View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

UK - Baby-boomer drug and alcohol warning

edgarshade

Bluelighter
BBC News

27 February 2014

There is a growing problem of drug and alcohol misuse among older people, as "baby-boomers" age, campaigners are warning. A report from the charity DrugScope says more are drinking too much, and alcohol-related hospital admissions and deaths are rising. Drug misuse was also an increasing problem in the age group, it said. DrugScope said policy too often centred on young people and "age-appropriate" help was needed. The oldest of the baby-boomer generation are now reaching old age, and the charity says their attitudes were formed when alcohol was becoming more widely available and socially acceptable. In addition, they tend to have drunk more in middle age than previous generations, establishing worrying patterns for old age.

'New starters'

The European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction has estimated that the number of people aged over 65 needing treatment for drug problems in Europe will double between 2001 and 2020. The DrugScope report says about 1.4 million people aged over 65 exceed recommended drinking limits.

More...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-26353044

Watch out the senior citizens are getting cocked.. this comes as no surprise as the baby boomers are finally realizing they aren't going to live forever and will go out with a bang. Now hopefully we can get rid of some of their insane legal policies.

NSFW:
party-fails-granny-dont-care-partying-before-you-were-born.jpg

Maybe the baby boomers have learned how to not be dependent on their doctors, especially since many of their doctors are cutting them off.

Self medication should be recognized as a human right. That's what it is.

True baby boomers are just now starting to get elderly...we still need another 10 years, about, for them to be 70+ but yea, they are getting there.

Hah, both of my parents are 50's baby boomers and complete teetotalers. Sigh...when they found out I had smoked weed, they actually thought I might have fucked up my life, seriously! AND IT WAS NOTHING ELSE, JUST WEED!

Side story - when I was in high school and just getting into 60's/70's music, I would play this old-school rock (Beatles, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, etc. etc. etc.) around my parents all the time, and they couldn't even recognize the most popular stuff...even though it was from their time periods of being teenagers/20 year old's...it's sad when you have parents from that time period who didn't even know shit about the culture going on around them, just being sober and happy with that. (I'm not saying that my parents aren't awesome but I'm a stoner and they're both squares, and I would much rather have smoked pot in the 60's/70's then today, fuck 20-teens culture, I don't want to go to raves or electronic music festivals...)

Last edited: