Recruiting [UK/EU/US/CA - people who use cannabis] Development of the Comprehensive Cannabis Motives Questionnaire (CCMQ) - Final Sample

JohnM95

Greenlighter
Hi everyone, my name is John Moffitt and I am a PhD student at the University of Liverpool.

Bio - https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/population-health/staff/john-moffitt/

I am in the final stages of validating my cannabis motives scale (CCMQ) and I require only a handful more participants for test-retest reliability analysis.

[Added by admin:]
We are looking to recruit volunteers who:
  • Aged 18 years or older.
  • Use cannabis.
  • Can read English.
  • Live in either the UK, European Union, United States of America, or Canada.

Essentially you just complete the questionnaire and it is okay if you have done it before. You can re-enter the prize draw at the end of the questionnaire too.

I massively appreciate all help.

Best wishes

John

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi John, thanks for posting about your work.

I've added more detail about how you are looking for based on the participant info sheet into your post.

I'd appreciate it if you reviewed our guidelines for posting and can update your post with a bit more detail to match the guidelines :)

I've pasted the full information form here for everyone's reference.

Version 1 – September 2022
Ethics Number 11639

Participant information sheet
Motivations for cannabis use.

You are being invited to participate in a research study. Before you decide whether to participate, it is important that you understand why the research is being done and what it will involve. Please take time to read the following information carefully and feel free to ask us if you would like more information or if there is anything that you do not understand. Please also feel free to discuss this with your friends, relatives and GP if you wish. We would like to stress that you do not have to accept this invitation and should only agree to take part if you want to. Thank you for reading this.

What is the purpose of the study?
This study is interested in understanding what are the reasons that people have for consuming cannabis. We hope to use your responses to create a valid questionnaire for other researchers to use. Doing so would assist in understanding the different reasons why people use cannabis and how it contributes to different patterns of use.

Why have I been chosen to take part?
We are looking to recruit volunteers who:
  • Aged 18 years or older.
  • Use cannabis.
  • Can read English.
  • Live in either the UK, European Union, United States of America, or Canada.
If you meet these criteria, then you are eligible to take part in this research.

Do I have to take part?
You must know that you are under no obligation to take part in the research; it is completely your choice. If you do decide to take part you will be able to keep a copy of this information sheet upon request and you will be required to indicate your agreement in the online consent form. In addition, you are free to withdraw from the research at any time during the study without giving any reason or explanation.

What will happen if I take part?
If you decide to take part in this research, you will be asked to complete a brief online survey regarding the use of cannabis. These questions will ask about why you smoke cannabis, how you smoke it and how often you smoke it. The study will take up to 10 minutes. You will not be paid for your involvement. If you wish you will be entered into a prize draw at the end, you will be asked for your email. We will use this to get in contact will the winner.
Depending on where you live these questions ask about your use of controlled drugs, which will involve you revealing criminal behaviour. If you feel that this is a problem, then please do not take part or respond to those questions. As the study is anonymous, we will not be able to pass that information to the police or other agencies.

How will my data be used?
The University processes personal data as part of its research and teaching activities in accordance with the lawful basis of ‘public task’, and in accordance with the University’s purpose of “advancing education, learning and research for the public benefit.
Under UK data protection legislation, the University acts as the Data Controller for personal data collected as part of the University’s research. Dr. Paul Christiansen acts as the Data Processor for this study, and any queries relating to the handling of your personal data can be sent to:
Dr. Paul Christiansen, Department of Psychological Sciences, Room 2.25, Eleanor Rathbone Building, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, L69 7ZA. Email: [email protected]
Further information on how your data will be used can be found in the table below.

Graphic.php

Are there any risks in taking part?
There are no anticipated risks to you if you take part in the study. However, if you are concerned about your drug use, and would like help, we advise you to seek information and advice from your doctor, or from one of the following websites:

www.talktofrank.com
www.drugscope.org.uk
www.drugabuse.gov
www.nimh.nih.gov
www.nih.gov
www.emcdda.europa.eu
www.drugwise.org.uk

Are there any benefits in taking part?
There are no direct benefits of taking part. We hope the study will be enjoyable. We will provide you with information about the study on completion, which you may find interesting. As aforementioned there will be a prize draw. If you wish you will be entered into a prize draw at the end, you will be asked for your email. We will use this to get in contact will the winner.

What will happen to the results of the study?
All the information collected about you during the course of the research will be anonymous and will be kept confidential. Personally identifiable information about you, will not be disclosed to anyone. The overall results of the study will be published in academic journals. Raw data are processed to unidentifiable summary data which are accessible by the investigators only. Processed data is kept in the university repository for 10 years and is accessible upon formal agreement with the principal investigator.

What will happen if I want to stop taking part?
You can stop taking part/withdraw your participation from the study at any time by exiting the survey window. However due to the anonymization process, once you have submitted your responses on the survey they cannot be withdrawn.

What if I am unhappy or if there is a problem?
If you are unhappy, or if there is a problem, please feel free to let us know by contacting Dr. Paul Christiansen ([email protected]) and we will try to help. If you remain unhappy or have a complaint which you feel you cannot come to us with then you should contact the Research Ethics and Integrity Office at [email protected]. When contacting the Research Ethics and Integrity Office, please provide details of the name or description of the study (so that it can be identified), the researcher(s) involved, and the details of the complaint you wish to make.
The University strives to maintain the highest standards of rigour in the processing of your data. However, if you have any concerns about the way in which the University processes your personal data, it is important that you are aware of your right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner's Office by calling 0303 123 1113.

Who can I contact if I have further questions?
If you have any questions then please contact the principal investigator: Dr. Paul Christiansen,
Department of Psychological Sciences, Room 2.25, Eleanor Rathbone Building, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, L69 7ZA
Email: [email protected]