Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

U.N. development chief flags failings of "war on drugs"

edgarshade

Bluelighter
Reuters

By Gabriel Stargardter
MEXICO CITY | Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:57am GMT

With reader comments

(Reuters) - There is increasing evidence that the war on drugs has failed, with criminalization often creating more problems than it solves, said Helen Clark, the head of the United Nations Development Program. Speaking ahead of Thursday's presentation of the UNDP's 2013 Human Development Report, Clark, a former New Zealand prime minister, said Latin American leaders should be encouraged to develop different policies to tackle the drug scourge.

"I've been a health minister in my past and there's no doubt that the health position would be to treat the issue of drugs as primarily a health and social issue rather than a criminalized issue," Clark told Reuters in an interview. "Once you criminalize, you put very big stakes around. Of course, our world has proceeded on the basis that criminalization is the approach," she added. Clark did not prescribe remedies to the Latin American governments but said they should "act on evidence," noting that she favoured treating drugs as a public health problem.

More...
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/03/15/uk-un-drugs-idUKBRE92E01R20130315

A brave person, too bad she doesn't lead in the Narco office in UN.

good news. That's 2 UN officials speaking out against the WoD in the past 2 weeks. Hopefully a series of countries move to oppose the prohibitionist cartel.

Drugs are going to have to be dealt with as a health issue. Throwing more trillions of dollars at it is not going to change anything. How about throwing trillions at helping addicts and minimising the harm associated with drug abuse.

Hummm...

Please someone ring a bell when the name "Raymond Yans" pops up relatively to some of his own move on the pro-cannabic side!

I've got something to evaluate in my veranda in the meantime... Too bad i can't link directly to a musical interlude (i guess?):

NSFW:

Ouch! Look ma: double-nested!!

images

...i just hope this will be more acceptable and not mistaken for something else!...

=D

Last edited: