• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Trojan Shield: How the FBI Secretly Ran a Phone Network for Criminals

sigmond

Bluelight Crew
New court records detail how the FBI turned encrypted phone company 'Anom' into a honeypot for organized crime.

Joseph Cox
By Joseph Cox

For years the FBI has secretly run an encrypted communications app used by organized crime in order to surreptitiously collect its users' messages and monitor criminals' activity on a massive scale, according to a newly unsealed court document. In all, the elaborate operation netted more than 20 million messages from over 11,800 devices used by suspected criminals.

The news signals a major coup for law enforcement: ordinarily, agencies either shut down or crack messages on an already established service, such as Phantom Secure or Encrochat, two similar encrypted messaging networks. But in this case, the FBI took control of a communications company called Anom in its infancy and turned that into a wide-reaching honeypot, with the suspected criminal users instead coming to them.

"The FBI opened a new covert investigation, Operation Trojan Shield, which centered on exploiting Anom by inserting it into criminal networks and working with international partners, including the Australian Federal Police (“AFP”), to monitor the communications," the unsealed court record reads, referring to Anom, the app at the center of the investigation. Seamus Hughes, a researcher at George Washington University, shared the document with Motherboard.

The AFP began going public with the contours of Anom Tuesday morning local time, and announced it had begun making arrests with data pulled from the honeypot.
In 2018, the FBI arrested Vincent Ramos, the CEO of Phantom Secure, which provided custom, privacy-focused devices to organized criminals. In the wake of that arrest, a confidential human source (CHS) who previously sold phones on behalf of Phantom and another firm called Sky Global, was developing their own encrypted communications product.

This CHS then "offered this next generation device, named 'Anom,' to the FBI to use in ongoing and new investigations," the court document reads. While criminals left Phantom, they flocked to other offerings. One of those was Anom; the FBI started what it called Operation Trojan Shield, in which it effectively operated a communications network targeted to criminals and intercepted messages running across it.

The FBI, AFP, and CHS built the Anom system in such a way that a master key silently attached itself to every message set through the app, enabling "law enforcement to decrypt and store the message as it is transmitted," the document reads. "A user of Anom is unaware of this capability," it adds.

But first the FBI and their source needed to establish Anom as an option in the criminal underworld. As Motherboard showed in a years-long investigation, using sources around Phantom as well as FBI files, Phantom was particularly popular in Australia. The CHS introduced Anom to his already trusted distributors of mobile devices, who were in turn trusted by criminal organizations, the document reads. Three people in Australia who had previously distributed Phantom, "seeing a huge payday," agreed to then sell these Anom devices, the document adds. With this, "the FBI aimed to grow the use of Anom organically through these networks," it reads.

Trojan Shield: How the FBI Secretly Ran a Phone Network for Criminals

the only people caught were idiots lol. There was a blog post exposing it was a FBI scam way back.

the only people caught were idiots lol. There was a blog post exposing it was a FBI scam way back.

Bingo.

You'd had to have been retarded to use something like this.

And they even spent money on it. They paid to be spied on.

I couldn't resist (quoted from another thread)... :ROFLMAO:

lmao people really talking about burners in 2021 and burners that run apps and shit like that

I'll translate that to millenial:

👮‍♀️ 👮‍♂️ 🔎 🔥 📱 🗺️ 📍⛓️ 🔐 😥

Here you go...

Last edited:
Where can I read this blog ?

So what will be the effect on drug availability of locking up 800 idiots, in your opinion ?

It is so easy to write a P2P encrypted chat app that I am tempted to do it and open source it.
It is much more difficult to secure the phone's OS and firmware, though.

Last edited:

So what will be the effect on drug availability of locking up 800 idiots, in your opinion ?

It is so easy to write a P2P encrypted chat app that I am tempted to do it and open source it.

I'm not expecting it to make any difference at all. I've seen piles of these "big setbacks for organized crime".

To be honest I think of it as all a bit of a joke.

it’s such a global situation that both sides of this doomed conflict are trying to skirt laws by targeting desired activities to favorable international legal zones.

Significant disruption of established black market economies often go hand and with increased violence and brutality.

with this disruption of established supply chains will we see positive outcomes or more dangerous products being distributed with increased violence?

Last edited:
This is why you only use open source encryption.

Exactly. This was crazy, they paid money to be spied upon rather than pay nothing for something that might actually work.

with this disruption of established supply chains will we see positive outcomes or more dangerous products being distributed with increased violence?

I don't think this will involve any real disruption to supply.

It remains to be seen how many of these cases will hold up in the courts of the various countries involved, given the possibility that this could be interpreted as a massive, warrantless violation of privacy rights. Unless the prosecutors can prove that all users of the software were necessarily using it for criminal purposes, then shouldn't the inclusion of a backdoor which collects everything everybody says and sends it to the police be an enormous rights breach? These will not be slam-dunk prosecutions, that's for sure.

Last edited:

Such as signal :)

Have to be some pretty nervous high level drug dealers out there that have no idea who they can trust after this. We will see what effects it seems to have.

interesting that they published this? Could have just let it keep paying out. It also stated that a bunch more people are going to get popped soon.

It remains to be seen how many of these cases will hold up in the courts of the various countries involved, given the possibility that this could be interpreted as a massive, warrantless violation of privacy rights. Unless the prosecutors can prove that all users of the software were necessarily using it for criminal purposes, then shouldn't the inclusion of a backdoor which collects everything everybody says and sends it to the police be an enormous rights breach? These will not be slam-dunk prosecutions, that's for sure.

Australia is not America.

Of the issues the authorities may have, the lawfulness of the operation is not one I would anticipate, neither would I expect the vast majority of Australians to give a shit about this from any kind of civil rights perspective.

Australia is not America.

Of the issues the authorities may have, the lawfulness of the operation is not one I would anticipate, neither would I expect the vast majority of Australians to give a shit about this from any kind of civil rights perspective.

Its not about the law in Australia though, everyone caught there is fucked, its about the laws in America. The US government just ran a warrantless mass surveillance fishing expedition by basing all the wiretapping ops overseas. So why not do that all the time? They would never need a judge to sign off on a warrant again. Its one thing to share illicitly gained national security, ie terrorist info, but Americans have some rights here and I think they were trampled on.

Its not about the law in Australia though, everyone caught there is fucked, its about the laws in America. The US government just ran a warrantless mass surveillance fishing expedition by basing all the wiretapping ops overseas. So why not do that all the time? They would never need a judge to sign off on a warrant again. Its one thing to share illicitly gained national security, ie terrorist info, but Americans have some rights here and I think they were trampled on.

Well in the US I agree this may well run into legal problems.

A very disturbing trend. From the offshore torture of 911 terrorists and unfortunate innocents to the targeting of US non combatant citizens, whistle blowers, activists and journalists its so unamerican and disgusting it makes true Americans vomit.

When you become worse then the awful nightmare your fighting your the new nightmare.

The US government has many great and admirable parts. These need to intact legislation to rein in and eventually eliminate rouge factions using international law to legitimize their crimes.

The United States true power lies in being just, not in tech facilitated oppression and unjust power.
UjUnhrHQ2fKvCmcs9

Last edited:
Wow thats quite a story. Open source it is, as suggested. If youre on an android get an f-droid apk and then install some sourc from the official channel onto it. There is some good stuff there.

VPN. Proton is good as well for vpn. Mullvad is another one and its free.

Heres another tip These cookie blockers, the big ones. Theyve sold out to certain companies. You will never be able to truly block all cookies.

Fuck its annoying how much we get tracked. I mostly dont bother with all this stuff because I dont really give a shit but I do have a strong intetest in cybersecurity. Its pretty cool stuff. You can pretty well assume that the government has the best tools though. Every once in awhile theyll leak. Its beyond what the hacker community has, generally. The government will hire the best blackhat hackers and put a white cap on them with full salary afterall.

Who can you trust the Feds? Lmao

Oh darn it image free zone?!
games-artist-render-top1.jpg

I suppose it brings this media to mind more than anything else for me