• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Tylenol Found to Reduce Anxiety Over ‘Existential Uncertainty and Death’

Bluelight Crew
http://gawker.com/5994905/tylenol-found-to-reduce-anxiety-over-existential-uncertainty-and-death

Researchers at the University of British Columbia say they've discovered yet another use for Tylenol besides breaking a fever and relieving pain: Reducing anxiety associated with "thoughts of existential uncertainty and death."

Published in the journal Psychological Science, the research involved a double-blind study in which several groups of participants were given either Tylenol-brand acetaminophen or a placebo.

Members of the Tylenol groups reported feeling less upset following conversations about death and other existential topics.

"Nobody has shown this before, and we are surprised that the effect emerged so robustly," said lead researcher Daniel Randles, "that a drug meant primarily to alleviate headaches also prevents people from being bothered all that much by thinking about death. It was certainly surprising."

One of the study groups was tasked with watching a "surreal [and] confusing" short film by David Lynch and discussing it afterwards.

The researchers found that those who had taken the Tylenol did not experience feelings of existential dread and "looked just like the control group that hadn't talked about their death or watched the unpleasant [film] clip."

Previous studies have already determined the effects acetaminophen can have on social anxiety due to its impact on the dorsal anterior cingulate cortex — the part of the brain that handles both physical pain and social distress.

One study noted by PsychCentral found that Tylenol can also be useful in reducing "the non-physical pain of being ostracized from friends."

http://gawker.com/5994905/tylenol-found-to-reduce-anxiety-over-existential-uncertainty-and-death

I wonder which David Lynch short film they saw. The best one of the ones I've watched is The Grandmother:

That does seem like a very specific effect. It's like finding that Pepto-Bismol makes people want to befriend squirrels

^ I agree. But we don't understand the mechanisms at play, and in 20 years I think an entire new level of understanding will be achieved.

That being said, I think every one wants to befriend squirrels. =D

That does seem like a very specific effect. It's like finding that Pepto-Bismol makes people want to befriend squirrels

I see what you are saying, but I wonder if Tylenol reduces "existential pain" in addition to physical pain, so it actually makes sense..

Is there a difference between existential pain and depression?

Mucho interesting! Who comes up with studies like this? And better still, who underwrites them?

It shouldn't come as a shock to anyone who knows even basic pharmacology that acetaminophen is psychoactive. A large component of all the neuro-hormonal pathways we subjectively experience as "pain" takes place within the CNS, after all. Psychiatrists have long known that a person's mental state before, during, and after a painful stimulus has major effects on both the subjective and objectively measurable bodily responses to it. Couple that with the fact that unpleasant mental states we describe with the word "pain" appear to light up the same areas on neuroimaging that physically painful stimuli do, except without the PNS component of the neurological loop.

Existential terror shares something huge in common with physical pain -- they both can (but don't always) trigger a perception of immanent threat. It may be that "Mayday! Mayday!" signal in the brain's emotional centers that Tylenol dampens down.

Similarly, I found ketamine absolutely peerless and priceless for coming to grips with death, an effect that seems to have been lasting for me. No coincidence it eliminates pain entirely, methinks. I'm also reminded of how the Dharmic religions prescribe meditation as the treatment for existential angst, and many pain sufferers have found meditation to be an asset to making their symptoms more tolerable.

I'll play Captain Obvious here for the sake of harm reduction for noobs, and point out that psychoactive does not imply either recreational or intoxicating, necessarily. Acetaminophen is toxic at doses >3g/d, folx.

Last edited:
^ Nice post, MDAO.
The fact that what metaphors (such as the use of the word pain in "existential pain") are hard-wired is something we linguists are absolutely enamored with recently. So, we get very excited when we see something like this.

No wonder so many people say lortabs and lorcets work better than norcos. I always thought they were just dumbasses, lol.

APAP apparently has been shown to bind to certain cannabis receptors, so that may have something ti do with it.