Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

UK - Leaked paper reveals UN split over war on drugs

edgarshade

Bluelighter
Guardian

Jamie Doward
Saturday 30 November 2013 19.50 GMT

With reader comments

Latin American nations call for treatment strategy, claiming UN's prohibition stance plays into hands of paramilitary groups.

Major international divisions over the global "war on drugs" have been revealed in a leaked draft of a UN document setting out the organisation's long-term strategy for combating illicit narcotics.

The draft, written in September and seen by the Observer, shows there are serious and entrenched divisions over the longstanding US-led policy promoting prohibition as an exclusive solution to the problem.

Instead, a number of countries are pushing for the "war on drugs" to be seen in a different light, which places greater emphasis on treating drug consumption as a public health problem, rather than a criminal justice matter.

It is rare for such a document to leak. Normally only the final agreed version is published once all differences between UN member states have been removed.

The divisions highlighted in the draft are potentially important. The document will form the basis of a joint "high-level" statement on drugs to be published in the spring, setting out the UN's thinking. This will then pave the way for a general assembly review, an event that occurs every 10 years, and, in 2016, will confirm the UN's position for the next decade. "The idea that there is a global consensus on drugs policy is fake," said Damon Barrett, deputy director of the charity Harm Reduction International. "The differences have been there for a long time, but you rarely get to see them. It all gets whittled down to the lowest common denominator, when all you see is agreement. But it's interesting to see now what they are arguing about."

More...
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/nov/30/un-drugs-policy-split-leaked-paper

Instead, a number of countries are pushing for the "war on drugs" to be seen in a different light, which places greater emphasis on treating drug consumption as a public health problem

Drugs is not a public health problem. It's a public health solution.

It's demented how the alcohol and tobacco industries have influenced the United States to abuse the United Nations in order to use the country's leverage so that they can dominate the entire planet's legal drug market since the 1961 Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs.

The biggest hurdle is the addiction to the profits of the drug industry. The bankers who launder the money, the sales of vehicles, precursors, services for drug cartels to the bottom end police who seize houses and cars. People don't want to give up their revenue streams.

Looks like things could be moving forward in the war on drugs.

Would have been interesting to see what the us had said. Or what countries who are against legalization/remformation had said.

I think countries that export drugs via organized crime probably experience a whole nother side to this fight then we do.
Lets hope there cries for help aren't ignored.

There is so much to gain threw legal drugs and freedom placed in the peoples hands.

The time is right for a big overhaul of the Single Convention.

Right tolerance to others views, lifestyles, and opinions is where its at.. controlling intolerant people are the pits of humanity.

All you guys thinking the war on drugs will ever end are living in a dream land. If ANYTHING the war on drugs will INCREASE even more in the future. Probably to a point where police officers will just straight up execute anyone caught with drugs or have them even in their blood stream. All the globalist (powers that be) want population to be reduced and that'll probably just be one of MANY ways they will do it.. just like climate change nonsense - just another tool to be used to reduce standard of living which in turn leads to reduced life expectancy. War on drugs is nothing more then a WAR ON PEOPLE. THEY WILL NEVER EVER EVER EVER stop it!

sorry to be so gloomy but sometimes you gotta just live in reality.

And this is ONE (not the only) of the biggest reasons they will never end it:
"The biggest hurdle is the addiction to the profits of the drug industry. The bankers who launder the money, the sales of vehicles, precursors, services for drug cartels to the bottom end police who seize houses and cars. People don't want to give up their revenue streams."

Last edited:
You could make just as many profits off legal drugs fuck the police and their reposesing asses. Bankers could just deal with legal tender its all the same.

Prison systems would crumble down to the bare needs not thrive on inocent lives.
I couldnt really careless for the fat cats banking off them.

I see a civil uprising long before what gh0stman mentioned.

Either way I'm fighting to legalize it all for the long haul.

All you guys thinking the war on drugs will ever end are living in a dream land. If ANYTHING the war on drugs will INCREASE even more in the future. Probably to a point where police officers will just straight up execute anyone caught with drugs or have them even in their blood stream. All the globalist (powers that be) want population to be reduced and that'll probably just be one of MANY ways they will do it.. just like climate change nonsense - just another tool to be used to reduce standard of living which in turn leads to reduced life expectancy. War on drugs is nothing more then a WAR ON PEOPLE. THEY WILL NEVER EVER EVER EVER stop it!

I disagree with your hypothesis, however, we shall see soon enough.

Either way I'm fighting to legalize it all for the long haul.

Me too and I am more optimistic than ever. It's just a bunch of prison industry lobbyists we are fighting anyway. It's not globalist bankers I am worried about, its the financial interests of police, prison guards , and other parasites who profit from the war on some drugs. The enemy is not the uber rich, they couldn't care less if you get high. Its the guy who can't get a job anywhere but a prison, and his union, that you should worry about. They pay politicians to put more people in prison. The global elite of bankers and uber rich are not the reason the world has a war on drugs. I am sure they would prefer a cut to their taxes rather high incarceration rates. Don't blame Wall street for the war on drugs.

Who and how on earth did this wonderful document get leaked?

3rdeye I blame Wall Street for snorting all the fucking coke in the world. Greeeeeedy pigs.

Yep. Let's add abortion to their list of depopulation methods. Gee, that's worked hasn't it 8)

The more you demoralize society and try to control something, the more out of control it gets. The violence will only get worse whilst we continue to tolerate this fucking bullshit and hypocrisy.

Looks promising. But no doubt the corrupt bankers, alcohol/tobacco companies and indoctrinated general public won't go down without a massive fight.

Sigh, I fucking hate our shit society.