• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

UK - I would rather my daughters took MDMA than started smoking

Tenchi

Bluelighter
Tim Lott via The Guardian said:
I was sent a press release last week suggesting that in a survey of more than 600 UK parents, 46% cited drugs as their number one parenting fear. I don't know how representative this survey is, but I have not spent a single moment worrying about my children taking drugs (the eldest are 18 and 20). I would rather they didn't, but I suspect this has more to do with my sense of wishing to maintain an aura of innocence around them than any rational argument.

During my own teenage years, I sought out and consumed all the soft drugs I could. I also smoked 20 cigarettes a day and spent a lot of time pissed. And I took LSD, which was wonderful and terrible and gave me mental-health problems later in life. Everything else I long ago left behind me, although I do still smoke occasionally.

I am aware that things have changed since I was a teenager. Legal highs represent a whole new arena of which I know nothing. New strains of skunk are much more powerful than anything in the 70s. Skunk can damage the development of young brains. Ecstasy is still out there, presumably along with cocaine, ketamine, heroin and God knows what else.

But I still don't worry about it. I would rather my elder daughters tried a well-sourced MDMA tablet than started smoking, as smoking is far more of a long-term risk. What worries me is not so much illegal drugs, which, apart from heroin and crack cocaine, seem to cause a relatively low level of harm compared with cigarettes and alcohol. What worries me is addiction.

You can be addicted to many things – order, purity, exercise, fasting, even water. You can be addicted to love, and to rejection. You may also be addicted to drugs, but in most cases it isn't the drugs that are doing it, but some inner void that needs to be filled.

Full Story

I would rather my elder daughters tried a well-sourced MDMA tablet than started smoking
Of course, but it is hardly a fair comparison.
Clean MDMA rarely kills anyone.
Cigarettes kill just about everyone, given enough time.

The proper comparison is booze vs. MDMA, or even booze vs. E=mc2

I don't think most people have psychotropic aims when they reach for a cigarette. In contrast, a lot of young girls have similar motivations when they drink and when they roll.