Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

UK - Mike Oldfield: 'We wouldn't have had Tubular Bells without drugs'

edgarshade

Bluelighter
Guardian

Paul Lester
Thursday 20 March 2014 13.47 GMT

With reader comments

The godfather of ambient chillout on hiding from Dizzee Rascal, being a middle-aged raver in Ibiza and his proudest moment – getting a Blue Peter badge

How much do you remember of your LSD trips?
Gawd, quite a lot. They were very, very scary. I think it's better to go the new age route, where you raise consciousness through chanting and meditation, rather than take drugs. Having said that, we wouldn't have all those beautiful tracks like Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds, and we probably wouldn't have Tubular Bells – a lot of things, really – without drugs.

When was your last trip?
Back in the 60s, I think. It's a life-changing thing. You're never the same afterwards. I was in such a state of confusion, insecurity and paranoia that I had to go through the Exegesis rebirthing experience to get all that out of my system. It was like going on a military boot camp for four days. It was excruciating.

You've lived in Switzerland, Monaco, Mallorca and, in the 90s, Ibiza. Did you cane it in the latter?
Yes! Because of my bad experiences in the 60s and 70s, I missed out on my teenage-hood. So I decided to have it in Ibiza, in my 40s.

What did it involve?
I'm not going into that in a family newspaper. What teenagers get up to is private – they don't tell their parents. But I got it out of my system.

Did you go raving?
Oh yeah – my favourite was Pacha. I got very into the craft of the DJ and headed straight for the DJ's booth. I'd spend the evening in there and they'd let me fiddle and spin a few discs.

Did you ever overhear people, pointing at you, saying, "Isn't that bloke in the DJ booth Mike Oldfield?"
What? You can't talk in Pacha!

OK – did you ever lip-read them gasping, "Isn't that Mike Oldfield E'd off his nut dancing to happy house and hardcore techno?"

No. I might have been recognised in mainland Spain, but for some reason in Ibiza nobody really pays any attention to you. There's something in the water there, though, that makes you go a bit loopy. It was wild. Great for a period, but you want to get out eventually.

More...
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/mar/20/mike-oldfield-interview-tubular-bells-drugs

Ha! (@ the headline) - no shit!

And if it werent for "Tubular Bells", Richard Branson may never have become the massive business whore he is.
But more importantly "Never Mind the Bollocks" (a much more accomplished musical composition, no?) might never have been released.

Drugs. Where would we be without 'em?