Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

UAMS Researchers Studying Using ADHD Drugs to Treat Addiction

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
UAMS Researchers Studying Using ADHD Drugs to Treat Addiction
08/28/2014

LITTLE ROCK, AR (News release) – A team of University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS) researchers are studying the potential of two drugs used to treat Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) in helping addicts overcome their dependence on methamphetamine.

Michael Mancino, M.D., an associate professor in the UAMS Department of Psychiatry, is the principal investigator on the first of the two-year studies, while Alison Oliveto, Ph.D., a professor in the UAMS Department of Psychiatry, is the principal investigator on the other, both funded by the National Institute on Drug Abuse.

Individuals interested in participating in the studies may call (501) 526-7969 or visit www.methresearch.com.The studies are both clinical trials using drugs approved by the Food and Drug Administration for the treatment of ADHD.

In the first trial, the only one of its kind in the United States, subjects will receive the medication lisdexamfetamine, known commercially as Vyvanse, during a one-week stay at a residential facility. The participants will then receive the drug on an outpatient basis for six weeks and continue to be followed on an outpatient basis for eight weeks after discharge from the residential facility.

In the second trial, subjects will be given the drug atomoxetine, known commercially as Strattera, for two weeks while residing at a residential facility, and then continue to receive the drug for eight weeks as outpatients.

continued http://www.arkansasmatters.com/stor...hd-drugs-to-trea/31673/GBM0kv0Z_0mDwDda4ICFNQ

.....................................................................................................................................

I have also seen people use these successfully to get and stay off coke.

When I have seen the best results was when addy was exchanged for people that were really battling a crack or IV coke. Allowed them to stabalize a great deal and begin to address there addictions. It also kinda makes doing coke pretty pointless as it blocks the buzz for the most part. Lessens the cravings for many people as well. I really think the growing prevalence of these drugs in america I partially responsible for the significant drop in coke popularity.

I believe such studies have been tried before and found to have negligible success, sadly. I think the inherent differences in the properties of opioids and amphetamines make it unlikely that a widely successful amphetamine replacement therapy will ever be produced.

I think lisdexamfetamine may help stabilize patients in the same manner that methadone can help stabilize certain recreational users of heroin and chronic,'high' doses of other potent opioids.

I've been using both for a while and considering that the lisdex' can't be used in the same recreational manner as other Rx amphetamines, perhaps it could help at least maintain some much-needed normality in someone's life. And the fact that there's very little to almost no rush (based on my experience)... perhaps better in the long term than option B (a potentially expensive, up and down habit).

That being said, Vyvanse is actually quite expensive IMO. Still though - the benefits may outweigh the risks in some cases.

I'm thinking more of meth users though - to help them with the inevitable crash, which can be pretty awful (depressing) depending on dose, frequency, and tolerance.