View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines vs phenethylamines stimulation

Synaps3

Bluelighter
So I've tried a few psychedelics. Pretty much all the 4-ho-xxx tryptamines and also 2c-i. I am now looking for something new to take, but I really dislike stimulants of any kind (I am very susceptible to anxiety). I enjoyed most of the tryptamines I tried, but I really disliked the 2c-i because it was way too stimulating. I was thinking about trying another phen like 2c-c because it is known to be more sedating. But really, how much more sedating is it? Is it like a tryptamine or is it just the least stimulating phen?

Some others I am thinking about are mescaline derivatives (specifically methallylescaline) and LSD or LSD derivatives. How stimulating are they compared to say, 4-aco-dmt?

To make this more clear. Maybe you can compare 4 sub tryptamines to these:
5-meo
2c-x
LSD derivatives
mescaline derivatives

If I wanted something with similar stimulation to a 4 sub, which category should I look at?

None of the 4-XX-Tryptamines are particularly stimulating. Miprocin and metocin feel heavenly and relaxing like mushrooms. 2C-I was very stimulating for me also, quit taking it because of that. But 2C-B, 2C-C, and 2C-D seem free from stimulation. There is a little with 2C-D, but not much.

The only 5-MeO-T that feels good in my body (besides 5-MeO-DMT) is 5-MeO-MET. That one was awesome. The simply dialkyltryptamines (specifically MET, MiPT, DiPT) are also easy to tolerate/free of stimulation.

DPT has quite a stimulating edge. I felt like my arms were plugged into an electrical socket.

I find the 2c drugs have more of a long lasting full body stimulation that is almost comparable to too much caffeine, minus the racing heart. They also produce more muscle tenseness

It's not so simple as "phens vs. tryps".
It can largely depend on your specific physological disposition towards psychedelics.
For example 5-MeO-MiPT was VERY VERY stimulating for me, but 2c-c wasn't at all stimulating.
With that being said most people find mescaline and LSD analogues to be less stimulating than 2c-x or 25x-NBOMe compounds and would be your best bet at having a level of stimulation similar to 4-sub tryptamines, although I myself found 4-HO-MiPT as well to be stimulating but 4-AcO-DMT to be quite relaxed

2CC is my favorite phen and I've tried nearly all of the common ones. They all seem a lot harsher on your body compared to the trypts I've dabbled in. 2CC is for sure, the most relaxed and easy going phen I've had. But, from what I remember it still gave you a more pronounced "body stim feeling" which, compared to say, 4HO MiPT, is non existent. Believe me, it's not like 2CI, it is quite gentle. But it's definitely got that energy tucked away in there. If that helps.

2CB, 2CC, and 2CI are in the same sub family and I would describe them as having an "electric" feel to them. Whereas 2CD, 2CE, and 2CP (which I've never tried), belong to another family but I would not give them this electric type description. They seem a lot more nasty, a lot less easy going, definitely harsher on the body. But from this you get long lasting, intense and deep trips. IMO not worth it, but it depends what you're after. In comparison to the 2CTs I've had, 2CT2 and 2CT7 are both just... yucky but cool visuals.

If you don't want to feel gross I wouldn't try others except 2CC. But all my drugs are taken for recreational purposes and always orally.

Last edited:
Phenethyamines and LSD are markedly stimulating in my experience, while DMT is quite sedating.

If you dislike stimulation, do not take LSD.

LSD is the only true stimulatory tryptamine I've taken.

Psilocin, Psilacetin, DMT, Melatonin- all have dreamier/sedative qualities or the latter N-acetyl-5-methoxytryptamine improves REM sleep and can help somewhat ease one into a state of sleep.

MDxx compounds i.e. MDMA are phens and as commonly known are very stimulating/entactogenic, although MDE-like phens can be "stoning" according to Shulgin. I will love to try some Eve, but doubt its even in existence anymore.

Last edited:
I would kind of describe the two in this way; phens will generally give you more of a classic stem feeling while I would describe the stimulation you get from trypts as more of an excited energy rather than traditional "stimulation".

I'm going to parrot many of the other posts and say that of the 2Cs I've tried (D,I,E,C,B) 2C-C was by far my favorite and the least stimulating of the 5 I listed. I've actually fallen asleep on 36mg while getting a back massage, heaven...