence.

At least 10,000 of those children are likely in their because their parents misconstrued their anger, teenage angst, and frustration as "drug problems"
My rents did the same god damn thing when I was 16 and threatened to send me to rehab after draining my bank account, saying either I quit and get the money I earned back, or I go to rehab and get it back, or I do neither and lose it.
Some people treat marijuana like it's evil incarnate, it fucking baffles me to no end.

Prohibition has been shown to be at best ineffective at reducing drug consumption, and at worst escalating the harm caused by drugs.

The prohibition approach to cannabis has created the far deadlier dangers of synthetic cannabinoids, to which youngsters have very easy access.

This has now eclipsed any of the perceived problems of cannabis and requires more urgent attention.

At least 10,000 of those children are likely in their because their parents misconstrued their anger, teenage angst, and frustration as "drug problems"
My rents did the same god damn thing when I was 16 and threatened to send me to rehab after draining my bank account, saying either I quit and get the money I earned back, or I go to rehab and get it back, or I do neither and lose it.
Some people treat marijuana like it's evil incarnate, it fucking baffles me to no end.

true there are a lot of loving, well-meaning parents who conflate parenting with the notion that their child is their possession. I also don't see deadbeat parents being fixed anytime soon, we do after all live in a society that exalts the fairy tale of infinite growth, which requires an unlimited pool of selfish desire to sustain.

Capitalism is starting to cannibalize itself at an accelerated rate, valuations are stalling because there's no more blood to squeeze from the stone that the undercaste has turned into. Instead of new wealth we are left with social debts. Is this just the shame of our times, or the shame of all humanity?

I say it doesnt matter because we already deal with this problem... "bringe drinking and how do we protect our kids" "gambling and how do we protect our kids" What exactly do they think will change though? Its not going to change the fundamentals of parenting and coexisting in a family structure so really things will progress as normal. Either you do nothing and let them smoke, teach your kids smoking marijuana is bad (which i think should be normal, not like its evil and to be avoided but rather its a road block that can stop your progress) or you avoid the issue entirely and take an over zealous approach... neither of those are changed by laws.

My parents never let me drink or smoke weed i still did but i would get punished if caught however, the punishment fit the crime. I personally think the constant "attempting to out wit my parents" was part of why i am good at solving practical problems both are a thinking persons game. I greatly respect the way my parents did it, being old hippies themselves and hearing the stories now as an adult others would probably say hypocritical but it wasnt. It only would have been hypocritical if the punishment was too server.

People need to do 2 things; First realize that raising children is an individual effort and should not be the focal reason legislation for progression does not pass. And 2 teenagers are not some kind of wounded animal that needs to be protected from the on slough of tough decisions made on a daily basis. They need to grow into rational intelligent adults with realistic view points and expectations of the future/society these come from direct experiences in the world, not by sheltering them and telling them its dangerous out there.

I still say it is much more imperative that parents warn their children of the much greater dangers of artificial cannabinoids.
They are 1000 times more dangerous than weed in every way, cheap and very widely available.
This is a far more urgent and a much more serious problem than weed, which is devastating families all over the world on an entirely different scale to the problems of cannabis.

I still say it is much more imperative that parents warn their children of the much greater dangers of artificial cannabinoids.
They are 1000 times more dangerous than weed in every way, cheap and very widely available.
This is a far more urgent and a much more serious problem than weed, which is devastating families all over the world on an entirely different scale to the problems of cannabis.

So true. Many use spice due to fear of using illegal cannabis. I'd much rather find out my kids were using cannabis than spice.

I didn't notice anything in the Guardian's article to remind readers that cannabis use has never been proven to cause psychosis.
In fact, this recent review study makes it look like psychosis causes cannabis use.

So true. Many use spice due to fear of using illegal cannabis. I'd much rather find out my kids were using cannabis than spice.
Or alcohol. Way better to smoke weed.

I didn't notice anything in the Guardian's article to remind readers that cannabis use has never been proven to cause psychosis.
In fact, this recent review study makes it look like psychosis causes cannabis use.

Or alcohol. Way better to smoke weed.

So true, the article demonizes one of the safest drugs in the world, whilst ignoring much worse threats such as alcohol, tobacco and a whole range of other legal and illegal substances with scientifically proven harm.

I don't understand why the article fails to mention that cannabis has proven medical benefits, which is why medical cannabis is in widespread use (especially in the USA) for a massive number of ailments, including mental health problems.

Why focus on something relatively benign when young people are facing much greater danger from alcohol, for example?
Over a third of young adults drink far more than the maximum recommended guidelines every day, and there are annually over 10,000 alcohol-related hospital admissions per year for juveniles under the age of 17.

That is clearly a massive problem, why is the Guardian not reporting about this instead?