• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

U.S. - Drug companies suing to keep their drugs out of executions

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
Drug companies don't want to be involved in executions, so they're suing to keep their drugs out
Mark Berman
The Washington Post
August 13th, 2018

Drug companies have made it clear that they don't want states using their products to carry out death sentences. They've imposed strict limits on who can buy the drugs used for lethal injections, asked states to return some chemicals and, in one case, completely stopped making a drug to keep it out of the nation's death chambers.

The strategy has helped cut states off from many of the drugs they have used or sought to use for lethal injections, causing authorities to scramble to find new drug combinations or different execution methods. But it hasn't entirely stopped states from getting the drugs they seek, so some companies have started testing a new tactic: Filing lawsuits aimed at keeping their drugs away from executions.

In three suits filed since last year, drug manufacturers and distributors have taken aim at states on the verge of carrying out executions, accusing them of using deceit to obtain the chemicals and demanding states return them. Experts say the drug companies are turning to the courts as a last resort.

"The companies have found that you have to up the ante because a threat is simply not enough," said Deborah W. Denno, a law professor at Fordham University and a death penalty expert.

While the lawsuits have had mixed results, Denno said she expects more could follow as companies further try to distance themselves from capital punishment.

Read the full story here.

Fucking stupid.

A lot of the drugs have generics. A new pro-death penalty drug company needs to make all the good stuff like the barbs, midazolam, fentanyl, the KCL, and the paralytic agents.

for the record....

As of August 14, 2018, there were 2,706 death row inmates in the United States.

https://www.prisonpolicy.org/graphs/pie2018.html

looks like 2.3 million in prison or jail or other detainment facilities.

We only sentence 0.001% of the prison population to death. It's for the worst of the worst people, aside from the drug traffickers (the feds rarely execute people; it's almost always the state though).

Fucking stupid.
I don't think so at all. I'm not so naive that I believe drug companies are being altruistic (esp. given the price gouging under the leadership of people like Heather Bresch and Martin Shkreli), but as multinational companies, I don't blame them for being concerned about their drugs being used in executions affecting their bottom line via global sales. And then there is the moral issue. As part of the medical establishment, they're in the healing business, not the killing business.

Captain.Heroin said:
We only sentence 0.001% of the prison population to death.

And yeah, how much does that .001% cost taxpayers; he decades of lawyering on both sides while cases wind their way through numerous appeals. Few people anymore debate that life imprisonment is cheaper in the long run. The only reason people support capital punishment is because of the "eye for an eye" mentality. Personally, and this is just my subjective opinion, I think knowing I'm going to eventually die in prison (at my age that could be 40 years unless I got shanked or slocked or whatever) might be the worse option. 40 years of boredom, violence and shitty food. Think about it.

Or maybe funded a private drug company?

We should just give Halliburton more money.

NSFW:
maxresdefault.jpg

I believe drug companies are being altruistic

They're in it for the money, and are concerned sales will go down if people are against the death penalty.

Their sense of altruism is limited to their stock price and the impact it would have on investors' lives.

unless I got shanked

Probably the type of person to do this is someone who's already imprisoned for life, and has nothing to lose.

Prison might not be such a terrible, violent place if we took out all the real sociopaths. A lot of people imprisoned aren't necessarily horrible people.

Just a perspective. The state should have some ability to prune away at the human race, given what we're capable of (and what some people actually do), and that there's 7 billion of us.

Way to take what I said out of context CH. Please reread what I actually wrote:

aihfl said:
I'm not so naive that I believe drug companies are being altruistic (esp. given the price gouging under the leadership of people like Heather Bresch and Martin Shkreli)

Captain.Heroin said:
The state should have some ability to prune away at the human race, given what we're capable of (and what some people actually do), and that there's 7 billion of us.

Are you serious CH? Executions as a means of population control? I'm sorry but that smacks of Nazi era ideas. And lets say all 2,706 death row inmates in the US were executed. Do you really believe that would make a dent in world population? It would reduce world population by .00000039%.

Last edited by a moderator:
Way to take what I said out of context CH. Please reread what I actually wrote:

Are you serious CH? Executions as a means of population control? I'm sorry but that smacks of Nazi era ideas. And lets say all 2,706 death row inmates in the US were executed. Do you really believe that would make a dent in world population? It would reduce world population by .00000039%.

It's not a means of population control. However it's important to keep in mind if we were an endangered species, the death penalty would seem immoral to me. We, however, are not.

It would be like car manufacturers suing Fields for ramming his car into the group of protesters, it just doesn't seem right to me. However, I really hope they give Fields the death penalty for what he did.

"Healing business not killing business" no, they manufacture drugs. Drugs are like double edged swords, with positive and negative properties. Trying to hush-hush the side effects, lethal potential of a product, is a dangerous precedent the tobacco and alcohol companies have enjoyed for too long. Why let the pharmaceutical industry have such an advantage?

Last edited by a moderator:
"Healing business not killing business" no, they manufacture drugs. Drugs are like double edged swords, with positive and negative properties. Trying to hush-hush the side effects, lethal potential of a product, is a dangerous precedent the tobacco and alcohol companies have enjoyed for too long. Why let the pharmaceutical industry have such an advantage?
CH, your argument once again defies logic. I smoked from ages 16-27 and then again from age 41 to now (44 now). Come on.

1. Does anyone really believe that tobacco isn't harmful? As comedian Denis Leary said in his No Cure for Cancer routine, "I thought they were good for you! I thought they had vitamins in 'em and shit." Same with alcohol. I've had numerous doctors tell me I'd be dead in 5-7 years if I kept drinking at the rate I was. Did that stop me? [rhetorical question] Opioids dangerous? Wow, I had no idea when I used one of my late dad's fentanyl patches when he was a terminal cancer patient *sarcasm*.

2. Alcohol and tobacco aren't used medically. Trying to compare alcohol and tobacco to drugs that are used medically is, and I'm being diplomatic here, comparing apples to oranges.

People can be ignorant of the risks. Many don’t understand the many diseases tobacco is associated with, even if they are aware of the cancer risk.

Nicotine analogs, etc are and will be prescribed. Many people self-medicate (often inappropriately) with alcohol and nicotine.

They are all drugs.

What if the federal government made its own drug company exclusively for that use? Or maybe funded a private drug company?

That's exactly what i was going to say. They only have to hire a small group of people and a small lab to make enough drugs for lethal injection. That way they can actually get a consistent supply without drug companies objecting.