• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Trying to quit meth

KentuckyHippe1886

Greenlighter
Snorted a gram within the last week. 2 weeks ago was the last time I iv’d(had been doing so for about a month give or take) I’m wondering what should I expect as far as how I will feel. Last line I took was this morning. I recently was prescribed Wellbutrin but haven’t take any yet. I also have trazodone. Any tips/advice?

I may not be the best person to give advice here given that I have failed to quit meth every week for the last few months. However it is still on my to-do list and I’ve managed a few weeks of abstinence here and there.

As far as how you will feel, usually the first 2-3 days after your last use feel fine but around day 3 or 4 you will become incredibly lethargic. Like totally unable to get out of bed lethargic. However how bad it is depends a bit on how heavy and how long your use was. If you are unlucky, this is when your major comedown will commence. It is common for the first experience of a meth comedown to be pretty horrific, with lots of anxiety and existential dread verging on panic with a side serving of bleak despair. This does not last too long, maybe 2-3 days, again depending on prior use, and it can be alleviated with benzos (alcohol tends to make it worse). Some people find that an atypical antipsychotic like Seroquel or Abilify will completely block the comedown horror. Once that passes you will begin to move back towards your baseline normal mood over a week or two, although you may find yourself more anxious or depressed than usual for sometime. During this period you may find that you are aggressive and quick to anger. In a month tops, you’ll feel fine.

Your enemy is cravings. They can occur anytime from day 2-3 up to weeks or months after your last use. They are extremely difficult to kill and you need to develop some kind of strategy to cope with them [this is where my advice becomes theoretical as I’ve not really done this yet. But having a solid structure to your day with a number of small commitments to keep you focussed is recommended as is an exercise plan. Exercise is probably crucial - going to gym same time everyday is a good thing. Another crucial thing is to have someone who knows what you are going through that you can vent to and talk with when cravings get bad - talk it out with them until the feelings pass. Doesn’t have to be a fellow drug user, I once used my dad. In fact, it is best to get all drug users out of your life and delete their numbers and possibly change your phone number. Needless to say that goes for dealers as well.

Finally, hydration and good nourishment speed the recovery process.

There is actually quite a lot of other useful advice but digest this first and we’ll see what anybody else has to add. It does not sound that you have been using for that long, so your comedown and recovery might be relatively easy.

Thank you I appreciate it. Do u know anything about Wellbutrin? Can that maybe help as far as cravings go?

There are quite a few academic studies of Wellbutrin showing it is effective at reducing cravings. However, the challenge might be getting someone to prescribe it for meth as it is not recommended / approved for that purpose.

Have you tried Kratom? I’m pretty new to taking it, but it seems to be helping in my overall recovery.

Depends on how long and how much you've been using. You said you had been using IV meth for a month but did you use it before that? If you've only been using meth for a month in total then you shouldn't expect anything except for possible cravings and maybe some lethargy for a couple of days.
Now, if you were binging hard and barely sleeping&eating then you would of course crash very hard for a couple of days since your body would be exhausted.

For me meth doesn't really have any significant WD, even from daily use ( though I use "low" doses and sleep every night). However, I do experience a general lack of motivation sometimes, but that may come weeks after my last use.

As always: exercising, keeping your mind busy and eating healthy will help your brain get back to its normal state.
Something very important is to avoid the places where you used to do meth, stimulants induce a very strong conditioned place preference. If you don't avoid those places you might experience very strong cravings and you won't even know why.

As a looong time user, best advice I can give is to find the worst before/ after photo you can find and use as screen saver. Well butrin helps, also search amazon for meth withdrawal. Good otc supplements on there. Helped me kick a yr long daily binge cold Turkey. 90 days of rabbit hole hell though, tbh. Micro dosing psylo helps with the depression and angst. Best wishes

There are quite a few academic studies of Wellbutrin showing it is effective at reducing cravings. However, the challenge might be getting someone to prescribe it for meth as it is not recommended / approved for that purpose.
Another drug that has fairly consistently positive outcomes for reducing cravings in the literature seems to be sustained release Ritalin.

From my experiences you may have a day or 2 were your a little lazy then that’s about it. It’s been said here already but the CRAVING to get high and the boredom of straight life is what you need to battle. Start excercising and start eating Get a new hobby to keep your mind off of getting high. That’s about it from meth. It’s not like coming off opiates. It really has minimal physical withdrawal. Good luck believe in yourself!!!