Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

UK - DRUGS INQUIRY: How lives are being ruined by 'party' highs

edgarshade

Bluelighter
Leicester Mercury

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

With reader comments

On the second day of the Leicester Mercury’s investigation into the scale and nature of drug use in the city, crime correspondent Ciaran Fagan looks at the market for so-called ‘legal highs’. They are the so-called 'party' drugs which are ruining lives and leaving police and governments struggling to keep up with the constantly changing underground market.

The chemical-based substances – most prominently mephedrone, or MCAT – became known collectively as legal highs because those who bought or took them were committing no crimes. The market was so dynamic that governments across Europe were continually playing catch up in the race to outlaw them. Users reported a series of unpleasant side effects ranging from psychosis and heart palpitations to burning throats, nose bleeds and insomnia. And one by one, most prominently mephedrone and naphyrone, were banned.

A recent Government report, however, identified 40 or more new substances which appeared in the UK last year. Another, a variant of the horse tranquilliser called methoxetamine, has been linked to the deaths of two people in Leicester and Melton earlier this year.

The Government is currently considering banning it.

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co....-party-highs/story-15506037-detail/story.html

Another, a variant of the horse tranquilliser called methoxetamine, has been linked to the deaths of two people in Leicester and Melton earlier this year

im so sick of seeing that...
Ketamine is not just for horses! its for humans too :D

I like the cannabis poll results so far:
Should possession of cannabis be legalised?

93%Yes
7%No

^ me too. so so so so so just fucking sick of it i want to slap people who say that so fucking much, YOU MORANS! i would be interested to know what other drugs are used in both veterinary and human medicine.

Dr James Treadwell, a criminologist at the University of Leicester, said the variety of substances available and the underground nature of the drugs market meant police and legislators were on the back foot.

"We can't cope with the current range of drugs on the market before you even start talking about legal highs," he said.

Kate Galoppi, who is head of service at the Leicester Drug and Alcohol Action Team, said: "These are very powerful substances and, at this point, we don't have a good enough grasp of this issue and its implications for us.

hmm, the implications seem to be that from whatever angle you look at it, it would be good to stop putting out misinformation and legalise everything.

Last edited:
MCAT is not mephedrone - MCAT is MethCAThinone.

MethylMethCAThinone (Mephedrone) is MMCAT.

I may be being pedantic, but misinformation is more dangerous than the drugs…

…and why does the phrase 'legal high' always have to be prefixed by the condescending 'so-called'?

They are legal and they get you high - hence 'legal high'.

MethylMethcathinone is a drug that hardly has any research into it... that’s the concern.... the side effects short/long term are going to have on the individual.

…and why does the phrase 'legal high' always have to be prefixed by the condescending 'so-called'?

They are legal and they get you high - hence 'legal high'.

Because they see it as such a detestable thing that shouldn't even be allowed. They're trying to steer public opinion in a negative way towards it evidently.