• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

UK - Pope Francis Condemns Drug Legalisation: British Policy Expert Slams 'Confused'

edgarshade

Bluelighter
Hufffington Post

Charlotte Meredith
Posted: 20/06/2014 16:12 BST

Pope Francis has come under severe criticism after he denounced the legalisation of recreational drugs. The pontiff waded into the debate over the war on drugs – which is raging from the US to Uruguay and beyond – at a drug-enforcement conference meeting in Rome on Friday, arguing that even limited attempts to legalise recreational drugs "are not only highly questionable from a legislative standpoint, but they fail to produce the desired effects. Drug addiction is an evil, and with evil there can be no yielding or compromise," he said.

But one of the drug policy experts, who advised the Uruguayan government on its landmark decision to become the first country in the world to make the production, sale and possession of cannabis legal, told The Huffington Post UK the Pope's argument is "confused."

Rolles previously told HuffPost that the battle in the UK is now to try and change the more "old school" political attitude towards cannabis and the steadfast idea that "drugs are bad". Nearly a century ago cannabis, along with other drugs, was identified as "evil, a threat to be fought in a winnable war that would completely eradicate the non-medical use of these substances," Transform said in their Practical Guide on how to regulate cannabis. The experience of the past 50 years demonstrates that prohibitionist policies have not, and cannot, achieve their stated aims."

More...
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/06/20/pope-francis-drug-legalis_n_5515094.html

You know what's evil Pope.. demonizing, incarcerating, and ruining millions of peoples lives.

"Either the Government regulates the market or we leave it with the gangsters - there’s no third option where it can be magically wished away, even by the Pope."

QFT..

pi·ous adjective \ˈpī-əs\

: deeply religious : devoted to a particular religion

: falsely appearing to be good or moral

Amazingly powerful definition right there >source<

Vatican Money Laundering

Vatican cleric Scarano charged with money-laundering

Wonder why the vatican does not want the drugs legal.. could it be that they make a fortune from laundering the money made from them. .

Last edited:
Just for a laugh, here's the Daily Mail version. I've noticed recently the the comments start off sensible but rapidly swing after a few hours to be rabidly prohibitionist. The initially best-rated comments get red-arrowed into the floor and replaced with cheesy top-rated comments. This didn't used to happen. It may be the DM astroturfing, some pro-prohibition groups may be actively campaigning in the comment sections.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...eet-immigrants-clearing-favourite-church.html

Top rated comments
Blank, Ruthin, United Kingdom, 14 hours ago
I am extremely glad he has spoken up, its about time someone did, they cause misery worldwide.

Pam, London, United Kingdom, 12 hours ago
I agree and I must say I think this Pope is amazing!

Smujsmith, Pig-atop-the-hill, United Kingdom, 9 hours ago
Good on you vicar, I'm not religious myself, just hate the dopers and sellers who turn our children in to zombies with no future. At least someone is prepared to stand against the sell out politicians who roll over to drug abuse.

Worst rated (initially highest rated when the story broke)
Kat30, Berkshire, United Kingdom, 14 hours ago
I thought church was meant to be a sanctuary to the poor, suffering etc? Absolutely disgusting. The catholic church makes me sick.

LostNot, New Hope PA USA, 15 hours ago
He is against any Drugs that are not the Catholic Church, because that would put him out of a job. Was liking the man, but he blew just it. He & his followers should stick with the kindness to others. Because what we do with our own bodies is none of his business.

The church doesn't want the competition; if religion is no longer the "opium of the masses", it will be replaced by something else, (such as drugs) making them more irrelevant than ever, and unable to collect the billions in donations, and bequests that they have been over the centuries, and are now unable to even issue "Papal dispensations" to sinners deluding themselves that they can buy there way into "heaven" (the concept of an afterlife first began in ancient Egypt, and was "appropriated" by the Jews, along with the story of the flood, which actually referred to the flood plain between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers, far from Israel, and Judea).

They desperately want to cling to their positions of privilege and prestige, so now feel threatened.

Since we are talking about a Catholic Pope, I'm willing to stake an arm and a leg that Jesus Christ would not be happy with the Pope.

Jesus taught tolerance for others. He accepted and ate at His table with a prostitute when the spiritual leaders at the time wanted her stoned to death.

Jesus said to love one another, yet this message from the Pope has an undertone of hatred towards the controlled substance using minority.

The Pope may partake in consumption of tobacco, and also in that of alcohol (wine), but oh dear, anything else is clearly wrong.

Not once are mind-altering substances (other than alcohol) mentioned in the Bible. Yet this putz thinks he's got all the answers?

Do me a favor Pope Francis and rid us of your hypocrisy.

They are obviously altering the comment ratings, that is just sad. I bet a few tobacco/alcohol executives burned him with cigarettes and splashed liquor on his self-flagellation wounds before he made this comment.

Moral values? What about all of those pedophile priests, popes, nuns, and "saints" in the Roman Catholic church that get a slap on the wrist and then instead of being put into prison wind up just being transferred to another church, or get "rehabilitated" and then go on to abuse more?

There's a lot of revisionist history but the Roman Catholic church did support the Holocaust in Germany, helped Nazis escape to other countries, and also supported the genocide in both Bosnia and Croatia during world war II.

Francis also supported the genocide of Argentine people in the 1970s. He lived in Argentina but he is really from Southern Italy as this is pretty obvious; but he was just born in a very southern region of Italy, and then his parents moved to Argentina the way lots of Italian people did.

Becoming canonized as a saint is nothing special. All it means is that someone donated a lot of money to the Vatican, as if they actually need more money.

Hash and cannabis will probably become legalized in Italy; but not thanks to the church.

The pope recently went to Calabria to a city which is technically a diocese, and claimed to "excommunicate" members of the Italian mafias (Sicilian, Cammora, 'Ndragheta, and Sacra Corona Unita).

But this is just a PR move. He's biting the hand that feeds him as those Southern Italian businesses and businessmen did make large donations to the Vatican, and many have branched out into things that are completely legal.

The pope himself should know that in order to "excommunicate" someone you need to name them publically. That's not going to happen with people involved in la famiglia in Italy or in other countries. La famiglia has been around for a very long time and that's not going to change anytime soon. It's not as though people involved in that business or line of work run around telling everyone what they do, or hold up signs.

The parents of the boy that was killed in that city in Calabria were drug dealers, and got involved with something they should not have; but it was their choice to do this. It's a shame that the kid died; but what happened to personal responsibility and keeping your children and/or family safe? Drug dealing or being involved with something illegal, and being killed in certain regions and/or cities in Italy is common and the parents had to know that something like this would happen. It's akin to someone dealing drugs in Mexico or another central American country and then wondering why a cartel or violent gang members take action.

I personally do not use drugs including legal ones like alcohol, or illegal ones like cannabis or others but I do not care if other people make the decision to use them.

I called it.

http://www.vox.com/2014/6/23/5834038/no-pope-francis-did-not-officially-excommunicate-the-mafia

But Francis' critique of the mafia should not be seen as an official excommunication, according to Chad Pecknold, an assistant professor of theology at Catholic University of America. In Roman Catholicism, an official excommunication is a strict censure that deprives the excommunicated of fellowship with the rest of the Church body. When a Church member is excommunicated, she is not allowed to take communion. Excommunication, though severe, is not irreversible. According to Canon Law, the censure is "medicinal," meaning it's given to a Catholic in the hopes of urging him to repentance.

As Pecknold explained it to me, the Pope's comment was "just something he said in a homily — which is not a vehicle for disciplinary pronouncements." Further, excommunication is "only for individuals," and not entire organizations. Rather, said Pecknold, what Francis was doing was simply describing the "self-excommunication" the 'Ndrangheta is already experiencing because of their "serious sin."

Yeah as if people involved in various mafias in Italy actually care about what the current papa thinks about them, or think what they've been doing for a long time is "sin". roflmao 8)

A lot of the people who are killed by the mafias in Italy or in other places are involved in very dangerous things drugs, arms dealing, etc. and are foolish and put they and their entire families at risk of being killed; but they know this, know the risk and do it anyway, and pay the price.

Many believe myths like, "They are no longer around.", "They're weak.", "It's not like the 50s, 60s, 70s or 80s" or my favorite "The books are closed, and have been for decades. You must be FULLY ITALIAN TO JOIN!"

Last edited:
Regarding his two previous posts in this thread.

You see? This is exactly why I consider Bluelight to be such an amazing repository of information on all virtually all things relating to mind-altering substances - whether directly or indirectly.

It's the Reddit of drug use with a fundamental focus on harm reduction. At least, that's what comes to mind.

The reason for that is because of educational contributions from people like PriestTheyCalledHim - nicely formatted with references and links.

As an example - I knew about Pope Francis being considered controversial in that he's wanting to unite the different denominations. And I've known about the allegations of pedophiles within their ranks, which is sick, saddening, and shocking when you consider that they are usually looked up to as examples of "good" human beings, even by people who are not Christians, and/or who may not agree with their views on our origins, however, regard them (or regarded them) as trustworthy and safe to leave their children around. Oh how betrayed many of them must have felt?

What I did not know about was that the Roman Catholic Church supported The Holocaust, nor that they helped Nazis to escape to other nations. For me, this revelation is very unsettling, but I digress.

As time has passed, I have come to see harm reduction as extremely important in anyone's life - especially the "street" drug-using minority. And it has surely played a vitally important role in saving my life on numerous occasions, as well as helping to save the lives of two close friends.

The fact that it's not recognized as a medically viable means of saving lives continues to frustrate us, as it has been proven on countless occasions to reduce risks associated with consuming mind-altering substances. And it has also indirectly helped to recognize when various prohibitionist organizations and/or individuals are deliberately misleading the public in order to gain their support against drug reform - most likely because they stand to lose a lot of money if it comes to pass.

As a result, I see Bluelight as not just providing Harm Reduction-based tools/tips/guidance for drug use, but also Harm Reduction from the media, bureaucrats/politicians, elites/lobbyists, ourselves (such as trip reports and experience), religion, history, and much more. And as much as it sounds like I may be brown-nosing, the truth is that my knowledge of these things has increased dramatically from this absolute gem of a website alone. And I feel much more informed, confident, and most importantly safer for it.

I should design a Bluelight logo and get a tattoo. How's that for brown-nosing =D

Last edited:
You know what's evil Pope.. demonizing, incarcerating, and ruining millions of peoples lives.

QFT..

pi·ous adjective \ˈpī-əs\

: deeply religious : devoted to a particular religion

: falsely appearing to be good or moral

Amazingly powerful definition right there >source<

Vatican Money Laundering

Vatican cleric Scarano charged with money-laundering

Wonder why the vatican does not want the drugs legal.. could it be that they make a fortune from laundering the money made from them. .

Neversick and Ro4ever, here's something you might enjoy reading or researching about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banco_Ambrosiano

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberto_Calvi

fuck the catholic church. i went to a catholic middle school for a few months on a football scholarship before getting thrown out (coincidently just after football season) and it was a bunch of white devil motherfuckers.