• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

U.S. - Calif. bill to let San Francisco open safe injection site vetoed by governor

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
California bill to let SF open safe drug-injection site is vetoed by Brown
Melody Gutierrez
San Francisco Chronicle
September 30th, 2018

SACRAMENTO -- Gov. Jerry Brown rejected San Francisco's plan to allow safe injection facilities for illicit drug users, saying Sunday that he was concerned about exposing local officials and health care professionals to potential federal criminal charges.

In vetoing AB186, the governor also said he was not convinced the bill would lead to drug users getting the treatment they need to get clean.

The bill by Assemblywoman Susan Eggman, D-Stockton, would have created a four-year pilot program in San Francisco aimed at reducing opioid overdoses and encouraging users to go into treatment by giving them supervised facilities to inject themselves and ride out the high under clinical supervision.

The Trump administration warned that if California allowed the sites, those involved could be subject to civil and criminal action.

Read the full story here.

Fuck Trump for threatening people trying to improve the welfare of others. Absolutely disgusting.

These programs attract degenerates. I mean, obviously... Injection site for the homeless?

My town had big problems until they moved the wet shelter to the middle of nowhere, keeping the crackheads out of the downtown area.

You can't just keep moving the problem somewhere else. Also these programs can actually save money for the cities. These sites reduce public spending on health and maintenance. Less people with health issues and less repairing drug dens and cleaning needles. Finally, these programs can help put people in touch with social services and help when they most need it.

I don't know how you can frequent a Harm-Reduction Forum and call people degenerates. Most of the population would classify you as one, I would think you'd have a little more compassion.