Recruiting UCLA Psychedelic Studies Initiative: Survey for Psilocybin Use to Treat Drug Addictions

ConorMurray

Greenlighter
Hi! I'm a neuroscientist at UCLA who's helped form our new Psychedelic Studies Initiative. One thing that we're focusing on is the brain, and how psilocybin might restore brain function related to insight and self-awareness while disrupting maladaptive plasticity in disorders like addiction.

If you're someone who has used psilocybin as a treatment for a substance use related issue, we'd love to hear about it! I've included a link to our survey below. Thank you!

This study has been approved by the UCLA Institutional Review Board - the closing date for final submission is March 1st, 2023

https://uclahs.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0PRWoZw8y8Mvz8O

Last edited:
Hi! I'm a neuroscientist at UCLA who's helped form our new Psychedelic Studies Initiative. One thing that we're focusing on is the brain, and how psilocybin might restore brain function related to insight and self-awareness while disrupting maladaptive plasticity in disorders like addiction.

If you're someone who has used psilocybin as a treatment for a substance use related issue, we'd love to hear about it! I've included a link to our survey below. Thank you!

https://uclahs.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0PRWoZw8y8Mvz8O
Hey there, welcome to BL!

Can you have a wee read through the link below and include a bit more info about the study along with ethics approval. Could you also add in the closing date for final submissions. Thank you!

I go through periods of binges, I find taking mushrooms helps my mind almost reprogram its self to start stopping and get into the correct way of thinking, LSD doesn't. It is weird I always had a good attitude to drugs, dabbled in various drugs and smoked weed virtually every day from 15 to 28, when I stopped tobacco I stopped weed to. Had the odd joint every now and then but seemed to enjoy a whisky more. At 49 lockdown happened out of boredom tried some coke etc (older more financially secure last 12 months probably spent best part of 30k on drugs and the meth makes me horny so another 20k plus on working girls always 2 at a time so they can keep up). Had real issues off & on last 12 months with coke and meth. Meth now stopped as this was the biggest problem for behaviour, now makes me really nauseas if I try, which is good as puts me off also builds up in my prostate and causes real problems after 3 weeks of use.
Every time I did mushrooms micro dosing or a couple of trips in a week it seemed to break that little bit in your brain pushing the addiction. It also made start remembering work related tasks, my brain felt like its old self, which after that cloudy non reality of constantly being high is really nice feeling to get back to, weird how much better everything seems to function in my mind, even though I am still in the winding down process.
My problem is that after a few weeks I have to go through again, maybe should extended the micro dosing for more than a week or 2? I do enjoy drugs but can't seem to be strong enough control so really shouldn't do at all plus as I am my own boss I can get away with more than an employee.
I hope your research found/finds some answers to enable more analysis on how it helps. Wish I could have participated.

I know people using low-dose shrooms instead of benzos and I tried it myself too, weird but it works real fine if you are substituting low doses of benzos. But acid is far better for addiction problems for most people including myself and not as substitution for anything. Analytic properties of acid certainly wont let you rationalize addiction but rather “point in” what caused. Shrooms are more emotional and do me better when I’m in good set aka. not being addict so I can benefit the most from them.