• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Troublesome housemates and bill sharing

footscrazy

Bluelight Crew
Hello all,

I live in shared accomodation - my two housemates own the house, and I pay rent to them. Our arrangement has always been to split bills evenly. However, while I'm thrifty when it comes to energy use, my housemates are not. Now it's heating up, my housemates have started using a big, portable air conditioner. They lug it around to follow them. IMO, the way they use it is ridiculous - the last two days it has been left on in their room for an extended period, with the window open, and whilst they're not even in the room! This shits me to tears. I don't want to pay for this energy usage, which I think is stupid and wasteful, and which I don't even get any benefit from, given it's always trained solely on them. So, I'm after opinions - do you think it's reasonable for me to bring this up, and to expect that I should pay a bit less for power? Or if we've agreed to split bills evenly, do I just have to lump it?

The fact my housemates own the house while I rent has made me less sure of the rules with this kind of thing. They're messy too - their lower standards of cleanliness are something else that really bothers me - but I sometimes feel that it's their house and that as such I'm on a bit of the lower foot here. But I think power is different - I'm paying just as much as them for that. I had the same issue in winter, when they used those small, incredibly inefficient portable heaters all the time. The air conditioner is really just too much though. It's such a downer - I get so frustrated every time I walk past and see this thing guzzling power needlessly.

What's the best course of action? I know it's impossible to be completely even with power/gas/water usage, but this is starting to take the piss.

It's reasonable to bring it up but if I was renting my house out and somebody was complaining about my air conditioning habits I might take offense. How much is the electric bill per month and what are you suggesting the new split should be?

Portable AC units still have exhaust hoses that have to be set up in the window. Are you talking about an evaporative air cooler? If so, those are much more efficient than air conditioning units.

^ You're right. It's an evaporative cooler. I feel so silly, but thankfully that makes the situation a whole lot better, as they're much more energy efficient, as you said. I can live with that!