Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

U.S. - UC Boulder loses some buds: school to shut down over pro-pot rally

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
UC Boulder loses some buds: school to shut down over pro-pot rally
Jorge Dan Lopez
RT
April 16th, 2012

The University of Colorado will be on lockdown this Friday, complete with campus police conducting checkpoints and demanding proper ID from everyone in sight. The reason? Authorities want to finally end the school’s annual pro-pot rally.

If you spend April 20 this year in Boulder, Colorado, stay far, far away from the city’s major college campus, caution authorities. No, there is no bomb threat expected for this Friday at UC Boulder, nor are police preparing for any visiting dignitaries to address the students. The cause for heightened security this time around is something much more serious, it would seem. School officials are sick and tired of an annual event that has brought people from across both the state and the country to smoke marijuana on campus.

Students have been toking up on the school’s campus every 4/20 for years now, with the annual event bringing in around 10,000 participants just in 2011. In the past campus police have resorted to dousing students with water and snapping their photos to publish them on the Web, offering cash bounties for the identifications of those caught smoking up. This time, the answer isn’t just public humiliation, though. Instead the school will be instituting authoritarian rule for one day in hopes of at least ending what has proven to be a peaceful protest in years past.

"We're at that point where we're saying, 'Enough,'" CU-Boulder spokesperson Bronson Hilliard said on Friday, reports the city’s 9 News television. "We don't want this on our campus."

To keep any questionable activity to a minimum, anyone without a school-sanctioned ID will be banned from campus on Friday. The Nolin Quad, where Alex Douglas of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws says he spotted 15,000 pro-pot ralliers in 2010, will be shut down entirely for the day.

Read the full story here.

facists. but its cool everytime they try to silence us we grow louder. They cant stop us they can only hope to slow us down. Fight da power!!!

I think I'll ask a friend about this who attends the college. I'm surprised they have this attitude in a town like Boulder. I've just heard its a fairly liberal town. Besides all of that, who are the students hurting?

How dare they not want people smoking illegal drugs on their property. Damn those fascists!

Lolrly? You guys seem to forget the whole illegality of this stuff, i'm all for this cause frankly 4/20 is a retarded holiday celebrated exclusively by retards.

Legality does not equate to correct. Just because something is illegal doesn't mean its wrong. This is a step in the right direction for Colorado which is moving toward decrim/legalization IIRC.

Your attitude is a qutters attitude, Newbierock and you're ridiculous for thinking that they should crackdown on pot smokers.

You're seriously ignorant and immature Newbierock. Comparing people who smoke pot on 4/20 to the mentally handicapped is cruel to both parties. Pot smokers aren't dumb and mentally handicapped people can't help their disability so if you're going to put people down for no reason, at least make it make sense.

Legality does not equate to correct. Just because something is illegal doesn't mean its wrong.

Comparing people who smoke pot on 4/20 to the mentally handicapped is cruel to both parties.

I have to agree with both of these statements.

And I have to say that the Colorado police are wasting taxpayer money on policing people who aren't hurting anyone.
Go catch some rapists, or get to work on the rape kits that lie in storage, untested, while the victims go to therapy for years and the rapists run free.
Go catch some white-collar criminals, who steal money from the middle- and lower- classes.
Go catch someone who is letting their dog poop on the sidewalk.
These things harm society.
Smoking weed does not.