• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health trouble with Klonopin after taking xanax for years

Benzo_91

Greenlighter
I was diagnosed in late 2009 with Social Anxiety and was prescribed Xanax for daily use, but eventually felt like I needed a change since xanax doesn't last long in your system long at all. About a year ago I made the switch to Klonopin because of the longer half life, and it seemed like it was doing well but since I've made the switch its been rough overall.

-Everytime I have an interview for a job I end up not going at the last minute.
-going out to social events with my family/ children is extremely hard.
- physical side effects (racing heart, flushed face, sweating, avoiding social interaction, losing friends, fear of seeing someone i know from the past, etc)
-even when I up the dose with my klonopin it doesn't make a difference.. still the same sides.

I always thought benzos were benzos, period.. and that klonopin would benefit me more than xanax because of the longer half life, but after doing some research on here it seems like certain people benefit from certain benzos depending on your personal circumstances. I'm contemplating on trying Valium, or just going back to xanax. I'm also tempted to add a beta blocker for the physical sides..either that or add pregabalin.

What are your thoughts? I plan on getting off of benzos for good with a slow taper, but my familys in debt and I need to get everything stable financially before i start the taper.

I've found after being on various benzo's for years that they lose their effects to some extent. Like your brain just gets used to one type, but switching to another benzo can have completely different effects, even at an 'equivalent' dose. They are cross tolerant to an extent - but a benzo isn't a benzo like a calorie isn't always a calorie.

I used to love diazapam, and now I can't stand it. It used to make me feel calm, confident, euphoric with no drowsiness. Now it just makes me sleepy, and sneeze a lot.

I used to hate klonopin and get no relief from it - now it's my favourite benzo and manages my anxiety better than the alternatives.

Xanax I love/hate. If I take it occasionally I find it euphoric, but daily use I can't stand it after 2 weeks.

Do you do anything to manage your anxiety?

No matter what the benzo - you will develop tolerance and eventually your anxiety will increase far worse than it was before - there's no way around it. You can increase the dose / change the benzo - but it's all a short term solution. I'd suggest finding a dose/benzo you feel comfortable on while you sort your shit out and stabilise for a while on a dose where you can function.

In the mean time you need to find other ways to manage your anxiety without benzo's. Even when you do begin a taper, the anxiety is still there waiting. You need to have the skills and support around you to cope with it, otherwise you'll end up in the exact situation.

I've found SMART meetings useful for learning the skills to stick to a taper. It's non religious, free, just practical advice for reducing drug usage.

Thank you for the advice. I've never been in any counseling or any meetings, but I'll definitely look into SMART. I know that benzos are a temporary bandaid (I literally can't wait to get on a proper taper and be done with this shit. Almost 8 years of daily use is way too long.)

there's definitely an underlying cause that needs to be dealt with through therapy. Exercise has always been something that's helped me relieve stress and anxiety but exercise isn't something that will help with my Social phobia. It sounds like I may just need to switch back to Xanax/ possibly Valium, get my finances right, and then start a slowwwww taper. Any other tips during my withdrawal process? Thanks again for the feedback.

This might sound weird but I think Jiu Jitsu is the ultimate therapy/cure for social anxiety - IF you can drag yourself to a class and stick with it regularly.

Everyone is chill as fuck, they welcome newbies, no one has an ego, everyone is friendly, you instantly forget your social anxiety when you're having to basically 'mount' a complete stranger. Doubly so if it's a hot girl.

You are trying not to get strangled unconscious while rolling (like sparring in boxing) and believe me, anxiety is the last thing on your mind.

You make new friends very quickly due to the forced closeness with other members.

Everyone there is actively trying to improve themselves - often for the exact same reasons you are.

It combines EVERYTHING humans need to get over anxiety IMO.

Social connection, friendship, close social bonds, being part of a tribe, hard physical activity, ability to fight, confidence, fitness, mental stimulation, meditative (takes your mind off anxiety for an hour), learn proper breathing techniques.

Re Tips for the actual taper - liquid titration is typically easier to handle, with small daily reductions. I'll post some info later - but there's a lot of ways to do it. Youtube has plenty of tutorials.

It's easier than it sounds. You just dissolve your dose in 300mls of water, and remove 1ml on day one, 2ml on day 2, 3ml on day 3 etc.
You split it up into 3 even doses to take throughout the day to stop interdose withdrawal. It keeps your blood levels a lot more even during the day and is more accurate than dry cutting the pills.

You are basically reducing the dose 0.33% daily, or 10% per month this way.

I'm a blue belt =D i've been with gracie barra on and off for 3 years and it most definitely helps with my anxiety. once i get out of debt ill be back in the gym. just can't afford it at the moment... i'll definitely do some research on liquid titration also.