• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

UK - Revealed: types and quantities of drugs seized by police at UK music festivals

edgarshade

Bluelighter
Guardian

Ben Quinn and John Burn-Murdoch
guardian.co.uk, Monday 21 May 2012 00.00 BST

With reader comments

Figures obtained under the Freedom of Information Act provide a unique insight into changing patterns of drug use at British music festivals.

On the Isle of Wight it's been largely about cocaine and ecstasy, at Glastonbury the hauls of Ketamine have been creeping up, while the drug of choice for heavy metal fans would seem to be Jack Daniels and other booze.

As a tens of thousands of young (and not so young) music fans await another festival season, new figures based on police activities at 10 major festivals over the past four years provide an insight into the range and scale of drugs seized.

They show that seizures of popular drugs such as cannabis and ecastasy have been in decline, possibly due factors such as changing behaviour, demographics and policing priorities.

More...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/may/21/music-festivals-drugs?newsfeed=true

Also
Drugs seized at UK music festivals, 2008-2011: get the data

After peaking in 2009, seizures of drugs at UK music festivals have fallen rapidly. Find out where the figures came from and explore the data in full.
Quantities of drugs seized at music festivals across the UK have declined significantly over the last three years, according to figures released under the Freedom of Information Act.

The data, which covers festivals taking place over four years - from 2008 to 2011 - shows drug confiscations peaking in 2009 but falling away rapidly in the years since. Between 2009 and 2011 seizures of cannabis, cocaine and ecstasy all fell by over 65% and the total for all substances dropped by a similar margin - from £288,420 to £101682. The chart below shows trends in the total street values of all drugs seized at each festival. It is worth noting that the Leeds and Wireless festivals were privately stewarded.
More...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/may/21/festival-drugs-data

I've never been to a single metal gig without a large proportion of the crowd speeding out of their mind.
Though the alcohol is a given....

Haha looking at the the chart of drugs seized, guess what the most was? Piperazines lol

Either people aren't searching for the drugs as hard, or people have got a lot better at hiding them. No way have people just stopped bringing chemicals in...

Ha my 15 year old non drug using Sister got drug searched at bestival last year and they took her away because they found my other sister period pain tablets in her bag!

they treated her like a dick and were well harsh to her...

fucking ridiculous security there.

As for different drugs getting found more i'd expect someone on amphet to be more on the ball with not getting caught. Also Shambala festival was full of ketamine and k heads 2010 and 2011.

Boomtown 2010 apparently security were told to not do anything to people doing drugs, i was there... in a complete state! got lost on acid and ketamine for 3 days.

US festivals sometimes outsource security when the event is on private land and they intentionally disregard personal drug use. If you are making a lot of money on their turf - well that's a different situation